Sign in to follow this  
Brick City

Lego Grocery Store WIP

Hey, hey, hey! Theo here, with a work in progress! Today I have the opportunity to show you my Grocery store modular. This was made up of random pieces (mostly from the Pet Shop, Palace Cinema, and Parisian Restaurant sets) from my collection, and is my best attempt at a Modular building MOC yet. This post will be rather picture heavy, so I'll try to make things brief.

26169321862_77d2d1ba8e.jpgUntitled by brickcity868, on Flickr

This creation sits on a 32x32 grey baseplate. I haven't

I been counting the pieces, but it must be somewhere in the thousands by now. Remember, this is still a WIP. Here's a view from the front...

26169321022_82884d79ea.jpgUntitled by brickcity868, on Flickr

...and the back...

25656975984_05f10137e3.jpgUntitled by brickcity868, on Flickr

...sorry, the back is pretty ugly, but the plan is to have it butting up to a wall, so it won't be seen. The hole next to the doors is temporary. I was originally going to put a garage door there, but I decided not too, as it would overly complicate things, and it wouldn't really matter functionally. Sometimes, you have to economize.

And now for some exterior shots:

26261762735_cfc0ac8855.jpgUntitled by brickcity868, on Flickr

The sidewalk is pretty straightforward. It isn't completely modular-compatible, but it wont be facing a street either, so it's all good.

25659068583_94a7fb163a.jpgUntitled by brickcity868, on Flickr

One of the main features on the front are the French doors. Here, one of the employees, Greg, is opening up the shop.

A top view of the French doors:

25659059393_be4c1efa37.jpgUntitled by brickcity868, on Flickr

The SNOT bricks above the doors will hold some detail later, I just don't know what. Any suggestions for some facade details?

26169311062_85f5caa304.jpgUntitled by brickcity868, on Flickr

The flag is just a temporary addition. I'll try to work through all the European flags. In the meantime, this shop is in The Netherlands.

Here are some window details:

25988894630_dea00a5fc7.jpgUntitled by brickcity868, on Flickr

The billboard/shop sign is a work in progress. Eventually I will print off some stickers to put on it.

26261753705_b28c44aab6.jpgUntitled by brickcity868, on Flickr

I didn't bother to post the chimney here, as it's really ugly, but in time I'll fix it.

And now for the interior:

26169309962_da9d9945b1.jpgUntitled by brickcity868, on Flickr

The entire first floor is the grocery shop. I modeled this (sort-of) after my local Whole Foods. I'm not sure if they have Whole foods stores outside of the US, but the idea is similar to any good grocery store: healthy, nutritious food, with a good selection. Unfortunately, my store doesn't exactly have optimal selection, but again, this is still a work in progress.

Some random shots of the inside of the store:

26169312062_5f597235e2.jpgUntitled by brickcity868, on Flickr

25988889830_0a370b4968.jpgUntitled by brickcity868, on Flickr

26169305472_0e620755d2.jpgUntitled by brickcity868, on Flickr

And now, to the second floor...

The second floor consists of a small coffee shop, and the in-store restaurant. It has a small counter, a brick oven, and various appliances.

25656960104_f872dd1d4c.jpgUntitled by brickcity868, on Flickr

Here, Larry the Pirate orders a coffee, and a cupcake. Pirates need their energy at the beginning of the day, you know. :wink:

26195497931_9e2c1387af.jpgUntitled by brickcity868, on Flickr

So that about wraps things up for now. I will be coming back with updates as things progress. Comments, Praise, and anything else is welcome below. I'd love to hear from you all. Thanks again! :classic:

Triple complements on the French doors!

A grocery store, eh? Most of the ones where I live also have a bakery inside...just something you might find useful in the future.

Shop looks great, very modular!

Thanks everyone! Yes, a bakery and a butcher are planned for the future-and yes, I do think that the olive green looks great- it has a sort of natural look to it that I feel is great for a grocery store. I'm planning on finishing the roof and façade first. Once I have that to my liking, I'll finish up the interior. Stay tuned :)

Love the doors, and overall design of the building. I've never shopped at a Whole Foods but no shopping carts? Just one or two would help the "look" . :classic:

Love the doors, and overall design of the building. I've never shopped at a Whole Foods but no shopping carts? Just one or two would help the "look" . :classic:

They're in the works. I just need to get more small wheeled pieces.

Love the design, are you planning to tile the floor?

Yup, after my next pick-a-brick visit.

I like it so far! Nice coloursheme, I love that olive green!

Hope to see the finished project soon! :wink:

Looks great so far! Love the french doors.