The Middleman

I've heard of obsession...

Just think of it like this, at least they didn't go with 'Visorak Keelerak' ;)

Jon.

Just think of it like this, at least they didn't go with 'Visorak Keelerak' ;)

Jon.

Especially since keelerak aren't female. ;)

Going way off topic is bad enough, so please no insults to other countries, that's really offensive.

You are so correct XWINGYODA, but how much can I, myself take laying down when remarks are made by someone ( that same someone on more than one occassion ) about my people and country ?

ON TOPIC, being an avid Bionicle fan, I think that the naming of a precious child after a faddish toy is insane, further, the young man in questions mother was surely just trying to appease her son and does not plan on naming her precious child after a Bionicle.

bfs

But let's face it, a lot of people don't like Americans but dissing a country you absolutely have no idea of and how they live there, it's very offensive. But I would still rather live in Romania than in Canada because my family and my best friends are all there. Once I'm done university here, I'm going to move somewhere in Europe. (end of that discussion, plus it's way off-topic)

---------------

Anyways, ending that discussion, I still don't understand why would anyone want to name their kid that. I mean there are a ton of "unique" names out there, while not being humiliating. If it would be a girl, there could be a lot of good names, including Andreea, Carla/Carlie, Sandra, Alexandra, Julia, etc....Gali...nope...I don't see that...it still sounds ridiculous.

Gali as a name is actually quite nice.

It is an Israeli sounding name, but really quite generic.

Agree naming a kid after a toy is stupid, but.... the character is brave, smart, and poweful.....

Hmmm.

In 10 years no one will know who Toa Gali was (if not already).... so what's the harm? We have enough Dianes, Marias, Susans, and Elizabeths in the world. Gali is easy to say, easy to type (IMPORTANT!!) and does not rhyme with any obvious obscenities. Sounds like a winner to me.

G

But let's face it, a lot of people don't like Americans but dissing a country you absolutely have no idea of and how they live there, it's very offensive. But I would still rather live in Romania than in Canada because my family and my best friends are all there. Once I'm done university here, I'm going to move somewhere in Europe. (end of that discussion, plus it's way off-topic)

---------------

Anyways, ending that discussion, I still don't understand why would anyone want to name their kid that. I mean there are a ton of "unique" names out there, while not being humiliating. If it would be a girl, there could be a lot of good names, including Andreea, Carla/Carlie, Sandra, Alexandra, Julia, etc....Gali...nope...I don't see that...it still sounds ridiculous.

You know what? There are alot of morons out there. This case is not one of them. Obsession of a fandom is one thing, but this is clearly not. Gali is an english simplification of many different words. It may be a Maori name, a Israeli name, or just a unique name. Yes, this qualifies as unique. All of the ones you listed would be considered "un-common".

"Why, I am shocked by that! Why must someone break conformity? The world will implode! Civilization and humanity will crumble at the footsteps of these anomalies! Burn all that is non-confomant!"

If that were the case, I'd be a sauteed child by now.

So what if no ones has named their kid "Gali" before? So what? Is it so wrong that there just happens to be a Lego set named "Gali"? My name is used for a bank for crying out loud! It's the parent's decision and just because it doesn't align itself with your view doesn't mean it's some "American family with low-income"! The only sad and pathetic thing here is how you brand them like this just because of this.

Ok, I can understand how you don't get it. Fine. Just know this isn't that extreme. Go and call the person who legally changed his name to "Optimus Prime" an "American family with low-income". That's a true case of fandom gone overboard.

Oh and on another note, yes. Yes, I am angry that someone is branding an entire family just because of one bloody post. I am angered by how Wolf decided to call them an "American-family with a low income". You know, that American family works damn hard to try to get themselves out of that ditch. I respect that. They don't have the oppertunity like we do, but bloody hell, they work damn hard to try to get themselves out. My stance is that you don't mock hard work. I don't give a hoot if you're getting a friggin masters degree. Even the wealthiest man will tell you, hard work is not to be mocked. Mocking determination is the worst thing in my books. And those fellows have the most imagination. They make the best out of what they have and heck, that's alot of work. So before you associate the less fortunate as a type of insult, think.

PS: I apologize to the administrators and fellow members for the profanity. This point had to be made. This is straight from my heart and to be honest, not one bit of this is in any way swayed by the opinion of others.

KMOI, I fully agree with your point about Wolf's insult. It was wrong - Wolf, don't pull that stunt again. You're heading down the same route as our dear departed David.

However, I think the real atrocity with this nomenclature is that they are naming her Gali BECAUSE of a BIONICLE set - if they chose it for another reason, it'd be absolutely fine, just a funny coincidence. But knowingly naming someone directly after a faddish toy...

Oh, my bad for upseting "the lords" |-/ . This is just plain stupid. >-|

I would really appreciate if you could cut the sarcasm.

We're just asking you not to generalize and insult people, it has nothing to do with hierarchy.

Oh, my bad for upseting "the lords"  |-/ . This is just plain stupid.  >-|

We're just asking you not to generalize and insult people, it has nothing to do with hierarchy.

I truly dislike spamming in topics but, I would truly like to express my gratitude to Bloody Jay with a heart felt....THANK YOU !

bfs

You have a very high tendency to dig out threads with a few offtopic posts and join in the fight.

You have a very high tendency to dig out threads with a few offtopic posts and join in the fight.

Its absolutly not a question of fight here Wolf but a question of respects of others.

In 10 years no one will know who Toa Gali was (if not already).... so what's the harm? We have enough Dianes, Marias, Susans, and Elizabeths in the world. Gali is easy to say, easy to type (IMPORTANT!!) and does not rhyme with any obvious obscenities. Sounds like a winner to me.

G

I have no idea who Toa Gali is... Never did. Probably because I never followed Bioincle like about 5.9 billion other homosapiens on this planet. Don't quote me of that figure though.

What I don't understand is why people choose to name their children common, traditional, and seemingly over used names (in Western Societies at least). E.g. Michael, David, Steven, Sarah, Nicole, etc. Are people in love with these names or are they just too unoriginal to find something different?

What I don't understand is why people choose to name their children common, traditional, and seemingly over used names (in Western Societies at least).  E.g. Michael, David, Steven, Sarah, Nicole, etc.  Are people in love with these names or are they just too unoriginal to find something different?

I think it's because some people are steeped in traditions of naming their children after friends or relatives. My first name is the same as my Fathers middle name , & my middle name is the same as my Uncle's first name. I am proud of my somewhat-common name because of that fact. I also believe that to be much more original than naming your child "rainbow", "peace", "candy" or something 'unique' like that (I know people with those names)... :|

Life is Good.

Well, my middle name is my father's first name, but I got discontent with my real names and became Mr Phes. The end.

My sister named her kid River. But after that Pheonix dude that's not so unusual...

With regard to common names, yes after friends and family, my middle name is Roe, after the river Roe in Ireland where my fathers ancestors came to america from. Many first names in the western world are based on great leaders and religious persona ei, Catholic saints. I have named my sons with combination to honor family on my side as well as my wife's. I could have named my sons after toys, but I chose to honor family.

bfs *wacko*

Michael... David... All biblical names... But many have disregarded religion yet they still use this names... Maybe disregarding religion hasn't opened up any new trains of thoughts for them.

On 4/25/2005 at 3:05 AM, Mister Phes said:

As usual we are once again off topic.

Back on topic:

I get the impression that the majority of people registered to this forum are from Western or European societies. However, these Bionicle names may be common in various parts of the world, such as the more tribal/indigenous races, like islanders of the South Pacific for example. Since we're not accustomed to these names they sound exotic.

Hi when you say western or European I'm in the eastern society. 

2 hours ago, SuperMegaMech said:

Hi when you say western or European I'm in the eastern society. 

Friendly warning. Any more thread bumping like this might mean a more formal discussion with staff.