Peppermint_M

LEGO Ninjago 2017 Discussion

PSA: My Target (Redmond, WA) is getting the Ninjago HoT wave of sets and most of the other 2017 releases this coming weekend. My Target usually gets stuff late, so I would recommend using Brickseek to find the sets you want.

DPCIs:

204-00-1926 NINJAGO The Vermillion Attack
204-00-1927 Desert Lightning
204-00-1928 Destiny's Shadow
204-00-1929 Vermillion Invader
204-00-1930 Samurai VXL
204-00-1931 Dawn of Iron Doom

204-00-1932 Dragon Forge

Also, it's nice to see we're getting colored sword hilts at last. I also think it's a neat design to give Nya grey instead of maroon. It honestly works, instead of having a mixture of red and blue.

Fingers crossed for silver shurikens :moar:

10 minutes ago, gamejutzu said:

Also, it's nice to see we're getting colored sword hilts at last. I also think it's a neat design to give Nya grey instead of maroon. It honestly works, instead of having a mixture of red and blue.

Fingers crossed for silver shurikens :moar:

Wait, what coloured hilts?

@MasterofElements Thanks for the HD version!

3 hours ago, gamejutzu said:

Also, it's nice to see we're getting colored sword hilts at last.

Pretty sure it's just the play of the light. It would be neat, but I don't see why they would dual mould katanas (or other swords), unless it's supposed to be special. enchanted, powerful, magical, etc.

19 hours ago, gamejutzu said:

It looks like you can turn these new masks completely to the side, so we've basically gone as far as you can get from the 2011 hoods.

It's really nice to see that each ninja will have designs and accessories unique to them. It looks like Nya has one of the new belt pieces (or a new mold?) And Kai has the double sheath. 

The ninja will also probably all have some symbol on their headbands. Nya has one too, but it's hard to see.

Also, I really hope these guys have alternate heads, because that really is not looking good. Maybe it's something like the 2012 TMNT, where their eyes enter a "ninja mode", then go back to normal?

These are just cgi's, so we do not know if the heads will actually be able to turn to the side completely, but it would be really nice! I do wonder though, would a minifig head fit under the headwrap, or would that make it too fragile around the mouth (which would mean the entire head is one mould)?

Anyway, Cole seems to have a brown bandana and accents, so Nya can have grey (silver?), which is nice. I don't think that's one of the new belt pieces on Nya, I think it's hip-plating of a samurai armour. :sweet:

The facial expressions remind me of the original ninja theme, I like that. 

2 hours ago, Exetrius said:

@MasterofElements Thanks for the HD version!

Pretty sure it's just the play of the light. It would be neat, but I don't see why they would dual mould katanas (or other swords), unless it's supposed to be special. enchanted, powerful, magical, etc.

These are just cgi's, so we do not know if the heads will actually be able to turn to the side completely, but it would be really nice! I do wonder though, would a minifig head fit under the headwrap, or would that make it too fragile around the mouth (which would mean the entire head is one mould)?

Anyway, Cole seems to have a brown bandana and accents, so Nya can have grey (silver?), which is nice. I don't think that's one of the new belt pieces on Nya, I think it's hip-plating of a samurai armour. :sweet:

The facial expressions remind me of the original ninja theme, I like that. 

Reinventing traditional standards like the headwrap and sword molds could make sense in the context of a big-deal theatrical movie. The headwraps especially—they might be able to "cheat" with regular CGI art, but it's not as easy with the pseudo-stop-motion style of The Lego Movie and its spinoffs, so a new mold that can rotate farther would go a long way toward making the animators' jobs a lot easier. There shouldn't be any issues with fragility, since there are plenty of helmet designs that have a thinner chinstrap than the ninja scarf. The swords are a less essential change, but could conceivably be helpful in terms of keeping track of individual characters in fight scenes, especially when they all seem to be wearing similarly-colored outfits.

5 hours ago, Exetrius said:

I don't think that's one of the new belt pieces on Nya, I think it's hip-plating of a samurai armour. :sweet:

:/ I don't know... It really looks like it's patterned. I zoomed in 500% on the image and I'm seeing two light gray circles standing out beside the black.

But where is the samurai armor? I only see the outlines of a belt. This one IS a trick of the light, ironically. The light shines on the torso revealing no accessories. The light abruptly stops at the hips, which really makes me think it's just the belt piece.

Also, it looks like the thing at the end of Nya's spear is the tassel piece. Expressive.

Samurai armour?? I didn't see any hint of samurai armour from what I have seen in the calendar, even if I have seen the HD image

9 hours ago, gamejutzu said:

:/ I don't know... It really looks like it's patterned. I zoomed in 500% on the image and I'm seeing two light gray circles standing out beside the black.

But where is the samurai armor? I only see the outlines of a belt. This one IS a trick of the light, ironically. The light shines on the torso revealing no accessories. The light abruptly stops at the hips, which really makes me think it's just the belt piece.

Also, it looks like the thing at the end of Nya's spear is the tassel piece. Expressive.

1 hour ago, makoy said:

Samurai armour?? I didn't see any hint of samurai armour from what I have seen in the calendar, even if I have seen the HD image

I wasn't not talking about the torso, I was saying that the (physical) piece between the torso and legs (at the hips, if you will) is a new piece, and it looks like samurai armour. By that, I mean only hip plating, see 2. on the image below:

300px-Japanese_Armour_Diagram_by_Wendeli 

The way I see it, it goes outward from the hips, it has three layers of scales, with a row of three silver bolts on either side printed on:

30764527864_d418b1e502_o.jpg

For comparison, here is the new Batman belt piece:

30499723944_11cf8ff4eb.jpg

As you can see, it does not go outwards from the hips. 

I hope that what I mean is clear now. :wink:

Edited by Exetrius

I'm confused when you say hip plating. You are referring to the kuzasuri or the thigh covers / guards, right? Nya had those for all Samurai X variants but of course they don't have side printing so it does not wrap around the hips.  If it will be a cloth with printing that would make it more interesting. It is also a call-back to Nya's roots as Samurai X and it is great to see her get that easter egg if you can call that an easter egg.

14 hours ago, Exetrius said:

I wasn't not talking about the torso, I was saying that the (physical) piece between the torso and legs (at the hips, if you will) is a new piece, and it looks like samurai armour. By that, I mean only hip plating,

The way I see it, it goes outward from the hips, it has three layers of scales, with a row of three silver bolts on either side printed on

As you can see, it does not go outwards from the hips. 

I hope that what I mean is clear now. :wink:

Ohhh, I get you now. The way you initially worded it was kind of strange. 

I actually didn't notice that similarity of the samurai armor plates, since the piece was blue and not something like green. Also I've never taken a close look at the belt piece, so I just assumed it had side molds too :grin:

Combined with what looks like some plating on the top of the arm, it does seem like she'll have a samurai-inspired outfit. I hope it doesn't look too samurai, something like Nya's Hands of Time figure (it's a good balance).

Edited by gamejutzu

When someone gets the villains with new armour could someone please try it out with diffferent helmets. I'm concerned that the neck area is a bit high for some helmets and even hair piece.

1 hour ago, LegendsOfNinjago said:

What are the prices and can we get pictures?

Prices are normal - saving them for Christmas so I can't post out of box pics until then - sorry...

Someone found the hands of time poster. This is the only place I found it, it might be gone soon:

Never mind, a few other places have found it... :P

EDIT: I'm so late on this, this was found days ago... :snicker:

I like it a lot. I especially like how they chose not to shoehorn a ton of products and characters in the poster. It's also interesting to see an emphasis being placed on the plain snakes, rather than the Vermillion soldiers. And Nya and Kai's poses remind me of something familiar...

Also, I just realized the Iron Doom doesn't need a pilot, since there's a bunch of snakes inside it anyway. Never thought about it that way.

Edited by gamejutzu

21 minutes ago, gamejutzu said:

And Nya and Kai's poses remind me of something familiar...

Familliar? From the Dark Island covers or something else?

Just now, Ninja of Fire said:

Familliar? From the Dark Island covers or something else?

It's Jay's pose from the Skybound poster.

Just now, gamejutzu said:

It's Jay's pose from the Skybound poster.

Ahh... Maybe they were pressed for time, and the poses look pretty cool do they not?

1 minute ago, Ninja of Fire said:

Ahh... Maybe they were pressed for time, and the poses look pretty cool do they not?

Yeah, but the spinjitzu looks a bit off. Like DNA or something. Maybe it's something new?

1 hour ago, legozebra said:

Prices are normal - saving them for Christmas so I can't post out of box pics until then - sorry...

So they match up with the EU prices? also thats okay! just curious!

11 hours ago, Sunset550 said:

Could you post pictures of the box? Does anyone know of any other stores who have gotten these in stock?  

I'm guessing it depends on store.

2 minutes ago, gamejutzu said:

I'm guessing it depends on store.

11 hours ago, Sunset550 said:

Could you post pictures of the box? Does anyone know of any other stores who have gotten these in stock?  

Yeah, just use brickseek and see if it is in stock near you. You may get lucky like me!