anothergol

[MOC] Another AT-ST version 4.5

No because those clips are offset too much, which is my main problem. I need that bar tightly where the gap is, there is no part that works like this (except 3839, but it has bars on both sides).

But I'm sure it will be no problem, when you disassemble those bars they stay into shape. The real question is whether it will look better, it may cast more shadow & not look better at all.

How sturdy is the head? I might use mine for more then display and If the head is strong I may only build that and then some legs to go with it.

The head is built sturdy (because you have to hold it to rotate it), but there are some decoration parts that are attached with just 1 stud. So the head isn't gonna break but those parts will fall off easily.

Edited by anothergol

You could just buy a officer from 75134 and turn him into an AT-ST pilot with the head of the old one and some black hands like so:

Seeing how the AT-ST will only have 1 pilot, it's indeed worth buying one of those - as the minifig head with the goggles on won't need the helmet with the goggles.

Now am I right that there is no legs out there with dual-molded black boots? I could only find a Batman in DBG. It would have been cooler than the legs print, IMHO.

Also, seeing how the 2x2 round tile for the hatch will be stickered, I'm afraid this one won't have printed "vents" round tiles in the back, another letdown.

Oh, and I'm gonna switch to these flat gear parts for the side guns. For some reason, they still exist at B&P while they haven't been produced since 2009 and are more pricey as used at BL.

SideGuns.jpg

Edited by anothergol

Now am I right that there is no legs out there with dual-molded black boots? I could only find a Batman in DBG. It would have been cooler than the legs print, IMHO.

For the same purpose, I've searched if such existed, and unfortunately came to find only DBG ones, but I definitely agree that it would have been a better option than those plain printed legs. Though with The Lego Batman movie, and his whole array of various suits, there could be a possibility, hopefully…

Have you seen the pictures of the new Rogue One AT-ST? Lego borrowed a lot of your design ideas.

I have, but I've only noticed they used the same side dishes, and in DBG weirdly. I don't know why, because they're not really after metrics accuracy (the only reason I went for those 5x5's instead of the 6x6's that have a more correct shape).

So I think they went for a design similar to most AT-ST's out there: oblique side plates, and thus, the same "wedged in" in the back, which is wrong (even if it looks nice).

The side plate has a right angle in the top-back, not exactly 90deg, but nearly, and 90deg is definitely the best approximation one can make in Lego. So this official one, once again, has the front & back that are parallel.

at-st.GIF

Also, as predictable, they went for the same legs as the AT-DP. Sure it's sturdy, but..

And, no 2x2 wedge plate in LBG, while it clearly had room for them, like behind the top hatch, it features 2 but in DBG (also 2 on the front plate).

So I don't think it borrowed much from existing AT-ST's, but it should have.

Edited by anothergol

Lego should've borrowed more then just dishes from your AT-ST as it's particularly impressive. You've paid a lot attention to detail and captured the original model perfectly! Hope some day Lego will release those wedges in LBG as we all need them so badly :grin:

I've just assembled a new version with the completely redone, 6-studs wide body, as well as the improved bottom lip at the back of the head, & the improved grenade launcher.

AT-STv2_3_01.jpgAT-STv2_3_03.jpg

Edited by anothergol

This is seriously blowing the original away in terms of design!

By the way, are the new centre cannons more stable in this version? Because on mine with your first design they always fall off.

If you mean the chin's dual gun, it's still attached using a tile+clip & that droid body, and a bar+clip. However the bar+clip isn't attached to a pin anymore, but to a hollow round plate, it's more secure (that is, if you mean it's really detaching. Because as for falling down, when you pose the gun you have to adjust the round thing below so that it locks)

I have tried many other designs there, but it was always a problem of room.

Be aware that v2 is heavier & has more things not attached very securely, but it's the price to pay for more detail.

Edited by anothergol

As explained in the other thread: Connector.jpg

Ah, you probably mean the "body's engine" binoculars - they're attached together, and then to the body using a common clip

Edited by anothergol

Because that's its real size (5-6 studs). I was using 4 because I didn't have Bandai's model for reference yet, & because the nice car hood was fitting well underside.

I'm now hesitating between these 2. The "long bar with towball" looks shorter with a filling tile, so it may be ok.

AT-ST_bodies.jpg

Ah yes, I tried them too, but they offset too much (they require to be clipped). Perhaps if they had been in DBG they would have been an option.

Crutches.jpg

Yes but if you use long bar with towball you will have 2 studs to cover ;)

And that part for "small wheel" isn't to accurate.

Edited by La Chupacabra

Yes but if you use long bar with towball you will have 2 studs to cover ;)

not really, there are studs everywhere else anyway

Wow, I can't believe I never realised that can can stack the binocular piece.

also I of course forgot to say that the new version looks outstanding. Everything just looks right.

Edited by atlas