Sign in to follow this  
SollX

classic rally car. (vs New)

I recently got the new rally car, and i was immediately inspired to build one my own.

And with owning the 6634 shell rally car when i was little, it had to be an homage to that car.

although i used modern building techniques i think i managed to get an classic Groupe B rally racer look

here is the result.

let me know what you think

by the way, i made the new rally car a little bit different than the original. i think this looks better and moor realistic.

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0221.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

DSC_0224.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg

Very nice! I actually like it more than the official set! The colors and feel just work better. Only thing is the car might look better with the new hubcaps.

thanks.

I have one big issue about the new wheels.. they are to narrow.

they stay inside of the wheelarches.

Wow, the shell colour work looks awesome, also very retro'ish ;) classic describes it very well!

Only thing is the car might look better with the new hubcaps.

Agreed. TLG has produced a rather modern Rally Car for your classic inspiration and the new wheels are the perfect fit for those mudguards (on any vehicle in my opinion). Looking at modern rally car pictures, the rim istelf is larger and with spokes, which TLG did correctly here.

Yes, they are not as wide as the older ones, but its more accurate that wheels stay a few cm inside the mudguard or are on even level with them. The old wheels stick out a bit, which i havent seen on any rally cars of our era (example suzuki, skoda ).

Anyway, cool MOC! Always loved the shell sets back then :D

thanks.

Most of my LEGOs are old so I haven't really built with the new pieces yet. So that's good to know.

Wow, that's awesome! 6634 was in fact the very first LEGO set that I ever got, so I might just build your version as a homage.

thanks for your comment.

Feel free to copy any part of my mocs.

it is great If i can inspire someone like i am inspired by the mocs i see.

Looks very nice. Great colors too.

Maybe an idea to put a round plate on the back with a hole in it, as exhaust?

Those tiny slopes looks great too, like those spoilers these cars have.

ps. other moc's looks great too, especially those trucks (homage to modelteam?) and those hot/rat rod, cool.

That looks awesome, im willing to bet an Octan livery would look awesome as well (very allitalia lancia), the higher angle windscreen gives it an old school vibe, and those 80s rally cars were bonkers.

I agree.

But i could not find a way to mount anny rally lights the way i wanted any other way then the new car has it.

And i did not just want to copy that part. Altough that is just awesomly perfect

Perhaps make the entire bottom fender sloped and use 1x1 trans clear plates for the headlights, like this?

L-DG65-2.jpg