vseanv

[MOC] Playscale Millennium Falcon 7965/75105/Dario's MOD/Rebuild

A from the ground up build of the play scale Millennium Falcon pulling inspiration from 7965, 75105, Dario Del Frate and many other custom Falcon's online with interior. Including LDD File for your enjoyment.

About a year ago I came across Dario Del Frate's beautiful mod of the 7965 Millennium Falcon and I immediately wanted to make my own. Unfortunately at the time he had not put up any instructions on how to build his and I am not the greatest at reverse engineering so I decided to start from scratch. Pulling from the original 7965, Dario's Falcon and various other custom falcons and sources/blue prints online to come up with what I have to show today, with a few little mods/design upgrades that pulled from the new 75105 Millennium Falcon for the Force Awakens.

I also added both satellite dishes for your preference.

So this is what I have currently, solely built inside LDD and unfortunately I don't have the cash at the moment to start ordering the pieces and building it. Also I'd love to see if it can be improved upon before I do decide to pull the trigger on building it so I give this to the world and all you great Lego designers in hopes that you would like to improve on it and/or build your own if you have the pieces to build it in real life and let me know how it holds up. Mostly I'm just happy to see what releasing it out into the wild brings back until I can build it myself.

Linked (at the bottom) is the Moc Pages Site where you can see more images and download the LDD .lxf file that you can use however you wish.. mod it, fix it, change it, totally rebuild it. I would love to see what you do with it.

Cheers all, enjoy! Happy New Year!!

MOC PAGES LINK FOR MORE PICTURES AND LDD FILE: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/423507

IMGUR Album: http://imgur.com/gallery/25EPG

Check out Dario's Falcon that sparked the beginning of this project here: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/390350

post-152140-0-22436900-1451715864_thumb.jpg

Wonderful job here... and adding instructions? Superb. I truly hope some will take advantage of these instructions and improve their own personal versions of the MF.

As a little note, IMO this set is highly open to modifications and enlargement. If you have the cash, so many things can be done to it without altering it too much. Years ago I discovered that the 7965 (and now 75105) are actually built with a fairly flexible diameter in mind. Think of it.... the main body is made of polygonal shapes. Each one is, like 12 studs in length (rough estimate, might be slightly different). The center, that houses the rotating turret is like 10 studs (again, rough estimate) for a total of like 34 studs in diameter. If you increase each polygon panel by four studs (to sixteen) and the center four studs (14) you get the exact dimensions of 7964 and 75105, only larger. You can then build your own, larger, version of the Falcon. Even the slopes of the polygons remain the same, so it all encloses real nice. The above figures might be slightly off....I am spit-balling here.....I still have the plans from the model below that I built years ago....I will have to look 'em up, but I think the above is correct. Increasing the diameter just ten studs increases the overall piece count tremendously, (roughly doubling it) but if you have the pieces or dough it is fun to do. Here is my version below...... I added an interior along with working pneumatic landing gear along with the increased size. Obviously other things have be be increased as well to scale (the center column that houses the turret is raised, I think, two studs), but you get the picture....

1442176158m_SPLASH.jpg

14421763721_SPLASH.jpg

14149282431_DISPLAY.jpg

More at http://mocpages.com/moc.php/369901

Great job on building it from scratch. I am modifying my son's 75105 at the moment and the single biggest improvement was filling in the gaps in the hull plating using different wedge plates to the standard ones. There are more details in this thread if you haven't seen it.

Wonderful job here... and adding instructions? Superb. I truly hope some will take advantage of these instructions and improve their own personal versions of the MF.

As a little note, IMO this set is highly open to modifications and enlargement. If you have the cash, so many things can be done to it without altering it too much. Years ago I discovered that the 7965 (and now 75105) are actually built with a fairly flexible diameter in mind. Think of it.... the main body is made of polygonal shapes. Each one is, like 12 studs in length (rough estimate, might be slightly different). The center, that houses the rotating turret is like 10 studs (again, rough estimate) for a total of like 34 studs in diameter. If you increase each polygon panel by four studs (to sixteen) and the center four studs (14) you get the exact dimensions of 7964 and 75105, only larger. You can then build your own, larger, version of the Falcon. Even the slopes of the polygons remain the same, so it all encloses real nice. The above figures might be slightly off....I am spit-balling here.....I still have the plans from the model below that I built years ago....I will have to look 'em up, but I think the above is correct. Increasing the diameter just ten studs increases the overall piece count tremendously, (roughly doubling it) but if you have the pieces or dough it is fun to do. Here is my version below...... I added an interior along with working pneumatic landing gear along with the increased size. Obviously other things have be be increased as well to scale (the center column that houses the turret is raised, I think, two studs), but you get the picture....

1442176158m_SPLASH.jpg

14421763721_SPLASH.jpg

14149282431_DISPLAY.jpg

More at http://mocpages.com/moc.php/369901

Awesome work man! Love the interior detailing.. that's what I want to do now with mine! and you are so right... just multiplying the bone-structure by studs seems to work perfectly for enlarging the model! thanks for the pointers!

Awesome build *oh2*

What is your estimate for the cost of this if bricklinked? I was thinking of buying the new Millenium Falcon set, but this is so superb that i would rather get this version :)

Edited by Orcbandit

This is amazing! I don't know whether to carry on with my UCS Venator or this. Best version I have seen of this size. I love the patches of blue they give the model that scavenged feel. Well done,

Ellis.

Hey man love the build!!! I wish I had access to a computer that I could use LDD on, I'm only on a tablet :(.

If it isn't too much to ask of you, would you be willing to post more break down photos of the build in process?

Hello,

Congratulation for your amazing work and thank you for sharing it ! I am considering Bricklinking it, but the lxf file won't upload to Bricklink (some parts give errors).

How can I fix that ? (I am totally new to LDD).

Also, I would like and try to mod your build to include the suggestions given here :

Thanks !

I too would like to know how to get the list in bricklink. I have spent over three hours studying Flail's mod pics and trying to source manually the bricks from bricklink. Prob is, going by photos I have no real clue how many I need of each piece!