Sign in to follow this  
AlexJ

Possible to combine 76031 Hulk Buster with 75111 Darth Vader to create

Hi.

I'm always very amazed with MOC creations of mechas and action figures.

However, my current collection are all system based bricks with little technic.

Currently i have the 76031 Hulk Buster Smash set.

Since i don't have any experience in building MOC mechs or action figures i need advice.

Should i purchase the 75111 Darth Vader CCBS set and combine it with Hulk Buster to make a MOC mech?

I would imagine it would look really cool as my first MOC mech.

I need your ideas, comments and suggestions?

If i'm successful in making a mech out of these 2 sets, i would probably be interested in making more mechs.

However, i'm not interested in the Bionicle line.

I need advice on what sets (besides Bionicle) to purchase to build more mechs?

Thanks!

Hi.

I'm always very amazed with MOC creations of mechas and action figures.

However, my current collection are all system based bricks with little technic.

Currently i have the 76031 Hulk Buster Smash set.

Since i don't have any experience in building MOC mechs or action figures i need advice.

Should i purchase the 75111 Darth Vader CCBS set and combine it with Hulk Buster to make a MOC mech?

I would imagine it would look really cool as my first MOC mech.

I need your ideas, comments and suggestions?

Yup, it's quite possible! Be warned that Vader is almost exclusively CCBS (what we call the 'Character and Creature Building System'). While the Hulkbuster does include some CCBS and similar ball joints, it is majority normal System bricks. While the two systems are not completely incompatible, it might feel hard at first to integrate the two together. I encourage you to just play around with the pieces until you feel comfortable with it.

If i'm successful in making a mech out of these 2 sets, i would probably be interested in making more mechs.

However, i'm not interested in the Bionicle line.

I need advice on what sets (besides Bionicle) to purchase to build more mechs?

Lego hasn't really made mechs with a good blend of System and CCBS, and they usually fall into one category or the other.

If you are looking into CCBS sets, I would recommend first and foremost the Hero Factory subtheme 'Invasion from Below', which was a 'Pacific Rim'-esque 'people in mechs fighting giant monsters' theme. They include a very sci-fi looking chestplate that connects into a cockpit made specifically to connect to CCBS.

For more System-based mechs, some good examples are 'Exo Force' (an anime-inspired mecha theme from the mid-aughts). It's a bit dated, but it has a lot of fun and creative mecha designs. Another good theme is Ninjago; here is a list of some of the mechs it has featured. Chima is also another recent theme that has featured a handful of mechs.

Yeah combining CCBS and System can be difficult sometimes, but the Hulkbuster includes some conversion pieces in-between the systems. There is a Creator set out right now that was recently featured on Brickset as one of the best sets of the year that includes other essential mech parts, i.e. Galidor/Exo-Force joints and Mixel joints.