Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

The Pirate Theme ended...

*satis* Just wondering if you guys think Lego will put out new sets when the new Pirates of the Carribean sequels come out next summer. It would be a great way to ride there wave, with out paying for a license.

Now, why would LEGO do something intelligent like that?

I remember about 12 months before the first Pirates Caribbean movie (along with various other related pirate and nautical movies, computer games, merchandise etc.) I sent LEGO a letter informing them pirate toys are going to become popular and they should consider taking advantage of this. I realised they weren't going to pay any attention to me but I thought I'd do it all the same.

Sure enough, Pirates of the Caribbean (and the various other pirate related entertainment) was released, and pirates popularity increased. Pirate toys began popping up everywhere... Even fast food chains like Burger King were aware of this and began throwing Pirate Parties for children! Eventually LEGO responded to the increased interest with the lovely 4+ Pirate theme they gave us in the second half of 2004.

But when they did this they obviously weren't taking into account the AFOL Pirate enthusiasts, nor any of the older children. Afterall most of these movies and computer games were targetted towards older children. Perhaps they were trying to tap into a niche market for the younger laddies, but by doing this they could have missed out on a much larger market.

It would be good if could get some sales figures on these 4+ Pirate sets so we can see exactly how well they've been doing. About 12 months after their release there's been no plans or rumours to release future 4+ Pirate sets, so maybe that's telling us something.

Somewhere in these boards I wrote the same thing as Legobro (welcome here btw laddie ;) ).

I really think that there IS a need of a new System Pirate line !!! Don't forget that POTC II is due in 2006 and the 3rd installment is due in 2007.

A lot of toy companies (and especially some cheaper TLC ripp offs pieces of Megablock) have pirate themes and will continue due to the POTC momentum !!!

My only interrogation is concerning Vikings. We already know there will be a wave 2 due next year (for which I am extremely happy), I'm really concerned about a coexistence between those 2 similar lines. Pirates would be in direct competition with vikings, which is really not good.

So we might see a new pirate line when vikings is done with !!!!

I know I would love a switch in years: one year for vikings, the next for pirates, but this will never happen unfortunatly.

Yes. Master Yoda is right about Vikings competing with Pirates. (Hey wait a minute! Didn't I say no more mention of Vikings in this thread? Nevermind...) Personally I see Vikings and Pirates as two completely different themes. To me Vikings are as different to Pirates, as they are to Knights Kingdom. However, the masses tend to be stupid and may be unable to make differentiation. But hopefully this is not so.

I must create a poll to gather some data...

I have an idea for a new line, it's a bit inspired by some earlier posts from this thread.

Let us have one or few main heroes, with names and some data on them, just like in the Adventurers line. Now, one of them is a captain of a ship on a cruise around the world sometime around the 17th century. During his journey he meets different other ships, visits various ports, islands and so on. Among them he also meets our old friends - pirates (captain Redbeard, Ironhook), Spaniards, Imperial Guards, Indigo Islanders, Soldiers... Some of them are his friends, some are his foes. So it wouldn't be just Pirate line, but it would include Pirate elements. And it would give a chance for many more subthemes, depending on places he would visit - various themes from all over the world. Just look at all the possibilities! If the theme were more fantastical he could also encounter sea monsters, and - being more realistic - whales (my personal hope - I'd love to see a giant whale, like the one whose skeleton we've seen in 6559)

And some of the possible sets would be:

Our hero's ship - the size of BSB or bigger

Other big ships - another pirate vessel, a Spanish galleon...

A lot of bigger or smaller islands, villages, buildings from any place in the world you could imagine (Asia, Africa, both Americas, Australia and so on)

It would be a new line, however it would revive the pirate line as well. And its diveristy would make everyone find something suitable for them.

The Viking Line, if anything, is much more similar to Castle.

The vikings only have 2 ships. To say this competes with pirates is like saying the Town sets compete with vikings, because there are some boats in the town sets.

(Yes, time is a factor, but the Vikings are presumably in around 700-1000 AD, whereas the Pirates we know are in the 1700's. With those "Mythical crappy bionacle monsters", that means the Viking line doesnt even exist in time technically)

Now, let us imagine that this new line takes place a few years after the original Pirates theme, the characters have changed a bit, Redbeard's beard is now grey, there is a new young pirate captain who fights with him for the leading position on the sea... I think I'll even try to make a few minifigs on my own, showing how I imagine those characters.

Sounds like a cool idea to me!

What about the Imperials? What kind are we going to see in this line? Who will the leader be? A next-gen Captain/Commodore/Admiral responsible for stopping piracy in the Carribean/wherever this new line takes place?

Now, let us imagine that this new line takes place a few years after the original Pirates theme, the characters have changed a bit, Redbeard's beard is now grey, there is a new young pirate captain who fights with him for the leading position on the sea... I think I'll even try to make a few minifigs on my own, showing how I imagine those characters.

The Soldiers (pref still blue) could be dominant without Red Beard's brilliance and the pirates are reduced to smaller cutters while the soldiers get the large ships...

God Bless,

Nathan *viki*

(had to get that viking in somewhere ;) )

Sounds like a cool idea to me!

What about the Imperials? What kind are we going to see in this line? Who will the leader be? A next-gen Captain/Commodore/Admiral responsible for stopping piracy in the Carribean/wherever this new line takes place?

As for the soldiers, Governor Broadside can be already retired (I always imagined him to be old, older than Woodhouse) and there can be another young captain determined to get rid of the pirates once and for all. Or let's just for fun imagine that Broadside got fed up with soldiering or perhaps had enough of Woodhouse giving him orders (whom he never actually liked), deserted from the navy and now is a pirate!

I still say introduce more Imperial Armada sets! The might Inquistion needs a strong hold and some War Galleons to get a better foothold in the Caribbean!

But also introduce a French sub-theme so once and for all everyone is clear that the original Blue Coats were in fact the British Navy.

I have been convinced that the Blue Soldiers are supposed to be British Navy... but I think the color contrast is too much and I have trouble putting Blue Soldiers and Red Soldiers side by side and saying they are the same force... but I must.. as... there is not enough imperial forces to go around and without many Armada soldiers(obviously Spanish!), they are expensive and hard to get!

I, for one, would freekin' love to see more Spanish sets Phes... they looked very cool and added a whole new style to the theme...

I would love to start a spanish navy but due to there few numbers I think Im only going to be able to afford a few!

Its incredibly dissapointing Pirate ended... it would have been very interesting to see where it went after... even if we saw it plummit (although it cant get much worse than the 4+ Pirates)....

Yes the Spaniards were a great idea, much better than the Islanders. One can say we've only had a demo version of that subtheme - 2 sets plus Armada figures in few other sets like 6296, it could have evolved into something great... Still, my idea of a new line considers Spaniards as a part of it, too bad it's just a dream... :)

Possibly just me:

Somehow the spainards never worked with my pirate world...they made the whole thing too realistic and altered the delicate balance of power...

God Bless,

Nathan

Too bad... its a shame...

So many good ideas that the Pirate theme never visited... Even back in 1996 and 1997 I was waiting for a huge Skulls Eye Schooner-sized Spanish Galleon... just imagine it... it would have been beautiful... white and gold. And a good (at least 7!) crew of Spaniards to crew it...

If you think about it... Pirate didn't even last 10 years(1989-1997 if i'm correct) ... whereas a theme like Castle is well over 20 years now.

Why didn't Pirate get as experimental as Castle did(Castle went from its generic early days to European Knights, to Robin Hood-esque Forestmen, to the thievish Wolfpack, to the Magical DragonKnights, to the very "Elegant" Royal Knights, to the dark and gothic Fright Knights, to the Orient Ninja line, and then back to generic 'royal-ish" Knights and now to the gutter that is Knights Kingdom)

Why Didn't Pirates get this chance? Sure, some of the Castle lines sucked, but there was a few good ones along the way (obviously everything to 1996 was good, but at least Ninja kicked megablocks), and even though Knights Kingdom is pretty weak, it certainly isn't as bad as ONLY having a 4+ Pirates and 2nd hand pirates...

I agree with this Sting character who I have had no prior dealings with and am not consorting with secretly to overthrow the Lego corporation and get them to come out with some good ideas, in full. Bring on the sets we were all bloodthirsty for!!!!

I have been convinced that the Blue Soldiers are supposed to be British Navy... but I think the color contrast is too much and I have trouble putting Blue Soldiers and Red Soldiers side by side and saying they are the same force... but I must.. as... there is not enough imperial forces to go around and without many Armada soldiers(obviously Spanish!), they are expensive and hard to get!

I don't like putting the red and blue coats together either, but that's how it was historically... So I acknowledge they're on the same side but I don't mix them together.

I don't like putting the red and blue coats together either, but that's how it was historically... So I acknowledge they're on the same side but I don't mix them together.

Same here, unless I go for two fictional soldier factions... I don't have enough red coats for much anyway...

God Bless,

Nathan

What disturbs me from mixing them together is the different flags they have. Yes, they are a bit similar but different. If they're one faction they should have one flag! I already mentioned the flag problem here

They wanted something bright to mark themselves out as a military machine (besides their uniforms :-D )

God Bless,

Nathan

Same here, unless I go for two fictional soldier factions... I don't have enough red coats for much anyway...

God Bless,

Nathan

What are these two fictional factions?

God Bless,

Nathan

What are these two fictional factions?

blue and red until I finish fleshing out my story, which will be after I write my castle one... :-D

God Bless,

Nathan