VBBN

Bionicle 2008 Images and Discussion

ZoTS- Small (usually) =/= clear

What's so bad about Tahu? Lack of a new body? So what? He's still good. Really, guys...

-KW-

Well, one thing we don't like about Tahu is his mask. It isn't the same... this was the only mask I expected to be more or less the same. Also, note how he has a FRICKING ninja star and rockets placed all over him clumsily. I'll still get him, but if the ToyFair still has him looking like that, I will lose all hope for my favourite Toa to have some resembelance.

-ZotS

Wow guys, really. I'm a moron. These aren't even clear, so stop saying "LOLLOL THE MISTIKA SUCKZORZ LOLOL"

Wow... I really do not like that post. Your second post here on EB and your implying we are noobs and telling us to I'm a moron?

Tisk, tisk, tisk... I've never liked a dirty mouth. Even if it's an acronymn

I don't like the word "judgment." I prefer "opinion."

Yes, some members are making an opinion on these photos. But that does not mean it will be their final opinion. It's only our opinion at the moment. And, like the pictures, these opinions are subject to change. You yourself posted your own opinion on these photos. Your opinion is that you like them. Does that mean that we all have to? Nope! Not at all!

Here on Euro Bricks, Keyblade, we value each other's opinion instead of telling each other to I'm a moron. So lets stay away from that dark... dark pathway, and be gratefull for each other as a communty. :-) Take it from all of us here on the BIONICLE forum that you want to stay on the good side of a guy named Starwars4J. ;-)

Edited by Kynok

Well said Kynok. Just 'cause you can swear here, doesn't meant you should.

Also, I got my Lego mag. Pretty cool... but I find it funny that everyone Bionicle article says "Team up to Battle For Power!" I'd think we would get it from the first time...

-ZotS

Well said Kynok. Just 'cause you can swear here, doesn't meant you should.

Also, I got my Lego mag. Pretty cool... but I find it funny that everyone Bionicle article says "Team up to Battle For Power!" I'd think we would get it from the first time...

-ZotS

Yeah it reminds me of the "Find the Power" slogen back in 2001/2002. Maybe that's one thing they are doing to bring back the 2001 'feel'...

It's not really working, though. :-/

And the entire Lego Magazine concept isn't? It's a good concept, but it's still pretty underhanded if you look at it from a non-fan perspective.

ZoTS- Small (usually) =/= clear

What's so bad about Tahu? Lack of a new body? So what? He's still good. Really, guys...

-KW-

Bland color choices, a mask that has no relation to the previous incarnation, a weapon that makes no logical sense in any way in relation to previous weapons, or for the character in general, poor posing, ridiculous overrepresentation of the projectile weapon....

But seriously, no fan of Bionicle would ever look at that picture and say "Hmm, yeah, that could be Tahu."

Lewa still had a mask with aerodynamic aspects and a sword, like his Nuva form.

Kopaka still had an eye scope, the same color scheme, and a bayonet that could work as a small version of his sword.

Pohatu still had claws and a stunted body as well as a mask that was very similiar to his Nuva form, with the top removed.

Now, they were still pretty radical redesigns, but it wasn't too hard to see relations between the sets.

Now on Tahu, the relation is quite literally that they are both red, and even in that case, they are different shades. Changing the entire look of small McDonald's characters is one thing, but taking the characters who have quite literally stood as representations for the series for seven years, telling the designers that they are in fact redesigning these classic characters, and still coming out with something that looks like it could have been any Toa except the one it is supposed to is just mystifying.

It's not that he is even a bad design. A Ninja Toa is not at all a bad idea, and the Ninja Star might be pretty creative as a weapon. The mask looks great. It just looks nothing like a Hau.

As a character, this set fails on every level. So should we be happy that Lego is pandering to the people who don't follow the story at all? Why would that be a good thing for any fan who has any serious interest in the line? If it can be proven to them that no matter what they do in story the sets will sell, they're not going to try very hard to keep it around, and soon the Comics will be gone, the books will disappear, and Farshtey will be out of our lives forever. We'll get a blurb on the Lego website about how they must defeat an evil that has appeared, and pretty soon we'll have Throwbots all over again.

There is a logical fallacy here, but I don't think all of it is complete exaggeration.

And yes, I seem to have inadvertently double posted.

Edited by InnerRayg

Would you guys stop yappin about the bad

and start talking about the good

These toa do have advantages

Set Pros:

Tahu: new weapon, new mask, new leg spikes, new gun

Gali: Unknown (need better picture)

Onua: Unknown (need better picture)

Cons:

Tahu: weapon looks like something ripped off of Dark Sektor

None on the other 2

Rayg, you do make valid points, but try to remember something;

They're reintroducing Tahu and company to a new crowd. We're technically not on their list of recognized buying targets, we're "has-beens" in parts. Now, this doesn't mean they won't still sell to us, but we will still buy them because we enjoy the product line.

Now then, the problem with selling Toa that were last sold in 2002 (they were officially released as Toa Nuva in 2002) is that they're now 6 years old. Now, they do mention in the story who they are, they do put the name on there, and they introduce a reason why they look like they do. Yes, the Phantoka look like their older selves, but this is still based on a low-res photo from a catalogue that probably came from a German retail. I say we wait until Toyfair, then make judgements. Anybody agree? -Swert

Rayg, you do make valid points, but try to remember something;

They're reintroducing Tahu and company to a new crowd. We're technically not on their list of recognized buying targets, we're "has-beens" in parts. Now, this doesn't mean they won't still sell to us, but we will still buy them because we enjoy the product line.

Now then, the problem with selling Toa that were last sold in 2002 (they were officially released as Toa Nuva in 2002) is that they're now 6 years old. Now, they do mention in the story who they are, they do put the name on there, and they introduce a reason why they look like they do. Yes, the Phantoka look like their older selves, but this is still based on a low-res photo from a catalogue that probably came from a German retail. I say we wait until Toyfair, then make judgements. Anybody agree? -Swert

Problem with your argument is that the Nuva have still been used on multitudes of promotional material, including several official books, the comics, and images in the Lego Magazine very recently, and so it doesn't matter how young the kids are, they know pretty well what the Toa look like.

I, like a few others here, had these come to mind at first sight of these upcoming sets:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=154688

My problem with these is that they're still not "solid" looking. I mean, they're better than they've been some of the time, but they're still no:

2166a.jpg

It can hardly be denied that this design here is both awesome and sexily, unmistakably female.

Still... these are far from the worst sets Bionicle's seen. Right now, none look very worthy of purchase. Maybe larger pics will reveal some cool new parts that are useful to mocing. The pics might be small, but they already show clearly pretty much everything relevant.

I'm not diggin' Tahu's new mask either. I mean, I KNEW it'd be different... but come on. We're right back to taking-a-shit-on-the-identifying-characteristics again.

MAKE the mask different. We understand. But not THAT different.

Just checked : Wednesday 30th January - Saturday 4th February

Alirght then. Thanks. Damn, that's when school starts. Which sucks.

Spartan_01

It can hardly be denied that this design here is both awesome and sexily, unmistakably female.

Still... these are far from the worst sets Bionicle's seen. Right now, none look very worthy of purchase. Maybe larger pics will reveal some cool new parts that are useful to mocing. The pics might be small, but they already show clearly pretty much everything relevant.

Indeed. It kinda reminds me of Movie-style Nokama, which was much more female than the actual kit in 2004. ;-)

I'm not diggin' Tahu's new mask either. I mean, I KNEW it'd be different... but come on. We're right back to taking-a-shit-on-the-identifying-characteristics again.

MAKE the mask different. We understand. But not THAT different.

Some time ago, before the first january 2008 pictures came out, I drew what I thought the new Nuva masks should have been line. In a word, they were fusions of Mata and Nuva mask styles, and they would have looked sweet on the new Nuva designs, IMO. Still, since I can't really tell what Gali and Onua's new masks look like yet, I might actually be much more happy with them than with Tahu's new mask. Because, frankly, the January Nuva had okay masks, and I wouldn't be suprised if Tahu has the worst mask out of them all. :-/

It appears that all of you hate Tahu at this point.

I don't see a problem with his design.

Maybe because they took all nostalgia from him...

I think the problem is he bears no resemblance whatsoever to the older versions. The New Tahu would be fine as another character but I believe it's the calling him Tahu which has got people talking.

What the hell do you mean by nostalgia

Edited by Jetrax99

It appears that all of you hate Tahu at this point.

I don't see a problem with his design.

Three reasons why his design sucks:

-Piraka Torso

-Peices added on randomly

-Horrible mask choice for Tahu

-ZotS

Nostalgia.

Right.

Uh-huh.

Sure.

Let me ask you, were you around for his transformation to Nuva?

Though not online yet, I was. I was there since 2002 (admitted openly, I might add) to today. I saw them transform into Toa Nuva.

Did I see one complaint they changed from Mata to Nuva? Not yet.

But I'm sure there were some. We got used to it.

Plus, who says Lego is forcing you to buy Tahu? They offer other great sets, too. Plus, you never know, his tool MIGHT be useful for one of Jinzo's Riot series MOCs. Or Cajun's Mechas. Or even a TransforMOC. Can we say "Helicopter blades?"

If anything, the new mask reminds me of the classic Hau. The shape is right. If anything, these new masks look much better than the Nuva 02 series (they were released in 02, look it up). Instead of resembling a blob or some kind of futuristic device, they look much more like masks of power.

And like I said, can we not wait until Toyfair to make final judgements? Perhaps the image they have was an old one, it's happened before (not recently). -Swert

I love the set! Just not the name... I'm gunna buy it, though.