VBBN

Bionicle 2008 Images and Discussion

I liked it...

And no, the comics are shorter... BECAUSE LEGO HAS TO ADVERTISE EVERY SINGLE SET!!!! It wastes two friggin' pages... two pages that could of been used to make it better! Even though it's good enough as it is...

I think Stuart Sayger's art is amazing. I really liked it in this issue (minus the Maxilos and Hydraxon part) and I love it. *wub*

I hated the art he did for Bionicle Ignition #2, and #9 though.

-ZotS

I liked it...

And no, the comics are shorter... BECAUSE LEGO HAS TO ADVERTISE EVERY SINGLE SET!!!! It wastes two friggin' pages... two pages that could of been used to make it better! Even though it's good enough as it is...

I think Stuart Sayger's art is amazing. I really liked it in this issue (minus the Maxilos and Hydraxon part) and I love it. *wub*

I hated the art he did for Bionicle Ignition #2, and #9 though.

-ZotS

They have to advertise their sets because they distribute millions of free magazines with comics in them every two months. Do you realize how expensive that is?

And more importantly, can anyone give a satisfying ending for 20+ characters in the eight or so pages the comic has available? If you can, by gods, please tell me how, because that's a problem I've been trying to figure out for years.

Edited by InnerRayg

The only disappointing thing is the title. Death of a hero. That spoiled the whole thing. I was planning to read everything in the book, but I went to BZP and the front page was basically shouting "Matoro dies!" Because really, who else could it be? And then the answer to the rest is obvious, he revives MN, and stuff.

Oh well. I still like the ending, it felt like an ending to me. Plus it was only the comic! Imagine the book.

Anyway, the most intruiging new mystery, although it's really the only one... Makuta Metru's new body.

It appears now Lewa has blades on the upper arms. They look like Matoro's Twin Cutters. Also, Chirox's chest sphere looks orange, as opposed to the red ones we saw so far. Then again, think about Ehlek's red eyes in the BL6 cover.

Anyway, this cover is much better than the boring ones we're used to, IMO.

Shakar

Edited by Shakar

Covering yourself in swords is the thing to do!

They're there to hold the jetpacks on as far as I can tell, and it's only Lewa, the others don't have swords on them.

And it's only two.

Ah, my bad. I mean, between Lewa and his piggy back rider, theres only 5 swords! And lets not forget the Toa Ignika, all of the Makuta-baddies, and Lesovikk.

And those are the only parts in the sets. :D

The abundance of blades makes alot of sense, actually- they make some nice and basic wings, like on the Makuta.

Shakar

@Clonie: Huh?

2004 had... Lhikans blades... lets see, and Nidhiki had a bunch of blades, but I blame that on poor design.

The Vahki's staffs couldnt really be passed off as blades, most of them were too weird. The Toa Metru had the only series of actual TOOLS that functioned as TOOLS, not weapons. And the Matoran had launchers.

So yeah. Lhikan had 2 swords, and Nidhiki had 6, none of which actually operated as swords.

Could you please explain your point?

@Clonie: Huh?

2004 had... Lhikans blades... lets see, and Nidhiki had a bunch of blades, but I blame that on poor design.

The Vahki's staffs couldnt really be passed off as blades, most of them were too weird. The Toa Metru had the only series of actual TOOLS that functioned as TOOLS, not weapons. And the Matoran had launchers.

So yeah. Lhikan had 2 swords, and Nidhiki had 6, none of which actually operated as swords.

Could you please explain your point?

Why class Lewa's shoulder blades as blades, since they don't operate as swords? He has one sword.

Let's not forget Lesovikk, who only has one blade that functions as a blade.

Toa Ignika as well has only one sword.

Makuta have two tools each as far as I can tell.

Really sword-heavy, these sets, eh?

Copper, gold, bronze, iron, steel blue, metal green...

Well, we did get some different colored Piraka and Inika weapons last year, although since most of them were pretty mediocre, that doesn't really matter. We also got those sweet golden chronicler staffs in brutaka... *wub* I guess silver might just be an easier color to produce or something, but maybe TLC thinks that kids don't care what color weapons are - which is probably true. *wacko*

Really sword-heavy, these sets, eh?

Hey, we've gotten other things too. Barraki especially; we got 2 types of unique claws, tentacles, tri-blades, and Takadox's stabbers. And some of the mahri weapons aren't swords either; look at Matoro and Hahli, and of course Nuparu. :-)

Since we're talking about blades,

I see the smaller blades featured on these new sets more as ornamentation than actually a weapon they would fight with. Similar to Brutaka; his back blades were pretty useless, as they didn't even reach farther than his arm; also, they weren't used as blades, so I consider them ornamentation or just something to make them look cool. I think of the new Lewa Nuva the same; those two blades just seem to be more like "spikes" on his jetpacks than actual blades.

The abundance of blades makes alot of sense, actually- they make some nice and basic wings, like on the Makuta.

I agree; especially with Antroz's wings. Now those are some nice sharp wings. Imagine Antroz using those wings to slice through people!

Lord Admiral Helden Ravensdorn, why are you upset at the amount of blades? I would consider swords and more ancient weaponry as more mythical than tools like Vakama's jetpack launcher. (Not that I don't like the jetpack launcher, as to this day it is one of my favorite weapons.) You don't typically see superheroes with blades. ;-)

My only disappoint for the new Nuva is that I would have preferred Kopaka to have a blade; still, a bayonet is something new in BIONICLE, and I have always liked the look of bayonets.

I don't mind blades myself, I just wish we'd get them in more metallic colors. Copper, gold, bronze, iron, steel blue, metal green...

I agree, Ikki. I wish we had some more colors. But I think that BIONICLE suffers from something that is present in most of LEGO's more recent themes. Notice how in Castle, all the good knights have silver weapons; the swords are silver, the lances are silver, the spears are silver, in fact only the axes are grey. I think it is a common conception that weapons are typically a metallic color. Now, to most of the target audience, I would say that silver probably looks better than the dull metallic color of real swords. See what I mean? Silver probably translates to weapons, so all weapons end up silver in the end. That is why I appreciate different style weapons such as the Barraki's and the Piraka/Inika's.

Well, we did get some different colored Piraka and Inika weapons last year, although since most of them were pretty mediocre, that doesn't really matter. We also got those sweet golden chronicler staffs in brutaka... I guess silver might just be an easier color to produce or something, but maybe TLC thinks that kids don't care what color weapons are - which is probably true.

I liked most of the Piraka weapons, actually. I just think that the Inika swords were too bulky at the bottom due to the changeable batteries with the strobe lights. Only Matoro's looked good, IMO. Still, that is just my taste, I think. The rest of the Inika looked fine, save the blobs.

I agree with you on the Barraki weapons; they were some of hte most unique yet, especially Kalmah's tentacles. I just love those tentacles! This is why I am liking the style of weaponry on the Makuta Phantoka. The wings and Antroz's and Chirox's weapons are very neat-looking.

VK

The last Jan set is called Mutran, although I'm not sure how to spell it, I only heard the name by ear.

It was in the podcast. The second-last chapters are up now. Next update will be killer!

The last Jan set is called Mutran, although I'm not sure how to spell it, I only heard the name by ear.

It was in the podcast. The second-last chapters are up now. Next update will be killer!

It is indeed spelled that way.