VBBN

Bionicle 2008 Images and Discussion

Hmm... the posts are dated 5/10/2007... but surely these images haven't been online that long.

Buh?

Anyway, calling these the Nuva is just icky.

Another case of a pre-existing franchise having it's main character's names tossed around onto any old body.

Funny that the best Lewa mask ever was his first one in 2001.

Meh... I'll be passin' on these 2008 guys.

The new shooters are lightyears ahead of the lame-o Zamor launcher design... I'll grab a few of those off Brickshelf.

::goes to sleep until 2009::

Hate to be sarcastic, but:

Did you seriously think that the Toa Nuva would be similar at all to the old ones? You're disappointed because they bear no similarities. I expected this, so all I could be was pleased when I saw the great designs. I like this Lewa mask better than Miru Nuva, as well, however. It just seems you're disappointed because the main characters don't look like they used to. There is no way they could make them look like they used to. Stores were probably even hesitant to accept the same names, much less the same look. I like the Nuva's new look, I think they seem a lot more muscular and capable than the lanky Inika.

InnerRayg:

I don't think that ends up as hollow; there are technically two claws, much like the Titan Karzahni this year. I think there is something behind the claws, so it is not necessarily hollow. I don't really mind the things on the villains, I think they are interesting, to say the least. The Toa Nuva launchers look really nice, though I'm not sure about that long tube sticking out the back. It will no doubt look better in person. It works well with Kopaka, from what I can see.

BTW, does anybody see how the villain spheres possible launch? Perhaps they don't?

Also, important: I don't think these are Makuta, because the 2008 villain Makuta was revealed today in the Gali Nuva blog, and his name was Icarax. He wore the Mask of Shadows, and I don't think he is any of these Phantoka. He is, in all probability, a Titan. I, for one, am glad. I suspect these Phantoka are really servants of the Brotherhood or perhaps another team entirely?

VK

Did you seriously think that the Toa Nuva would be similar at all to the old ones? You're disappointed because they bear no similarities. I expected this, so all I could be was pleased when I saw the great designs. I like this Lewa mask better than Miru Nuva, as well, however. It just seems you're disappointed because the main characters don't look like they used to. There is no way they could make them look like they used to. Stores were probably even hesitant to accept the same names, much less the same look. I like the Nuva's new look, I think they seem a lot more muscular and capable than the lanky Inika.

InnerRayg:

I don't think that ends up as hollow; there are technically two claws, much like the Titan Karzahni this year. I think there is something behind the claws, so it is not necessarily hollow. I don't really mind the things on the villains, I think they are interesting, to say the least. The Toa Nuva launchers look really nice, though I'm not sure about that long tube sticking out the back. It will no doubt look better in person. It works well with Kopaka, from what I can see.

BTW, does anybody see how the villain spheres possible launch? Perhaps they don't?

Also, important: I don't think these are Makuta, because the 2008 villain Makuta was revealed today in the Gali Nuva blog, and his name was Icarax. He wore the Mask of Shadows, and I don't think he is any of these Phantoka. He is, in all probability, a Titan. I, for one, am glad. I suspect these Phantoka are really servants of the Brotherhood or perhaps another team entirely?

VK

The two claws on the side are probably pushed together to pop it out, or there's some sort of Zamor-esque function on their back.

VK

I like these designs but I can tell you what disappoints me in regards to them being the original Toa. They could still change them but have them 'harken back' to the original designs.

Colors: Although the Nuva did start the 'everything is protodermis (silver) craze, these updates seem to have a lot of silver and grey as secondary colors instead of unique primary and secondary as the Toa Nuva had.

Masks: Actually, I think the masks are a mixed bag. I like them better than the Nuva Masks but, for example, Kopaka's mask looks more like the Toa Metru of Ice....ummm, Fred, I think his name was, rather than his original mask. And since he was my favorite original Toa, yeah, slightly disappointing. Pohatu, on the other hand, I think has a great update that recalls his original mask without copying it. Lewa is like that third bowl in the Bear's hut; somewhere in between.

Weapons: Will Pohatu ever go back to being foot focused instead of hand focused. Probably not, sadly. And yes, I want my Kopaka with a big white sword.

As I said, I like these designs but if you're bringing back the original Toa to finish off the first phase of the story, I would've liked them to resemble the original toys a little better. I worry about Onua's mask as that was -the- coolest mask ever and I doubt we'll see that simple classic design when the next three come later this year.

-Tohst

I'm not exactly dissapointed with the new Nuva, but as long as they are good sets, then they are already awesome...

However, the 3 new Phantoka and Nuva probably won't be in the sky, because the next location is the Swamp of Secrets.

-ZotS

And a friggin' shield.

<<DV>>

Ohhhh, a white shield about 10x10 but with Bionicle-esque detailing. That would be very nice.

-Tohst

And a friggin' shield.

<<DV>>

Seconded. I wasn't going to comment on 2008 because I really don't like how the sets are done, not to mention how the gimmic for this year even MORE closely resembles B-Daman.

Kopaka is truly the largest shame out of them all. I mean, while the others have inventive shoulder-mounted jetpacks and helicopter fingers (no sarcasm here), Kopaka is stuck looking like a WWII plane. There are FAR better ways to mount wings (and for that sake, FAR better wing designs), and Kopaka gets stuck looking like an average 7-year old designed him. Not to mention how his only weapon is a bayonet. And the fact that his mask has a Tie-Fighter mouth just makes this thing a completely failed attempt at what could have been something truly awe-inspiring.

Oh, and for the record, I am NOT one of those people who expected an exact rehash of the Nuva. I expected drastic redesigns, but this is DEFINITELY not a good redesign. At all.

Edited by KMOI

Best Bionicle sets in 3 years. As Nuva, no. But as regal-looking heroes liable to me modded to an insane level? They're incredible.

And I love Kopaka's Bayonet. Not for kopaka, but it's great.

Edited by Ecto

VK

May we please have a link for those of us who are too new to just know where it is?

It would be nice if they used metallic versions of their colors rather than greying them up so much. Lego barely uses their Metallic Green color and this would be a good chance to use it. Nothing against PearlLightGrey, in fact I'd love these (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=50898),(http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=47296) to be finally available in that color.

Edited by BrotherDog

You'll find it here:

http://www.bioniclestory.com/

Skip the movie if you like, hit next, then go to Command Central, and Story Serials, and you'll find it under the Gali Nuva Blog #6. At the end Icarax is mentioned.

Also, upon reading a quote from Greg, the Bionicle Legends 9 quote in his sig a while back on BZP was a quote from a Makuta. He has now confirmed that this Makuta is not Icarax, so it may be that the new Phantoka villains are Makuta after all, or it could simply have been the Makuta of Metru Nui or another Makuta. Hopefully Icarax is a Titan.

VK

Icing on the Nuva cake:

1) In the case of the Nuva, we knew what the storyline was going to be for 2008 and that it was going to require the return of the Nuva. So the designers went into it knowing they were redesigning the Nuva, not doing new Toa.

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

All of you guys are so bitter. "2001-2003 was the best years of Bionicle EVAR!" Grow up. The focus group of Bionicle has changed, and so Bionicle must as well. Personally, I think it's interesting how they can come up with so many different types of ammunition from 2004-2008, but I'm not saying I like it. You need to take the good with the bad, though I guess in your case it would just be the bad. Never launch the pod if you hate them so much, or make a "better" modification which I'm sure you and Darth Vader will try. Hell, you'll most likely succeed, but you're not working at Lego and calling the shots, and even if you were, there's no way they'd allow as many pieces as DV uses in a ten dollar set.

Ironic, because I found 2007 to be the best year ever. The designs were fantastic, and the characters were interesting.

On the by-and-by, has anyone noticed that whatever it is the Phantoka shoot opens up with little spidery things inside?

Also, if each Toa and Baddie gets a Matoran buddy, does this mean when the other six canisters are released they'll have small companions as well?

Edited by InnerRayg

Also, if each Toa and Baddie gets a Matoran buddy, does this mean when the other six canisters are released they'll have small companions as well?

Ooooh! I hope so. That'd be a dream come true!

2007 was excellent. It was much better than 2006, which was MUCH better than 2005. I hope LEGO keeps going in this up hill pattern. 2007 does look like it has some compittion with 2008, IMO.

Yes. 2007 was awesome. The best year; great story and great sets.

So that means the new villains are Makuta? Cool.

And Lego did betray us, with these Toa Nuva. I love them, but they look nothing like the Nuva (other than Kopaka).

I don't know about the others in Summer 2007, they are probably going to the swamp of secrets, so they might be on land, other than air.

-ZotS

If anyone wants to know what the Nuva should have looked like, check out ToM Dracone's blog, The Life of Trees, on BZP.

Lord Thrawn: If LEGO had released those as the Toa Nuva, I know that die-hard fan that I am, I wouldn't have bought one...single...nuva. For pete's sake, they're a downgrade! For MOC, maybe, for nostalgic fans, maybe, for normal fans or loving fans like me, NEVER. I would NEVER buy those as Nuva.

That's it. That is the utmost betrayal by LEGO. Despicable.

So, because they knew they were designing the Nuva, they should have made them look like the old Nuva. Uh, nope. Because if I was store, and I looked at LEGO's catalogue and saw the name Toa Nuva with figures that resembled ones I had in the market just five to six years ago, then I wouldn't order them. Greg Farshty himself said that stores and LEGO are hesitant about even re-issuing the Toa Nuva as TOA NUVA. Stores DO NOT like it. This is not Batman. It is BIONICLE.

It is not betrayal, it is called making money. And if LEGO doesn't do it, there is no BIONICLE.

What I don't get is why the Toa Nuva need to look like the old ones. Why? What earthly purpose does it serve? Were the old Toa Nuva that good that we need copies that look like them in certain ways? I think the new Nuva look far better than the old ones did. They have more poseability, more function, cooler masks. If LEGO made ugly sets, then this would be the utmost betrayal. But they are not ugly, they are well designed in my opinion. I like them, and so this is not betrayal.

Ikki, is this betrayal because you don't like the new Nuva or because they don't look remotely like the old Nuva?

Ironic, because I found 2007 to be the best year ever. The designs were fantastic, and the characters were interesting.

This first set-release seems to me to be just as good as the first 2007 set-release, if not better owing to Toa Ignika. Of course I can't comment on story.

Interesting how it's all about taste; many here on Eurobricks thought in early 2007 that 2007 was the worst year yet, set-wise. I'm of your opinion, InnerRayg, although I actually like 2008 sets so far.

VK

Ikki, is this betrayal because you don't like the new Nuva or because they don't look remotely like the old Nuva?

The latter. And I laugh at the idea of having them resemble the 2002 Nuva being a bad idea. Why, then, I must ask, will making them almost exact copies of the Inika & Mahri help any? :-|

Look at Jaller Mahri. Some nice, general resemblance to his 2001 form. Guess what? People loved him! It is possible to please practically everybody, only LEGO does not care.

-Ikk

I find that the first Toa of each arc are the most original. For example, the Toa Mata were more original than the Nuva. The Toa Metru were more original than the Hordika. And then the Inika. Unfortunately the Nuva fall under the category of this story arc so they were doomed to have Inika parts.

So I expected this.

But then, it's not like they can't be improved just because they're similar. Look at, uh, every Mahri. They're all better individually than their Inika forms.

My opinions on the 2008 sets will be held until it matters for me to post them. It's still 2007. I'm trying to enjoy it. The last book isn't even out for crying out loud.

Now let me re-enact the un-mutated Hagah scene. :-P

EDIT:

The explanation for the different look is actually very simple, basic and elegant this time around -- no complex transformations, no twisting the story into knots to explain it.

Greg

Edited by Clonie

Stylized Hauish mask. Darkened colors. Epic look. :-P

-Ikk

For you do Darkened colors equal help give an epic look?

Personally, I liked the darkened colors when they showed up with the Metru but I'm tired of them now. Its not that I like the brighter colors better but rather I like variety. I think Lego is getting better with that with the lime greens and translucent colors but I'd like some bright red, blue, and green pieces again as well.

Tahu, even in bright red, had a very epic look for me. I think good set design gives the epic look and different colors gives parts monkeys more to play with.

I guess I'm just hard to please. ;-)

-Tohst