Sign in to follow this  
Murdoch17

909 National Limited with 2-10-4 "Texas" type steam engine

As some of you may know, I changed the black-and-red Texas type steam engine to a more photogenic reddish brown color and added a bigger smoke-box door to the front of the engine.

19442729185_61a4daa5fc_z.jpg

Here is the original version of this engine from a few months back.

20558375651_321378bf02_z.jpg

...and here is the new version, with a photo taken earlier this month.

Their was one problem with this engine though. It had only my 8-studs wide 34-studs long train cars for it to pull. These four (yes, only four) train cars looked really weird next the engine, as the cars were almost as long as the engine (without the tender)! So, I set about redesigning the coaches, which had named the 909 National limited. Here is the results of that rebuilding:

20972534992_654f592b16_z.jpg

This car is the baggage / passenger car, also known as a combine.

20989845621_a1b986b6aa_z.jpg

These two cars are passenger coaches, though I might just make a third one someday. Also, as you may have noticed, the cars are too far apart from each other. This was fixed by moving the wheels back a hole in the train base soon after the photos were taken.

20956120896_999a01a4a6_z.jpg

The car you see here is just the observation with it's "909" plaque on the rear.

Where did get the idea for these tain cars in the first place? They were inspired by a 8 wide Galaxy Express 999 MOC I saw years ago on Brickshelf. (see it here: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=374748 ) The name of this train was changed to the tune of the Beatles song "One after 909" from the album "Let it Be". Then I tried a bunch of words after that could go with 909, including the following: limited, express, cannonball, flyer, runner, and a bunch of other names and combination of said names I can't recall. Eventually, I ran into National Limited on accident when correcting a typo. I liked the way it sounded, and thus 909 National Limited was born.

As a side note, the LDD file for the coaches cannot be given out, for two reasons: 1) MOCpages is having issues with missing pictures, e-mail notifications, and the broken activity bar. MOCpages also happens to be where I upload my LDD files. 2) I made these train spur-of-the-moment, and thus their is no file to give out anyway! :grin:

I'm quite sure you could figure out how the coaches were made, but if you can't, I will make an LDD file and upload it when MOCpages gets back on the right track. (train pun intended!)

Edited by Murdoch17

Awesome train! Very cool that you came up with its own name. The 909 National Limited sounds like a train you would take cross country.

Awesome train! Very cool that you came up with its own name. The 909 National Limited sounds like a train you would take cross country.

Thank you, and yeah, it's supposed to run from New York City - New York, to Los Angeles - California with stops in Washington - DC, St. Louis - Missouri, & Denver - Colorado. It's a very long distance train!

EDIT: Almost forgot: The third coach (fifth car total) is almost finished! I just need for the wheels / assorted misc. parts to get here.

Edited by Murdoch17

That brown is really makes this locomotive look awesome. The carriages are a great build too but to my eye they need a detail on the side, sich as a black stripe to tie in with the lines on the locomotive. Outstanding work.

Rob

That brown is really makes this locomotive look awesome. The carriages are a great build too but to my eye they need a detail on the side, sich as a black stripe to tie in with the lines on the locomotive. Outstanding work.

Rob

That's a very good idea: I may just put a black stripe under the windows. Thanks for the idea!