Sign in to follow this  
CaptainToad

pab cup online! :)

Even though I like s@h very much there are always things that could be improved. Maybe lego will read this and consider it! :)

My idea:

lego should offer a s@h pick a brick cup :)

think about it! every month there would be an offer of lets say 40 elements that you can buy in bulk in a pab cup! one cup filled with one specific element. I would really appreciate this - on the one hand it would be cool to see what they have to offer each specific month and certain elements could be obtained for a cheaper price - like for example the translucent blue 1x1 tile which you need a lot of if you want to for example create some water/sea mocs. if you buy it via pab it will be muuuuuch too expensive - if you can get it from a lego store in pab cup it becomes much more affordable. The only problem is, not all cities have lego stores and if there is no lego store in a nearby city or much worse if there is none at all in your country then you simply have bad luck.

what do you think about this pab cup online idea?

Edited by CaptainToad

I think it's a very nice idea. I live in the Netherlands, and as far as I know the nearest PAB wall is somewhere in Germany, closest is I guess Oberhausen. There are a few Lego-only stores here, but they don't have a PAB wall (again, as far as I know). If someone knows a PAB in the Netherlands, please share :grin:

I would really love to see a thing like that happen in the very near future.

It'd be nice for customers but a loss for LEGO. A cup full of 1x1 plates or tiles costs LEGO more than a PAB cup sells for. The fact that you have to go to a physical store with limited stock prevents people from abusing this too much. Also its balanced by the many many kids filling cups with mostly large bricks and not even clicking them together to optimize space. The PAB cup is also a way to get people in to the store so they make other purchases.

It'd be nice for customers but a loss for LEGO. A cup full of 1x1 plates or tiles costs LEGO more than a PAB cup sells for. The fact that you have to go to a physical store with limited stock prevents people from abusing this too much. Also its balanced by the many many kids filling cups with mostly large bricks and not even clicking them together to optimize space. The PAB cup is also a way to get people in to the store so they make other purchases.

you are probably right

I agree with Vorkosigan. Although it could be nice to have Pick-A-Brick cups available online, it would be a fast-track to a financial loss from what I'd presume, and it also would risk detracting from some of the unique incentives that going to a LEGO Brand Retail store offers.

The bottom line is they should offer bulk (even small bulk) purchases online. Unless you have some special arrangement (like LUG bulk purchases), you can't buy 100 white 2x4's for anything less than 100 times the 2x4 price. Part of the reason PAB online is so expensive is because after you submit your order, someone has to go fulfill it.

But if they automated it and sold 100 packs of various basic pieces in a specific color, they should be able to do it a lot more cheaply than online PAB, and make more profit than in-store PAB (for savvy buyers, anyway).

The best they've done in the past is offer certain limited packs of colors of limited (but not exclusive) types, like "black plates," and "red roofs."

The bottom line is they should offer bulk (even small bulk) purchases online. Unless you have some special arrangement (like LUG bulk purchases), you can't buy 100 white 2x4's for anything less than 100 times the 2x4 price. Part of the reason PAB online is so expensive is because after you submit your order, someone has to go fulfill it.

But if they automated it and sold 100 packs of various basic pieces in a specific color, they should be able to do it a lot more cheaply than online PAB, and make more profit than in-store PAB (for savvy buyers, anyway).

The best they've done in the past is offer certain limited packs of colors of limited (but not exclusive) types, like "black plates," and "red roofs."

exactly! I totally understand that if you order 100 unique parts someone has to gather them together and it gets more expensive than if you ordered 100 pieces of a specific element. lego should understand that not everyone has a lego store nearby and not everyone is part of a lug

Well it may not be viable for the Lego online store to offer pab cups, so is there a separate service that offers sending cups full of pieces from pick a brick walls to international destinations? I elaborate on my question in the topic I created here: Pick a Brick service

Edited by slopemodified

Bulk bricks to order would be a dream come true for anyone in Ireland, where there's not only no LEGO store, but a sea to cross and currency to change before getting to the nearest country that does have a store. Sadly, I can't see TLG planning anything like it any time soon. :sad: