Sign in to follow this  
piterx

Help with hulls

Hello guys!

I don't belong to this section but i really need your help:

I need a floating hull that can handle let's say around 200-300g without sinking as i'd like to build an IR motorboat.

Is there anyone of you that has some experience with boats?

i was thinking about the one from 4011 set...but it might be too small.... is there something inbetween that one and the biggest ones used for ships?

thanks a lot :)

Tricky question!

Perhaps you could look at sbrick rather than IR control as you could see your ship sail off into the sunset when IR fails...

I also dont know how to waterproof Lego. There are so many seams in a model that can leak. Do you have ideas to waterproof your ship?

I don't know about the weight but there are several "boats that float" hulls between the one from 4011 and the largest version. Bricklink calls them "boat hull unitary". For example this is 32 studs long vs the 24 stud version in 4011: http://alpha.brickli...lor":11,"ii":1}

Dutchiedoughnut: I think its assumed he will use a hull that is made to float, so there are no below water seams to worry about.

Edited by Vorkosigan

4011 is definitely too small unless you're using two as catamarans. The main risk there is tipping.

Sariel has weight-tested the boat hulls he owns, I would recommend asking him. (Report the results back here!)

Do a search, there have a few motorized boats in the Technic forum in the past. 4011 is kind of small. Chima set 70006 has a large hull. Two should give you good stability.

Also BrickWorld Chicago has an IR boat race in the hotel pool. You can probably find pictures and videos online.

Good luck.

Hey! thanks for all the answers guys :)

what i'm actually trying to do is a proper motorboat, so no catamarans :P

on youtube theres the one made by Grohl that uses the belville theme hull.... thing is that i'd like to make something way smaller than that

i've made a quick test with the 4011 hull and unless it floats perfectly it's not going to work XD

1ieo8n.jpg