Sign in to follow this  
thefamilybrick

Restoring a Light Brick

We found a light brick from the older Exo-Force theme. According to Peeron (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/54604), this is supposed to be a "light and sound" brick, but the one we found seems to have a failing battery. So no sound and a week LED.

Has anyone ever tried to crack open one of these bricks to restore functionality? I was wondering how it might have gone for you...

Thanks!

I have one of these I kind of want to restore too, it looks like there is a tab that can be pushed in to pop open the battery area. I don't know that there is sound though, I have an exo force with one of these that didn't have sound even when it was new.

I can confirm- no sound. I think they're just generally classified with the "Light & Sound System" bricks, but these were light-only. Also curious about replacing the battery... I'll have to dig some out, too! :classic:

I also have one of these with a weak LED. I have been meaning to try and crack it open, but have never got around to it.

The cells inside are a common size for a lot of smaller toys or flashlights, so replacement batteries would be no worry. The question is if it will open/close without breaking.

Not to be a Negative Nancy, but even new those things didn't have the strongest of LEDs. Still, I am also interested in replacing the batteries in mine.

I'd like to know if it can be replaced without damage as well. None of mine are burnt out yet, but I'd like to know for future use.

Otherwise, are there any good third party light systems that would work without taking up too much space? I would like something for Orthanc in the palantir room. I like the red light, but I wonder if something would be more sustainable than the official piece.

Thanks for the responses! Completely forgot I had asked this.

We haven't gotten around to cracking ours open. Has anyone else had a chance? What were your results?

Otherwise, are there any good third party light systems that would work without taking up too much space? I would like something for Orthanc in the palantir room. I like the red light, but I wonder if something would be more sustainable than the official piece.

Haven't tried opening an official one myself. Lifelites sells a light brick that would be the same size as an official one but the switch can be left on and the batteries are designed to be replaceable. If you're willing to go wired, there plenty of nice solutions there that aren't too complicated.

Okay, i  recently got one of these. Yes you can replace the battery. Here's how without damage.

Along the 4stud wide side in the groove beside the battery you'll find a tab clip. Push that in n up with a small slot screwdriver this will release the cover then you have to gently pry up the rest. Treat it like you were seperating a screen parts of a cell phone and it will seperate.