Sign in to follow this  
Silvio

Different Box Openings (Top And Side)

Hi! I can't find any info on this on the web, so if anyone can help, please do.

I have the 42009 set wich came in a box that opens on the side. I don't like that type of box because I can't hold the pieces in it while building. I like the top opening boxes. The thing is, I saw the same set with the top opening.

How come that same sets come in different types of boxes? Not different print, but different opening.

It is known that LEGO has some sets in both combinations - either glued or sealed(taped?). I wonder which country you bought your set. Do you have a picture of your opened box? I would love to see if box is completely different or it just glued differently.

I would prefer to have your box as it look like it can be flattened quite easy.

Last year I certainly saw similar but on different continents. In the USA the logging truck has a tape sealed box, but when it came out in the UK 3 months later, it had glued boxes. To be honest, this helped me as I was able to flat pack the boxes when I carried them back from the USA to UK in my luggage!

My preference would always be for tape sealed boxes as they are easier to flat pack for storage. Storage is becoming more of an issue as my collection grows.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the box. The ones I cannot use as storage for my parts I throw away. After 15 or so years I stoped keeping all the boxes. And I don't flatten them since I'll never sell my Legos or otherwise use the boxes. Although, I must admit it breaks my hearth to throw them. Some of them are beautyfull.

Now, for the origin of the set. I bought it in Croatia but I think that all of mainland Europe has the same ones. And I don't think it is just the location (if at all). My big sets have both types of boxes. 42030 - top, 9398 - top, 8285 - top, 10214 - side, 42009 - side... I don't see a patern.

And, as Blondie-Wan just said, it seems country is not the issue here. Maybe there is a "plan", but I sure don't see one.

Hey zux! I just remembered that I have a picture of the box. Now, uploading it here... is another thing. Will do that tomorrow.

Edited by Silvio

I have this:

post-138282-0-11316100-1433112813_thumb.jpg

As opposed to this:

post-138282-0-52105200-1433113986_thumb.jpg

Edited by Silvio

I always smile when people throw away their old boxes.... although I understand that there is only so much room in people's houses for boxes (or even LEGO!)...

But when I see a set without a box (even in as rough shape as this one)...

http://www.bricklink...asp?itemID=9819

And realize full well that had they kept the box... it would have added $2000-$5000 value to these different versions of the 310 set....

17991446090_16b11b263d_b.jpg

Really old sets have been sizzling on the secondary market lately... and part of it is because they are so rare without the box....

The 6 versions of the 310/1310 Esso Service Station... the first LEGO model set (1956-66).... from my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide.

Edited by LEGO Historian

All that without any info on the topic. Tsk, tsk... Ok post in general.

To reply, as I mentioned I will never sell my legos. The Lego comunity has a strong emphasis on the monetary value of legos. I share that interest only as a buyer. And complain of the prices. :wink:

Besides, here is my collection: http://rebrickable.c...ile/Silvio/sets It is literally impossible for me to profit from this for at least 3 decades. And by than they would have been heavily used.

Stop lego slavery! :laugh:

Edited by Silvio

My 42039 is the only Technic set that has side opening box. Btw, if you check flaps on a box (with side opening) you'll notice you can repack it again without taping.

Well, the "box question" remains. As for the 42039 set, I think that is a middle size box and they never come with top opening. Just like 42029 or 60052.

Edited by Silvio