Sign in to follow this  
Breakdown

3 X 60050 & 1 X 7937 or 2 & 2? Station opinions . . . .

I recently nabbed a MIB: 7937 on E-Bay for about $40. It should be arriving to my US warehouse today.

On the weekend I was at my local toystore, and saw one of these on sale with the newer 60050, it was an older box, a little beat up. I tucked it behind the others and will return there if I choose to buy it.

I'm having trouble getting into the new lego, 6-wide vehicles, dark grey etc, it's a struggle to want this because I'll either have to segregate my lego or try and incorporate the new with the old. I bought the 60050 station as an impulse purchase while at the store to buy more PF tracks. I want a station that's sufficiently long enough or close enough to long enough to accomodate 6 car trains.

When I started to build and work with the 60050 I started to really love the set. My first impression seeing the box was cheap drive thru fast food place morphed into train station. It's pretty impressive-looking as a platform, etc, the 7937 looks very . . . . "juvenile" on the box. For those that have both, or are familiar with the 7937 is this a set worth buying. Yes, I already have one, but is it worthy of purchasing a second one??

When it comes to lots of things, I usually tend to value my opinion more than those of others, but I guess the issue is that I bought set # 60050 with very low expectations and have come to really enjoy it, so I'm wondering if the same will apply for the older station.

Thoughts??

Do you need Lego stair pieces or 6x5 girder panels? If not, I'd definately go for another 60050. My only complaint about 60050 is the use of the giant sloped windscreens in the Lego shop portion, but the rest of the set is a good collection of multi-purpose bricks for MOC/MOD work. 7937 was just not as satisfying to build.

7937 is the only post-9V set I own, and it seems to work pretty well with the older stuff. This video, for example, shows it being used a lot with the old 4558 train:

But it's a very small station, and really only one wagon fits at the platform. There's a nice playability from a kid's perspective, but it's only ever going to be a branch-line station. And little bits are always breaking off it - the clip-on lights and the barriers around the bridge are particularly flimsy. It comes with 4 minifigs though, which is a decent amount for what is otherwise a very small building.

7937 is the only post-9V set I own, and it seems to work pretty well with the older stuff. This video, for example, shows it being used a lot with the old 4558 train:

But it's a very small station, and really only one wagon fits at the platform. There's a nice playability from a kid's perspective, but it's only ever going to be a branch-line station. And little bits are always breaking off it - the clip-on lights and the barriers around the bridge are particularly flimsy. It comes with 4 minifigs though, which is a decent amount for what is otherwise a very small building.

I should mention that I just bought my first 9V set (to be converted to PF or 12V since I have zero track). Most of my stuff is pretty old. My trains include 7715 (Extra cars) 182, 727 and a pair of 7745s.

Get another 60050, and then add on to the pair with your own pieces.

I think the best station ever released is 4554 metro station -- and we've seen some moc/mods here in different color and size that confirm that in my mind.

Get another 60050, and then add on to the pair with your own pieces.

I think the best station ever released is 4554 metro station -- and we've seen some moc/mods here in different color and size that confirm that in my mind.

I agree 100%, but unfortunately this set is not available to me in MISB at MSRP. I'm trying to acquire a second hand set, or just build my own epic train station.

I appreciate the comments thus far though. Most I agree with.

Why don't you build your own train station? :classic:

I want to build my own train station, but what you have to understand about me is that everything involving me needs to be needlessly complicated. Like . . . . insanely complicated, not just a little complicated.

So . . .most of the things that I do will only make sense to me.

With both of these sets, you can actually combine (2) each and make it look a little more realistic - closed back, larger platform, etc.

Ultimately, I don't like the color scheme of the 60050 as much. The tan is a little too uniform for my tastes. But ultimately, I'd like the overhang to extend out twice as much, and put a turnout. I might even swap out all the tan for another color and brighten it up a bit.

The 7937 is a nice remake of the 7822.

There are some fun MODs out there using multiple sets, but ultimately I agree with the other comments - LEGO designed train stations leave much to be desired, and really would benefit from a ground-up redesign.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DmChylde/Trains/misc/train_7937_train_station.png&imgrefurl=http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic%3D77356&h=372&w=800&tbnid=yRxPmjkdh805VM:&zoom=1&docid=E22X2z293slmwM&ei=oeE_Vd6WH9WOsQTx34GACQ&tbm=isch&ved=0CDAQMygKMAo

With both of these sets, you can actually combine (2) each and make it look a little more realistic - closed back, larger platform, etc.

Ultimately, I don't like the color scheme of the 60050 as much. The tan is a little too uniform for my tastes. But ultimately, I'd like the overhang to extend out twice as much, and put a turnout. I might even swap out all the tan for another color and brighten it up a bit.

There are some fun MODs out there using multiple sets, but ultimately I agree with the other comments - LEGO designed train stations leave much to be desired, and really would benefit from a ground-up redesign.

http://www.google.co...ed=0CDAQMygKMAo

I would NOT be combining both unique sets, the one platform would be somewhere on the track and the other would be at another remote location, obviously the platform for the 7937 would require some more plates to extend it in length, as my end goal is to have mostly 6 car trains throughout. The first thing that I thought of with the 7937 is the nod to 7822. Considering the lack of parts in the catalog at the time it was released, I find 7822 to be a superior set in design of the two.

You can make a fairly impressive station with a large footbridge by combining 2 x 7937 with not many wasted parts:

IMG_6416.jpg

I combined them with a bricklinked version of the red 2150 Metro station to make this:

IMG_6431.jpg

http://www.google.co...ed=0CDAQMygKMAo

Whatever this is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ausini-TRAINS-Set-25110-Building-Block-Toy-928pcs-city-station-lego-compatible-/281480303950?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418988954e

Is a good remake of 7937. I'd actually be somewhat tempted to buy this if the train bases were black, since black 6 X 28's seem to cost a fortune!!