Sign in to follow this  
DrJB

Electrical Questions

Some of this information might be available elsewhere, though I looked a bit, but thought It would be nice to 'review/refresh' what we already know, and possibly get some new insight from those who've never shared their experience.

1. The old 9V motors do seize and many people have reported this mishap. However, no one (I could find) has explained why this happens and if there was a way to fix this.

2. Old 9V mini-motor - notorious for failing, dis-assembly feasible, but repaired units do not last very long as permanent magnet tends to pulverise and jam motor from inside.

3. Light Bricks - How to open and replace battery?

4. PF lights: one light dead - How to repair?

5. RCX Remote no longer works - Nothing wrong with the remote, all you need to do is reflash the yellow RCX brick, and voila!

PS. I know my way with electrical/electronic components, but a different perspective/experience would certainly be welcome.

Edited by DrJB

133 views and not a single answer?

Am I the only one trying to 'resuscitate' a seized motor?

Edited by DrJB

1. Could be the bearing or cheap magnets (like the micro motor). I thought my geared one was seized but manually turned it and it works fine.

2. It and one version of the geared 9v motor had a ring magnet. They were pressed powder and poor manufacturing.

3. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37693

4. Buy new set. The LED is made/glued into the stud size piece.

5. Don't know about the RCX. Search the forum.

P.TMS. You didn't need to bump the post, I was typing/tapping my reply on my tablet when you did.TM

Some of the 9V motor cases get pretty beat up taking them apart. The one I had that seized was caused by a metal plate coming loose and binding against the magnet.

2. It and one version of the geared 9v motor had a ring magnet. They were pressed powder and poor manufacturing.

3. http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=37693

4. Buy new set. The LED is made/glued into the stud size piece.

5. Don't know about the RCX. Search the forum.

P.TMS. You didn't need to bump the post, I was typing/tapping my reply on my tablet when you did.TM

Thanks, I already gave some of the answers (2/5), and glad we agree / have similar experience, especially for #2.

As for 3, I knew of that thread (single post) but it seems old and the link to the video does not work anymore.

PS. Why the TradeMark TM symbols before/after? Or is that unintended from the tablet you used?

Edited by DrJB

Using tablet and must have held my finger too long on a letter. And for videos, they don't load on Eurobricks, just every other site.

Some of the 9V motor cases get pretty beat up taking them apart. The one I had that seized was caused by a metal plate coming loose and binding against the magnet.

Those had the same custom made low profile motor as the micro. But I think they did away with that type for cost reasons.

133 views and not a single answer?

Am I the only one trying to 'resuscitate' a seized motor?

I've never had any problems with any of my LEGO motors, so this is a non-issue to me.

One of my M motor is seizing from too much GBC work. I traded in some VIP points for a new one. I don't know if I'll attempt to fix it or keep it for practical jokes on my LUG members.

The trademark is part DisneyTM's acquistion of Eurobricks. Check the frontpage. :wink: