TheBrickPal

LEGO Dimensions Discussion

You guys are probably getting annoyed of this by now, but...

Ben 10 in Lego Dimensions?

(sorry)

Uhm, sorry to break it but... hasn't that show died already?

Yeah, there's no chance. I don't recall the sets they made being very popular, and the show isn't relevant anymore, either. I think we know all of the licenses that will be included for now.

Yeah, there's no chance. I don't recall the sets they made being very popular, and the show isn't relevant anymore, either. I think we know all of the licenses that will be included for now.

If they do get Ben 10 in Lego Dimensions, Plz be the original.

I just read that Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson are voicing their Ghostbusters characters again, and that archival recordings of Harold Ramis will be used for Egon Spengler. I've also read that Frank Welker is doing Peter Venkman, though.

I just read that Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson are voicing their Ghostbusters characters again, and that archival recordings of Harold Ramis will be used for Egon Spengler. I've also read that Frank Welker is doing Peter Venkman, though.

That is awesome! Where did you find this information?

Edited by Ordinareo

My brother and I were discussing other potential themes just the other day. Of Lego's past licensed themes, candidates include:

• Harry Potter - The movies are Warner Bros. properties, the theme was a success, and the brand remains hugely relevant in pop-culture to the point where Harry Potter characters could easily headline a future expansion. Of previously done themes, I'd consider this the most likely.
  • Speed Racer - The movie was made by Warner Bros., and even if neither it nor the theme accompanying it was successful, the character (and his car) remain iconic. Also, the potential world based on the theme could be made distinct by revolving almost entirely around vehicle racing.
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - While the theme accompanying the show was a failure, the show itself was not, and could be considered a cult classic. Also, considering the show's emphasis on characters and worldbuilding, I think it would be considered much more viable for Lego Dimensions than it would as a full theme. Unlike Harry Potter and Speed Racer, it is NOT a Warner Bros. property, but considering Viacom does not have their own toys-to-life game I imagine that the licensing for this game would be easy to acquire (unlike Disney-held properties), and the building toy license has not been claimed by any of Lego's competitors (unlike SpongeBob SquarePants and TMNT).
  • Minecraft - Hey, it's possible. Despite being owned by Microsoft now, Minecraft remains multi-platform, and like Portal 2, I could see an interesting campaign made from the Minecraft theme.
  • Angry Birds - With Lego making sets for this franchise next year, this would be an option. Like Portal 2 and Midway Arcade, this is a video game that would offer built-in gameplay styles to mix things up and make this theme stand out.
  • The Hobbit - I know Lord of the Rings is already included, but The Hobbit could potentially be included as well. If this theme were to get its own world separate from the Lord of the Rings one, it could potentially be set during the Battle of Five Armies to help make up for the lack of content from the third Hobbit movie in the Lego The Hobbit videogame.
  • Disney themes - these are some of the least likely, at least for as long as Disney insists on keeping its characters exclusive to Disney Infinity. But if they ever decided that more money could be made by allowing Lego to use its characters for their own toys-to-life game as well, then plenty of potential themes open up—Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Disney Princess, Toy Story, Pirates of the Caribbean, Marvel Super Heroes, and more.

Among non-licensed themes, there are even more options. I imagine Lego would want to stick mostly to current or recent themes, but even so, I can see a lot of options:

• City - Not the most exciting, I know. But Lego City remains one of Lego's most popular themes, and after the amazing Lego City: Undercover for the Wii U, I could see the potential for a City-based world and characters in Lego Dimensions. Even better if it includes characters from Undercover that never appeared as physical figs, like Rex Fury.
  • Friends - While an odd choice, Friends is also a popular theme with distinct characters. The hardest part would be optimizing the passive civilian characters so that they could remain as cute and friendly as ever without seeming totally helpless in combat. Perhaps they could utilize "non-attack attacks" like the music-based attacks we've seen Marty McFly use in some screenshots.
  • Elves - While newer and less time-tested than Friends, the Elves characters arguably have more potential as game characters due to having elemental powers that could be used for puzzle-solving and combat. One hindrance is that unlike Friends, there have been relatively few vehicles in the Elves theme that could be adapted to the game. But as the theme continues, perhaps more options would present themselves.
  • Bionicle - I know what you're thinking—an action figure theme? Really? But Bionicle was one of Lego's most successful story themes for many years, and its characters and world would be a unique choice for a world in Lego Dimensions. The recent "Hero-figs" from Hero Factory's last year could potentially work for the toys themselves, with only a few new molds needed for masks, armor, and weapons. One challenge (besides the need for new molds) is that so far, the rebooted theme features no vehicles to be adapted into mini-models. The theme would either have to introduce new vehicles/rideable animals, adapt vehicles from the classic theme (probably a less appealing option), or include some other buildable elements in their place.
  • Pirates - One of the only non-story themes that I'd really consider viable. The main appeal of this theme would be the classic characters (including the updated Captain Redbeard) as well as offering high seas gameplay without the Disney-owned Pirates of the Caribbean license.

I feel like LEGO will not make Dimensions sets for out of style themes. I agree that Speed Racer could make a cool Open World racing thing, but more likely LEGO will get the rights to something more popular that is also racing based, such as Fast And Furious, if they wanted a Racing style world. I can't really see them doing that license specifically, but I used it as an example.

It also seems that many of the licenses included have some sort of Interdimensional travel in them, even without the LEGO crossover. The Wizard of Oz, LEGO Movie, Dr. Who (I think), Portal (It would logically be supposed), Back to The Future, and even Ghostbusters all have some sort of twisted alternate reality or parallel world as a main plot point. With this in mind, it may be easier to guess at some future licenses they have in store for us. I would give a guess/wish list, but I don't know if this is the topic for that sort of thing.

God Bless

Probably no Disney at all, as long as Disney Infinity's still going strong. I'd honestly love a Wonderland world, but Disney owns both popular versions of Alice, so that won't be happening. :hmpf_bad:

Lego Disney's Frozen as a future Lego Dimensions world?

The thing about Disney's current situation with Infinity is that it prevents a lot of franchises that would otherwise be almost surefire successes. If (and that's a huge IF) Disney decides at some point in the future to allow their franchises to be used in Lego Dimensions, many of their brands (including Star Wars and Marvel Super Heroes) would almost be guaranteed inclusions. Disney Princess would probably also be in that category, provided Lego is in fact willing to include mini-doll themes in the first place.

The question, therefore, is what world would accompany the figures, since for the most part there seems to be only one real world per theme. Frozen characters would obviously be among those if the Disney Princess theme got added, but the world in the game might opt for something a bit more timeless like Cinderella's castle.

Edited by Lyichir

My brother and I were discussing other potential themes just the other day. Of Lego's past licensed themes, candidates include:

• Speed Racer - The movie was made by Warner Bros., and even if neither it nor the theme accompanying it was successful, the character (and his car) remain iconic. Also, the potential world based on the theme could be made distinct by revolving almost entirely around vehicle racing.
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - While the theme accompanying the show was a failure, the show itself was not, and could be considered a cult classic. Also, considering the show's emphasis on characters and worldbuilding, I think it would be considered much more viable for Lego Dimensions than it would as a full theme. Unlike Harry Potter and Speed Racer, it is NOT a Warner Bros. property, but considering Viacom does not have their own toys-to-life game I imagine that the licensing for this game would be easy to acquire (unlike Disney-held properties), and the building toy license has not been claimed by any of Lego's competitors (unlike SpongeBob SquarePants and TMNT).

Among non-licensed themes, there are even more options. I imagine Lego would want to stick mostly to current or recent themes, but even so, I can see a lot of options:

• City - Not the most exciting, I know. But Lego City remains one of Lego's most popular themes, and after the amazing Lego City: Undercover for the Wii U, I could see the potential for a
  • Pirates - One of the only non-story themes that I'd really consider viable. The main appeal of this theme would be the classic characters (including the updated Captain Redbeard) as well as offering high seas gameplay without the Disney-owned Pirates of the Caribbean license.

I hate to be a debbie downer here, but I highly doubt they'll do avatar. There's no show airing to accompany it, and it's been a number of years since the theme was retired. I know there's korra, but I don't think it's popular enough among kids to warrant a theme. I know people are going to say "but Doctor Who is becoming a theme!", however, Doctor Who is a kid's show that, as blondie-wan said over on the licensed forum, is still currently on air an will probably continue going for the foreseeable future, making it a safe investment for lego.

Pirates and City will probably be added, I'm sure. there's no way LEGO would pass up on it! ;D

I hate to be a debbie downer here, but I highly doubt they'll do avatar. There's no show airing to accompany it, and it's been a number of years since the theme was retired. I know there's korra, but I don't think it's popular enough among kids to warrant a theme. I know people are going to say "but Doctor Who is becoming a theme!", however, Doctor Who is a kid's show that, as blondie-wan said over on the licensed forum, is still currently on air an will probably continue going for the foreseeable future, making it a safe investment for lego.

Pirates and City will probably be added, I'm sure. there's no way LEGO would pass up on it! ;D

Avatar is still popular, isn't it?

There hasn't been a Ghostbusters movie in a long time. There may NEVER be another Back to the Future movie. Portal 2 is a four-year-old game, with no word on a new installment. And The Wizard of Oz came out more than 75 years ago. Current media is not the determining factor for Lego Dimensions, from the looks of it. Enduring relevance is. I think Avatar: The Last Airbender could at this point be considered a "cult classic", despite no longer being on the air.

Is it likely? Maybe not. Viacom has been pretty terrible at merchandising the Avatar franchise since the series was new, so perhaps working with Lego to bring the theme to Lego Dimensions is a bit too much to ask. But I think the series would make more sense for Lego Dimensions than many of Lego's other past licensed themes, and I won't lie—it would certainly be a treat to see Lego finally do right by the series.

Avatar is still popular, isn't it?

Ummmm..... yes, but I think with an older age group....

There hasn't been a Ghostbusters movie in a long time. There may NEVER be another Back to the Future movie. Portal 2 is a four-year-old game, with no word on a new installment. And The Wizard of Oz came out more than 75 years ago. Current media is not the determining factor for Lego Dimensions, from the looks of it. Enduring relevance is. I think Avatar: The Last Airbender could at this point be considered a "cult classic", despite no longer being on the air.

Is it likely? Maybe not. Viacom has been pretty terrible at merchandising the Avatar franchise since the series was new, so perhaps working with Lego to bring the theme to Lego Dimensions is a bit too much to ask. But I think the series would make more sense for Lego Dimensions than many of Lego's other past licensed themes, and I won't lie—it would certainly be a treat to see Lego finally do right by the series.

I see what you're trying to say, but remember that LEGO recently acquired the ghostbusters license to make the ideas set and still have access to the production molds, so the logical choice then is to put Ghostbusters in the game. Same idea with "Back to the Future". Portal 2 recently demonstrated that it has lots of potential, being a project on ideas that reached 10000 votes pretty quickly. The Wizard of Oz is world renowned, and many people young and old are fans.

While you're not wrong in saying "current media" is not a determining factor, it doesn't feel like you're approaching it from the right angle (gettin' all strategically analytical up in this children's toy hizzle :dhappy: !). As I said before, there's some good reason why LEGO chose those particular lines. Unfortunately, and as much as it pains me to say it, Avatar seems pretty impossible. While you're right in pointing out Avatar is certainly popular, I strongly hesitate to call it a "cult classic". "The Wizard of Oz" is definitely a classic. I bet if you went onto the North American streets and asked random people whether they knew Avatar or The Wizard of Oz, pretty sure it's gonna be The Wizard of Oz.

Viacom sucks at merchandising everything.... because all they ever merchandise is spongebob!

It makes sense from a fan standpoint.... unfortunately not from a merchandising standpoint (and trust me, I'm no economics major, I just figure it's the logical thing...)

We can always hope though.... after all, LEGO Doctor Who! Who would've thunk it?

• The Hobbit - I know Lord of the Rings is already included, but The Hobbit could potentially be included as well. If this theme were to get its own world separate from the Lord of the Rings one, it could potentially be set during the Battle of Five Armies to help make up for the lack of content from the third Hobbit movie in the Lego The Hobbit videogame.

Yes, give me Thorin, Bilbo, Bard, and Dain. name the price, put a sticker on it and sell it. Like you said it will make up for the lack of BOFA

I really think this has a chance, just like Harry Potter and Minecraft. I just think those will be featured in the next game if they continue this Gandalf, Batman, Wyldstyle thing

When it comes to licenses I could definitely see them adding more Waner Bros franchises to the line-up. I could see Harry Potter being added. And if Oz proves popular I could see them adding something like Willy Wonka to the mix.

When it comes to licenses I could definitely see them adding more Waner Bros franchises to the line-up. I could see Harry Potter being added. And if Oz proves popular I could see them adding something like Willy Wonka to the mix.

Wonka would make for an awesome level pack.

I'd really prefer a potential Wonka pack to feature charatcers based on Quentin Blake's illustrations, as I don't really either film version of Wonka. I don't like the first film's Oompa-Loompas either, so perhaps the "updated" illustrations from the books would be better. Considering the two films and the original's greater popularity, though, I would expect that one to be the source. But while it would be amazing, all of this is totally baseless speculation, so maybe we should stop.

I'd really prefer a potential Wonka pack to feature charatcers based on Quentin Blake's illustrations, as I don't really either film version of Wonka. I don't like the first film's Oompa-Loompas either, so perhaps the "updated" illustrations from the books would be better. Considering the two films and the original's greater popularity, though, I would expect that one to be the source. But while it would be amazing, all of this is totally baseless speculation, so maybe we should stop.

I'd expect a movie version over book just because of recognizability. And I'd expect the older one just because of nostalgia. I mean Lego could have easily just used the book version of Oz which is in the public domain, but instead opted to use a license instead, so obviously they're banking on the popularity of that particular version of the story. I would assume that in the case of Wonka they'd do the same and pick the nostalgic version rather the book or "new" version.

Though they could always do what they did with Batman and include both. Somehow two fighting Wonka's would be as awesome as two fighting Batmen...

As for if this is the wrong thread for this discussion or not I think this sits in kind of a grey area. Speculating whether or not other Warner Bros properties will show up in a game that utilizes mostly Warner Bros properties feels somewhat relevant and the threads title is pretty broad in topic. I don't think that a little speculation would hurt. Honestly though if the mods or other members don't want that discussion here we can always just create another thread for it.

Wonka would make for an awesome level pack.

It would indeed. It would also be pretty different to have a world that's mostly an interior location rather than exterior location. That might make racing mini-games a bit more complex.

It is great to see the Anubis Guards from Pharaoh's Quest being reused as Scooby Doo enemies.

Edited by Ordinareo