sparkart

[MOC Scooby-Doo] Speed Buggy and this friends, Tinker, Debbie, and Mar

In the 1970s, Hanna-Barbera produced cartoons that a whole generation of kids enjoyed. One of these was Speed Buggy, and the characters from this show made a cross-over guest appearance on The New Scooby-Doo Movies, "The Weird Winds of Winona".

Here's a LEGO purist version of Speed Buggy with no modified or painted bricks or elements. For the mouth, I used the printed 1x4 tile piece from the LEGO Cars 2 "Mack" model:

16511770275_093991fa26.jpg

LEGO Speed Buggy!

Speedy's a little bigger than I wanted (I like smaller economical LEGO models), but I also wanted the whole crew to fit inside. It's kinda strange that Mark stands in the back, but this arrangement makes them look like the cartoon.

It's difficult to see in the photo, but there's a walkie-talkie stowed underneath, near Debbie, that represents the remote control/radio that was used by Speedy's friends (and sometimes his antagonists). The back of Speed Buggy incorporates a cargo/engine compartment that holds an engine that Tinker can tinker with.

I'm working on a way to incorporate a LEGO wind-up motor, but I'm afraid it'll compromise the design. I'm thinking maybe a pusher trailer attached to the back, maybe something disguised as a puff of wheel smoke? Any suggestions?

Thanks for checking it out, and supporting it on LEGO Ideas.

Edited by sparkart

Thanks for checking it out, guys. I was at a LEGO convention yesterday, WorldWarBrick.com, and I brought Speed Buggy along. One kid that saw it, exclaimed, "Speed Buggy!", which shocked me completely, because he was way too young to know what it was. Then it dawned on me; He was just reading the sign I had made for the model.

I can't help but think that kids that see this model would just think he's some Disney Cars knock-off, whereas, Speed Buggy came first, decades earlier.

I was very fond of this cartoon for a little while when I was a kid forty years ago (around the same time I first discovered LEGO, as it happens), and this is a well-done build, instantly recognizable to those of us who know the show. I like how faithfully you were able to do it using a completely purist build, and using such an economy of pieces, something many licensed MOCs don't accomplish.

I've gone ahead and added my own support for it on Ideas. Good luck!

Thanks for your support Blondie-Wan! I know what you mean about using too many pieces to build something. I think i might have erred on the other side with Speed Buggy, here. Speed Buggy and his crew are made with so few pieces, that it's more like a poly-bag than a box set.