Hello guys, hope this is a new post and never posted before.

I do find 3D instructions really interesting and helpfull for those like my nephew which is 9 years old.

I do work a lot with 3D softawares (due to my job) and I'm an Autodesk customer.

I was wondering if one day we will be able to create 3D instructions for our MOCs.

Do you like them?

What do you think?

Do you mean like the mindstorms and technic apps? They are pretty good but I prefer just the normal pdf. It would probably take a bit longer to make (and the process already takes a while)! It would be cool, but at the end of the day it is about the MOC

I think we can already do that with LDD,

however the 'steps' are highly unpractical.

I wish we had a program that can modify

building steps generated by LDD, and publish it.

P.S. Could this topic be in the wrong sub-forum?

In a sense, we already have that. The vast majority of fan created instructions you see were created with LDraw tools and then organized with LPub. If you have the original LDraw file then you have 3D instructions. In fact, I often keep this file next to me while I build so I can always go to a step and rotate the model around in space if I am not sure where something goes.

In a sense, we already have that. The vast majority of fan created instructions you see were created with LDraw tools and then organized with LPub. If you have the original LDraw file then you have 3D instructions. In fact, I often keep this file next to me while I build so I can always go to a step and rotate the model around in space if I am not sure where something goes.

Ok I see your point but I mean 3D instructions...not just a 3D model to have a look at!

Refer to the link/video Blakbird....it's simply awesome!

Being a student at CADD I can tell you that that is a lot of extra work,yes you can use inventor or 3DSMAX to make the model but you would also need some sort of program like unity to make a virtual viewer that you could interact with.

yes, this one as example!

It is about the moc sure, but why not enjoying the building experience even more?

see i loved using that app

its a shame lego dont use it more and put every new set on there, maybe as a extra (DLC type payable)

could even a unique code in the paper copy of your instructions that unlocks the 3D instructions within that app

Ok I see your point but I mean 3D instructions...not just a 3D model to have a look at!

Refer to the link/video Blakbird....it's simply awesome!

Yes, that's what I mean. An LDraw model is not just something to look at, you can actually go through the building steps and look at them in 3D. I don't see any difference between that and the video. You can do all the same things.

I've used the LEGO building app and find it a bit annoying. Although the technology is cool and will probably open the door to an even younger audience, I just find that it slows me down by about a factor of 3. Too much sitting around waiting for the next step to rotate into view.

I think we can already do that with LDD,

however the 'steps' are highly unpractical.

I agree. In my limited experience building from the instructions generated by LDD they're impractical to the point of being almost unusable on larger builds.