crowe-k

Testing electric parts

I found these two pieces in a lot I purchased recently. I think I narrowed down the two sets they are from but the lot didn't include all of the pieces of each set. :sad: So is there a way to test these and see if they work? I'd like to pick up the remaining pieces that are needed for each set but would like to know if these two pieces are functional.

Thank you!

:thumbup:16045334920_eccf173429_z.jpg

Simplest way is just taking two wires and a 9V battery and connect each wire to the side of the light/motor.

I do not mean to sound ridiculous, but do you happen to have a 9V battery box?

4760c01.jpg?0

Being the original way LEGO powered the electrical functions, this would be the simplest, as the light and the motor could be attached directly to the connections on the battery box.

Otherwise, I second what Zblj said. I believe that the light will flash or stay on depending on which side is attached to the different terminal of the battery.

You should also check through the parts from the lot for other pieces with the metal underlay for electrical connections (including parts connected with wires). These types of parts are very useful for relaying power when you do not want to attach the components directly to the battery box.

Edited by Slegengr

I do have the battery box in one of the bags of still unsorted pieces. I'll have to keep an eye open for pieces with a metal underlay. I know there were a few pieces where bricks where attached with a wire. Thanks for the feedback.

Do you have the pulley for the micromotor? You can damage it if you stall it without that. And they do cost a pretty penny :wink:

I have not dabbled in the whole electric lego thing myself... I would like to though. The most I have used are those miniature batteries operated Christmas lights haha

I agree about using a battery with wire. You can also use the salt water method though I am not sure how effective that would be.

Try using a multimeter to check the resistance of the lamps and coils in the motor.....then check on a battery.....though I'm not sure of those lamps are 9 Volt or not.

If you have that 9V batterybox, you just need a simple and cheap 9V cable to test that motor. You'll need that cable anyway to MOC something out of those parts

All 9V lamps are, oddly enough, rated at 9V input :wink: