For the S-Brick contest i'm building a Sherman with the following functions: Left track, right track, turret traverse and gun elevation.

CS00459-2.jpg

The tracks are driven via sprocket's in the front as in the real sherman. Because of this the driving motors are also in the front. On top of them are the IR receivers. Behind the driving motors is the battery box which is flipped on its side to make it fit.

Designing the rounded final drive on the front is a real pain. Though lots of Shermans are build in approximately this scale, the are all not RC and have a lot more room for complex building techniques so I cant copy, paste :sadnew: . Ideas and suggestions are appreciated :grin:.

15481808783_ae3e10254d.jpg

The tracks have a simple bogie suspension system.

15914057468_4f0999c86c.jpg

16101488295_2b12f53c86.jpg

And i'm sorry but all the fancy colours are not to stay :tongue: .

Have a merry christmas!

Wow, you really set the bar quite high with such a small scale. I'm very curious how you will fit everything in, let alone connect the drivetrains for the turret and the gun. Or will the gun motor be inside the turret? It looks like that's the only place where you still have space.

I do hope the gun/turret don't block the RC input from reaching the receivers. If you had an SBrick you could put it in the back behind the battery box :P

Wow! This is similar in scale and theme to what I'm currently building and wondering whether to enter into the competition, albeit mine is half a century newer:-) fitting all the mechanical stuff inside is a challenge (for me at least), so is my studded parts collection, so for now it's built in black with mostly pieces from the nineties!:-P

Looking forward to seeing this project evolve!

Looks good, are those bogies on pendular or torsion bars?

Just simple pendular bogies

Wow, you really set the bar quite high with such a small scale. I'm very curious how you will fit everything in, let alone connect the drivetrains for the turret and the gun. Or will the gun motor be inside the turret? It looks like that's the only place where you still have space.

I do hope the gun/turret don't block the RC input from reaching the receivers. If you had an SBrick you could put it in the back behind the battery box :P

Im still figuring how to that but i think i will put a micromotor in the turret.

And yes the IR receivers will probably be a problem, but that's the s-brickpart of the creation (I think the should show how bad IR receivers are and how good the S-Brick :wink:)

Edited by Mark275

Small update:

I redesigned the front of the hull, which in my opinion looks much better now.

15960856299_c512a8d31a.jpg

15524597834_1837cab74e.jpg

I also made a start with the turret. Installing the turret rotation motor was a lot harder than I thought, because of those pesky wires which take up half of the inside space.

16146181552_f2c058c415.jpg

It's great to se another tank in this contest, everything looks ok, but may I suggest using this part for the road wheels ( they look slightly undersized) http://www.bricklink....asp?P=13971c01

With your suggestion in mind I've started all over again and I think its indeed better with those wheels. Thanks for the great suggestion!

Because I've to order the wheels, I made a start in LDD.

15530077823_eb8c849ac2.jpg

With your suggestion in mind I've started all over again and I think its indeed better with those wheels. Thanks for the great suggestion!

Because I've to order the wheels, I made a start in LDD.

15530077823_eb8c849ac2.jpg

front transmission housing looks a little flat, hmm. Maybe use this part for the shaping and then put tiles on it. http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=92946&ccName=4653087

Rebuild the hull with the other wheels (and worked on some aesthetics for the suspension). The tracks are a bit lower now, because at first they were to high. and there a bit longer because of the bigger wheels.

16193217961_2b96153739.jpg

And worked on the turret rotation system and the gun elevation system.

16169267026_aa291e9c52.jpg

This is looking good so far :classic: do you know where the battery box is going to go? (make sure it is easy to access (personal experience :blush::laugh: ))

This is looking good so far :classic: do you know where the battery box is going to go? (make sure it is easy to access (personal experience :blush::laugh: ))

It's under the white plate, and can slide out the back :)