Rayskull

Bionicle Protector Alternate Builds

I'm not sure what you are saying about that fixing Lewa's neck problem. The brain stalk still collides with the top of the gearbox.

True but lewa and my protector also colided with the gears themselves st the neck level. Now his neck has full rotation without bumping into cogs.

True but lewa and my protector also colided with the gears themselves st the neck level. Now his neck has full rotation without bumping into cogs.

The final retail set doesn't have a third set of gears behind the head, just the two sets in the armpits. You can check the instructions- on page 13 is the final gearbox.

I thought you were referring to the issue that they couldn't tilt their heads backwards.

The final retail set doesn't have a third set of gears behind the head, just the two sets in the armpits. You can check the instructions- on page 13 is the final gearbox.

I thought you were referring to the issue that they couldn't tilt their heads backwards.

It bumps into those shoulder cogs. So I changed them to much smaller cogs. I was happy it fit nicely because the gear box has ridges around the axle holes that limit what can go in there.

Can you make a tutorial for that PoF alternate build? I mainly wanna make the torso. If you wanna make it a secret, that's ok.

Can you make a tutorial for that PoF alternate build? I mainly wanna make the torso. If you wanna make it a secret, that's ok.

Its the original torso :) only difference is the way I mounted the launchers. However it has changed slightly since then I'll upload mucher better pics this weekend... Been working around the clock lately.

Its the original torso :) only difference is the way I mounted the launchers. However it has changed slightly since then I'll upload mucher better pics this weekend... Been working around the clock lately.

Alright, thanks.

Thanks for the awesome blaster idea, finally got a second from a SW set (As I couldn't bear to take any of the other Protectors' blasters away)

I would, however, like to know how you mounted the PoW's blade/jet turbines... Been trying to find a good solution for that...

Edited by legozebra

Here is my Protector of Jungle / Air

Note the extensions on the legs, they really fix the proportions for me.

erros1.jpg

His sword can be hung on his hip:

erros2.jpg

Horrid picture of his back:

erros4back.jpg

I broke him apart so you can see how I did the gear box and waist:

erros5.jpg

erros6.jpg

I spared no expense on the parts.

legozebra

I took apart the POW I've kinda forgotten the exact recipe but I used the alternate shoulder build described at the beginning of this thread and used Technic connectors to fold the props over his shoulders like Lewa's shoulder armor.

Kabootops

This is for you, please excuse the terrible photos but I hope this helps some:

pof1.jpg

pof2.jpg

Thanks guys for having a look!

Edited by Rayskull

Thanks, as soon as I saw that shade of green I knew I had to focus on POJ. I switched the gear box to actuate the right arm only, much better that way due the wings, good chopping motion.

The crotch and waist area are worth noting. It looked too bare there so I filled it in :)

erros1.jpg

His sword can be hung on his hip:

erros2.jpg

Horrid picture of his back:

erros4back.jpg

I broke him apart so you can see how I did the gear box and waist:

erros5.jpg

erros6.jpg

I spared no expense on the parts.

legozebra

I took apart the POW I've kinda forgotten the exact recipe but I used the alternate shoulder build described at the beginning of this thread and used Technic connectors to fold the props over his shoulders like Lewa's shoulder armor.

Kabootops

This is for you, please excuse the terrible photos but I hope this helps some:

pof1.jpg

pof2.jpg

Thanks guys for having a look!

Awesome as always. Thanks for the look on PoF.

This is just amazing... personal opinion but I'm loving the lack of the orange/yellowish pieces on the moc! I didn't have any plans to buy any of the protectors, but it looks like I'm picking up the jungle one so I can atleast swap in the trans-green shells for Lewa.

erros1.jpg

Edited by LegendaryArticuno

I've finished modding my POF. I didn't see this thread until recently, and I wish I did; I like the previous mod shown by Rayskull and I might just use his idea for the weapons.

anyway here he is: (Im new so I don't really know how to post pics)

Protector of Fire Mod

Protector of Fire Mod

The back and how the gun folds:

Protector of Fire Mod

Protector of Fire Mod

I like what you did with the back of the shoulder gun. Its the little things ;)

Edited by Rayskull

(Im new so I don't really know how to post pics)

Welcome Dr_Chronos ! This tutorial should be helpful. :wink:

I like the gun modification, the Protector himself not so much, because of he has a massive body, thin upper arms and upper legs, and armoured lower arms and lower legs. The difference is too big. You should add tyres on these bones, it would give more thickness, and more consistency. (:

Or, if you don't have tyres, use a combination of this and this (although a combination of black and dark bley isn't the best option, but you could try a dark bley / trans fluore. orange combination instead).

Welcome Dr_Chronos ! This tutorial should be helpful. :wink:

I like the gun modification, the Protector himself not so much, because of he has a massive body, thin upper arms and upper legs, and armoured lower arms and lower legs. The difference is too big. You should add tyres on these bones, it would give more thickness, and more consistency. (:

Or, if you don't have tyres, use a combination of this and this (although a combination of black and dark bley isn't the best option, but you could try a dark bley / trans fluore. orange combination instead).

Thanks! I don't have those tires yet but I will definitely try that other solution. Thanks for the tutorial too.

I like what you did with the back of the shoulder gun. Its the little things ;)

Indeed it is :)

Here's my take on the Protectors... Thanks to Rayskull for inspiration for the PoJ's custom gear design! I experimented with alternate gearboxes, but I finally decided on just stealing Lewa's gearbox (and replacing it with my own custom one) as that was really the one way the double-gear design would work...

16143397648_2913ecd3f9_c.jpg

16305029736_7516f67489_c.jpg

The PoJ has friction by using this with this, partly sprung from a need to not have asymmetrical gears, mostly because when I was turning the large gear it kept edging out a tad and "skipping teeth," if you know what I am referring to...

15708546284_ea2a489984_c.jpg

15708546404_e0c1ebcff2_c.jpg

16143593940_769412bd72_c.jpg

For the PoI I was going for a "winter cloak" type look, but it certainly doesn't look like that... Not sure what to make of my own design yet. I'm half liking it and half wanting to rip it off...

15708545674_b4763c2852_c.jpg

And yes, the red flag is a nod to Matoro. ;)

15711059773_36d57000d9_c.jpg

The Protector of Fire and Stone are fairly standard, IMO. I used Crabster's design for the PoS, partly because I ran out of the extremely useful 90 degree L joints, and it works great. CHI Mungus is happy that I didn't dismember him for those L connectors. (I try to at least keep my overseas exclusives intact ;) )

They're on my flickr (https://www.flickr.c...hotos/legozebra), if you do want to see them. I stole Rayskull's weapon and gun turret design for the PoF.

And I have yet to mod the PoE, he's just included in the pic for fun.

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

(And yes, I really am quite horrendous at back-armoring. Any tips would be great, but I am getting inspiration already from seeing all of your pics)

Edited by legozebra

Oh hey, I made some mods to my Protectors recently! Check 'em!

15712383014_c17d48a77b_c.jpg

16147429390_babf9e37bd_c.jpg

16308862786_1b072d47a4_c.jpg

16148626179_9d13b0473c_c.jpg

Also, I made a mockup of Ekimu early this morning.

16339026535_cb9ec252e3_c.jpg

16153142827_5d003d9936_c.jpg

Apologies for the grainy photos, I'm lazy and just used my phone :P

Oh hey, I made some mods to my Protectors recently! Check 'em!

-snipped-

I NEED to do that to my PoE! The upper/mlower armor comb on the legs is amazing. PoE is my absolute favorite, the hammer is great.

Edited by legozebra

Also, I made a mockup of Ekimu early this morning.

16339026535_cb9ec252e3_c.jpg

16153142827_5d003d9936_c.jpg

That's pretty good! What mask/helmet do you intend to use on your final version of Ekimu?