Mordep

Best Set to learn suspension and traction

Hi,

I love technic and I'm reading some books and trying to learn something new.

I want to make some king of vehicle with full suspension and 4x4 traction but I think I need to see how it is done first.

I own a 42009 and a 42008 so I think I have the parts for the traction. For suspension I own a 8414 and another pair of suspension springs.

Can you please advise what will be the best buy for a set with this characteristic (full suspension and 4x4) even if not motorised?

I think in buying a 9398 but their are expensive and I don't know if they value the price.

Thanks a lot

Pedro

Theorethical 8110 and 8880, they have the most realistic 4x4 drivetrain setup. But you should better learn from the mocs in this forum.

Edited by efferman

If you can find one, I think 8466 is a good set as well. Some refer to it as the '3rd' supercar, together with 8880 and 8448.

With low budget, buy 42029. It should be fairly easy to motorize, but again, If you add price of motors and remote, Its price would come close to 9398.

Not sure where OP is located, but 9398 is on sale (20% off) now at Toys-R-Us for $160.00. Apparently they got many of them and they can't sell them.

Theorethical 8110 and 8880, they have the most realistic 4x4 drivetrain setup. But you should better learn from the mocs in this forum.

Those are amazing sets but their price is completely out of my world!

If you can find one, I think 8466 is a good set as well. Some refer to it as the '3rd' supercar, together with 8880 and 8448.

I really don't like the looks of the 8466 and the price again...

With low budget, buy 42029. It should be fairly easy to motorize, but again, If you add price of motors and remote, Its price would come close to 9398.

Thanks for the suggestion, it is maybe my best option, because the electric motors I already have. The remote and receivers will be the downside.

Not sure where OP is located, but 9398 is on sale (20% off) now at Toys-R-Us for $160.00. Apparently they got many of them and they can't sell them.

I'm in Portugal and here Toys R Us only sell a small amount of Technic and in amazon i get a lot better prices but still 155€ plus shipping is a little more than what I have for this purchase.

Thanks for your answers but if another suggestion appears please tell me.

as a learning exercise you might be better off looking at copying an open frame crawler MOC from someone. Nico's mog (http://rebrickable.com/mocs/nico71/trial-unimog-v4), for example, can be put together for a lot cheaper than the 8110, especially if you leave off the bodywork.

Choose a set(s) based on suggestions from rebrickable about suitable parts.

Thanks bonox,

Thats a great suggestion specially because brickset says that I already have 93% of the parts. It is missing a motor and the remote control elements (and other parts of course).