Sign in to follow this  
Admiral-Ackbar

WIP MOC - Imperial Base

I've been following the most recent SoNE freebuild with great interest recently and am quite enjoying the way the Imperial Garrison story is developing. It helped to convince me to start working on my own sort of base/garrison thing for my Imperial Troops (all twenty of them) which as you can see is a major work in progress.

All I've done so far is create a rough ground plan to help me see what pieces I'll need for building the exterior (something that is obviously non-existent at the moment) as well as inside (which I think looks fairly decent as it is). Just for the purposes of better focusing and less distraction, I've added temporary walls when picturing each section to help visualize the final result although the final result will contain dark grey walls (Pick a Brick order of course coming soon to create a more permanent solution).

I think it’s time I stopped blabbing and blab with some pictures. Oh, and I hope you don't mind if I treat this like an advertisement (I'm simply working on salesmanship skills) as I find it looks cooler?......

................................................................................................

Transmission recieved from Matthogra Engineering Corporation:

Our luxurious yet efficient new portable garrisons are the perfect way to keep control over that annoying moon with the...ahem, teddy bears, with all your squadron's needs met and exceeded:

img_20140401_192255.jpg

The nerve centre of the garrison, the control room is complete with a host of essential situation display consoles, a holoprojector which has been specifically designed for strategic planning operations, a box of blasters for those pesky rebel attacks, and room for senior staff members to monitor situations:

img_20140401_192239.jpg

img_20140401_192114.jpg

Of equal importance is the engineering section, featuring the superbly powerful DTD-97 primary fusion reactor! Newly refreshed with the latest in core monitoring technology, our patented Computech system uses a variety of measuring methods to ensure optimum output. We at Matthogra realise that engineers like to be close to their station incase of a malfunction (an unlikely situation when using our garrisons) so our designers have added room for a bed when the midnight shift doesn't require constant attention. Also, as part of our safety initiative, our garrisons are now equipped with radiation diffusing glass panels:

img_20140401_191555.jpg

img_20140401_191516.jpg

img_20140401_191453.jpg

Every soldier and officer is going to end to end up injured at some point, which means every good base has a medical bay. Like this one as you can see below. Two biobeds - that can precisely detect and fix most problems any humanoid is likely to encounter - make up this state of the art facility (with the option to add a bacta tank on our top model!):

img_20140401_191427.jpg

Even the fearless commanders of the Empire need some 'me' time, and the SO quarters are the perfect place for Captains, Admirals and the occasional Grand Moff to rest and relax:

img_20140401_191643.jpg

And especially for high priority outposts, introducing the holodesk room, giving base commanders easy access to vital information and allowing junior officers and cadets to complete training or undertake administrative duties. Also built in is the ECN, providing emergency communication capabilities with its built in transceiver:

img_20140401_191311.jpg

Our new eating areas provide maximum comfort for off duty staff looking to take a moment away from the rebel scum as well as a place for senior and junior officers alike to socialize in the off hours:

img_20140401_191903.jpg

Last but not least are the modern and comfortable sleeping quarters, fully equipped with our all-new real pillows ( :grin:) and muscle destressing matresses. Ammunition and weapons are not a problem for troopers using Matthogra sleeping areas, as a full stock of blasters are provided free of charge!

img_20140401_192048.jpg

So rest assured that buying from Matthogra Engineering is a sound choice that will certainly benefit your staff! Prices start at 500000 credits for the basic model; model above 750000 credits.

Our prototype is being rigourously tested by the Sector 7 2nd Battalion.

Senior officers are Governor Evra Soil (Sector Commander), System Admiral Marcus Seistaz, Commander Devrin Solesti (Chief Officer and Operations Manager), Captain Juno Eclipse (Acting Head of Stormtrooper Forces, XO to Governor Soil), Captain Lio Dopoly (Sqaud Officer), Commander Denir (Chief Medical Officer), Lieutenant Lucius Sadion (Medical and Science Officer), and Lieutenant Gruluz (Acting Head of Engineering).

Maximum capacity for the base is 6 officers and 20 NCOs and troopers.

................................................................................................

Any comments and especially advice are most welcome, and hopefully I'll have this completed by the summer (money issues of course!), despite it only being one 48x48 baseplate. But you have to start small...

Before I finish off, I have a couple of questions I hope to get answered before I go flinging money at TLC:

1. Should the corridors follow a flat (such as in the Death Star) or angled (seen aboard Star Destroyers) approach?

2. Is there a way to create doors (functioning or not) without having to add more walls or take up more space?

3. What is the best way to go when making a roof?

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it too,

everyone’s favourite squid-like Admiral (who now works for the Empire part time)

P.S. 250th Post!

Edit: Finally started to build up some actual walls, and did some more interior changes.

High quality pictures (with staff included) can be found at the link below:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=541805

Edited by Admiral-Ackbar

This is looking rad! I'm not sure what the round thing in front of the gunners is, but I like it!

Thanks to my limit of how much I can spend on this because of my upcoming college fees they're supposed to be engineers and that round thing is the primary core. But if you have any ways to improve the generator please tell me haha! I could make it look less like a scrap heap in all fairness and more like an Episode Six power generator (any true fans will get that subtle reference).

My manners forgot to thank you, so I am glad someone said something (nice) about this; I feel like it looks a bit sparse without the walls, and I apologise for that.

Edited by Admiral-Ackbar

I like how it looks so far. Love the stormtrooper beds! :laugh: looking forward to seeing it grow.

It looks like this is progressing well and I'm sure it will be great when the walls are up. The only thing i would suggest would be to put an exit to a hanger somewhere once the actual base is finished. I think this base would be much better with a way for the troops to get in and out of it.

P.S. Twenty imperial troopers is more than I can say I have. :look:

Edited by Steel Tiger

I like how it looks so far. Love the stormtrooper beds! :laugh: looking forward to seeing it grow.

Looking good so far, and I like the tech stations.

It looks like this is progressing well and I'm sure it will be great when the walls are up. The only thing i would suggest would be to put an exit to a hanger somewhere once the actual base is finished. I think this base would be much better with a way for the troops to get in and out of it.

P.S. Twenty imperial troopers is more than I can say I have. :look:

Thank you all for your kind comments! And Steel Tiger, I don't know if you mean a second door or if you mean moving the existing one?

Edited by Admiral-Ackbar

Sorry about that, I didn't quite detect the entrance there. I'm not as practiced at looking at one brick high models, so I should have looked a little harder before saying that. But a hangar or speeder bay in front of the entrance would look nice. (Imo of course)

Sorry about that, I didn't quite detect the entrance there. I'm not as practiced at looking at one brick high models, so I should have looked a little harder before saying that. But a hangar or speeder bay in front of the entrance would look nice. (Imo of course)

Ah, OK, I could have made the entrance a bit clearer. And I would have put hangar or speeder bay in, but as I'm only intending to build one level for now, there would be no room for one without sacrificing a lot of space, especially with only one baseplate.

Great idea! I love the way you have included the sleeping quarters. :laugh::grin:

Thank you! I actually thought there were too many beds in it, which I just changed on the thing (see the new pictures). Either way, I thought that ANY base needs somewhere for the troops to sleep.

Edited by Admiral-Ackbar

Sorry to keep pushing this up to the top :blush: , but I've updated the interior in case anyone wants to see, as well as added a couple of queries.

This is progressing well! My only suggestion at this point would be to add some kind of safety glass between your engineers and the reactor. You know ... for safety ... :classic:

I'm not positive what you're asking about the corridors ... are you talking about having the base of the walls angle up?

For doors, I used a brickbuilt, non-functioning technique in my hoth build which doesn't take up too much space (link)

I'd focus more on Imperial Crew for the control room; maybe just a stormtrooper or two to stand guard.

You should join SoNE and come build for the Empire!!

This is progressing well! My only suggestion at this point would be to add some kind of safety glass between your engineers and the reactor. You know ... for safety ... :classic:

I'm not positive what you're asking about the corridors ... are you talking about having the base of the walls angle up?

For doors, I used a brickbuilt, non-functioning technique in my hoth build which doesn't take up too much space (link)

I'd focus more on Imperial Crew for the control room; maybe just a stormtrooper or two to stand guard.

You should join SoNE and come build for the Empire!!

Thank you for the suggestions Lucas! I have some of those blueish glass panels, so I'll add one in the engineering room. As for the walls, yes, I had wondered whether to leave the corridors smooth with no angles, or more reminiscent of this:

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/23950335@N07/5493030278/

as I think having angles looks a bit better (though it costs more). Do you have any more pictures of the door that I could maybe have a look at?

And SoNE might be a possibility at some point soon...

Updated the interior once again to improve a couple of areas. Exterior wall foundAction has been built since I took these pictures but I didn't see it worthwhile to take new pictures. Hopefully my next Pick a Brick order will give me a hand in building up some real walls.

Finally found time to get some walls up and retake the pictures; feel free to comment and so on. Also, I was wondering if a base of this style can be applied to a larger range of people (e.g. Snowtroopers or Republic troopers) as I feel I might be more encouraged to get this done quickly if I know at the end it can be used more universally.