Hi folks,

here's my newest WIP MOC. You all noticed, that the Unimog family is my main theme... It's an U406 which is used in the forest for towing timber...

I plan to build a doubledrum which on the bed... The power outtakes and equipment fixations are compatible with the U400 (8110).

The U406 is still in beta and there's a lot to do. But I think it's already presentable. Next steps are motorizing and R/Cing it and I'm still waiting for parts for detailing the cab...

Enjoy the pictures...

And don't be too harsh with your critics...

So far Pat

U406_beta_01.JPG

U406_beta_02.JPG

U406_beta_03.JPG

Edited by Pat-Ard

Looks great! It seems you had a similar idea as me because I am planning to make a large utility truck in the relatively new green color.

It will be interesting to see a complete forestry unimog model. Good luck!

Also, how are you going to RC it? Will the battery box be on top of the chassis frame and drive and steer motors underneath?

Edited by unimog123

A nice job there. Look forward to the completed model and seeing it in action. The green is fine.

H

Hi folks,

thanks for your comments...

@unimog123: large utility truck sounds interesting! Yeah, I like the forestry Unimogs. My U400 also has some forestry enhancements. Regarding the R/cing - I plan to use an L-motor for drive and a S-motor for steering. At the moment I don't really know where the battery box will be placed, maybe in the cab under the hood.

@Brick_Sticker: yes, there are attachments planned. A doubledrum winch on the bed and a liftable towing shield on the rear. The mounting points are compatible to the U400 (8110) attachments. Oh, and some trailers - but that's a surprise... :)

@MrNumbSkull13: The wheelbase of the original 406 is about 2300mm. Regarding the scale of 1/12.5 the wheelbase has to be 23 studs, which is realized.

So far

Pat

Edited by Pat-Ard

Hi folks,

thanks for your comments...

@unimoag123: large utility truck sounds interesting!

Yeah, your Unimog project here is inspiring me to make a similar Unimog in the near future. I also love the Unimog family as my name would suggest. The utility truck that I was talking about is going to be a large Scania Flatbed, but I'm not getting into that MOC until later this year.

Hi folks,

here's my newest WIP MOC. You all noticed, that the Unimog family is my main theme... It's an U406 which is used in the forest for towing timber...

I plan to build a doubledrum which on the bed... The power outtakes and equipment fixations are compatible with the U400 (8110).

The U406 is still in beta and there's a lot to do. But I think it's already presentable. Next steps are motorizing and R/Cing it and I'm still waiting for parts for detailing the cab...

Enjoy the pictures...

And don't be too harsh with your critics...

So far Pat

Very nice, wheelbase is perfect, cab is very good, just put black rims on it (if you have them) and it will be perfect.

Just one idea - you can put front winch and other forestry attachments like on wftrac

http://www.werner-trier.com/1/wf-trac/the-concept/

Hi again,

thanks for all your comments and feedback!

@I_Igor: Thanks for the link. I personally would prefer red rims - that would be great. I already have attachments in my mind. Just wait and see :classic: . And as I wrote before all attachments for the U400 (8110) are compatible with this MOC.

Pat

Edited by Pat-Ard

Hi again,

thanks for all your comments and feedback!

@I_Igor: Thanks for the link. I personally would prefer red rims - that would be great. I already have attachments in my mind. Just wait and see :classic: . And as I wrote before all attachments for the U400 (8110) are compatible with this MOC.

Pat

for red rims you can use container block

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=47676

within tire and wheel like you can see on my Deere 7230R

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=535335

Thanks for the hint regarding those dishes, but I think you meant the 6x6 dish. But they are hard to get...

Anyways, today I pimped the cab a little and installed the first motors.

No I Really meant those 9X9 container blocks,

similar to this solution (only use 8448 set wheel or wheel racing medium instead of trans blue container block)

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=513018

or give me few days time, I'll make photos and post them here, so you could have (almost) compatible solution that has several advantages

- tire is more stiff on this wheel/tire combo

- on wheel from 8448 set pinholes are compatible with pins on postal axle housing, you need only to use axle to go through wheel and to use bush 1/2 to prevent wheel sliding on it

- since wheel 8448 has no offset (medium wheel has negative offset) you can make steering pivot point closer to middle of the wheel (and make front track 2 studs more narrow)

I've waited 2 years to find those red container blocks, so my Claas Axion project is alive again...now I need 4 lime wheels racing small, but that is another story

I hope I could help, again if you need some more info please post questions and give me few days to make photos of "solution"

Hi folks,

some more pictures...

Did some pimping to the cab and installed some motors. It's now R/Ced. I use a Servo-Motor for steering and a L-Motor for driving. In the back is a M-Motor for the rear power outlet. In the middle is another M-Motor with a pneumatic pump.

Next steps are building the doubledrum winch...

Have fun watching the pictures...

@I_Igor: thanks again, that's a real clever idea...

U406_beta_04.JPG

U406_beta_05.JPG

U406_beta_06.JPG

So far

Pat

Nice job. I like the angles of the cab and I'm surprised that you were able to fit a battery box underneath the dashboard and hood. Can't wait for more progress!

Thanks again...

Yeah, that was the hard bit of work...

Much more won't come. Tonight I'll get the doubledrum winch ready. Then there'll be a rollcage and that's all. The rest ist already finished :)

Pat

Some new pictures...

Added a rollcage, the winch and the towing shield...

Only some pimping ist left, but that last the longest...

Enjoy the pictures...

U406_forestry_01.JPG

U406_forestry_02.JPG

U406_forestry_03.JPG

So far

Pat

This is awesome!!

I love the double drum winch, but I'm not sure what the towing shield does or how it works. Also are you going to make a video or some more close up pictures? Great Job!

Thanks for your comment...

The shield is used for towing timber. You can lower it down so the Unimog won't slide away while towing. While towing the trunks the shield secures the Unimog if the trunks begin to slide... It's hard to explain - OK, eglish is not my native language :)

Maybe I' make a video. Let's see...

Oh, yeah I kind of get it. The shield keeps the Unimog from pulling itself towards the trunk and allows it to pull the trunk towards itself instead. I always wondered about how vehicles solved that problem.

Some new pictures...

Added a rollcage, the winch and the towing shield...

Only some pimping ist left, but that last the longest...

So far

Pat

Roll cage is great, It tempts me to finish my wftrac asap, even without e-motors...only have to make smaller cvt. Im sure 90% that I'll post photos with my idea tomorrow, so you can use it for mog 406. Btw, 406 is my fathers favorite mog (he worked in Gaggenau in late 60s and early 70s)

Kind regards

Igor