4736 Freeing Dobby Review

12 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Excellent

Year two of Harry Potter's Wizarding Career. So far, he's broken out of his Uncle Dursley's house in a blue Ford Angela, flown said Ford Angela into the Whomping Willow, learned that he can speak Parsletongue, escaped from a giant spider and its slightly-less giant children, exposed Lockheart as the fake he really was, found the Chamber of Secrets, saved Ginny, killed the Basilisk, and destroyed Tom Riddle's Diary. Now, only one thing remains on Harry's To-Do-List, and that is to Free Dobby.

Set #: 4736

Name: Freeing Dobby

Theme: Harry Potter

Year: 2010

Pieces: 73

Minifigs: 3

Price: 10.99 USD, 9.99 GBP, 13.99 EUR

Brickset

Peeron

Bricklink

Flickr Set

The Box

5295483692_e02932c697.jpg

Average small set box. Shiny, with an action shot displayed proudly on the front. The set looks pretty good from this vantage! As for the box art itself... I have to say that it's some of the best ever produced. I love the red 'wallpaper' type border. There is a Hogwarts corridor in the background as well. That's interesting, seeing as the set is a doorway...:wacko:

5295483764_017ed13554.jpg

The back, showing off the set's one play feature, as well as Lucius Malfoy's... 'Dark Side'. The box is another one of those horrid 'Push-Tab' openers, which is a deterrent to box-savers.

Instructions

5294888685_e116856bff.jpg

Folded instructions again :hmpf_bad:. I'm really sick of that, the box definitely could have fit the whole thing inside without it being folded. Sorry for the mini-rant, but folded instructions are a pet peeve of mine. As for the instructions themselves, they are crisp and clear, just as they should be. Color distinction is good, and the steps are easy to follow.

5295518950_96a41844c9.jpg

Random page, showing steps 9 and 10. Here we are beginning to build up the archway a bit.

5294929639_bf26e2e432.jpg

It would appear that these instructions have the 'Trio' watermark. They only appear on apparantly random pages, which struck me as odd. It's a nice watermark, though.

Pieces

5278594981_8dc7872e71.jpg

Ah, fresh out of the box. I don't really get why the plate is out of the polybag, it could have easily been slipped inside the large one. Oh, well, not really a big deal.

5295536396_d9f99921a9.jpg

The pieces, all (kind of) sorted out. Pretty good assortment. Sand green (:wub:), tan, dark bley, bley... Sorry, I kind of zoned out there for a second :blush:. There are also plenty of interesting pieces to be had...

Interesting Pieces

5278594857_eb98464a46.jpg

Very interesting pieces, indeed. I love that sand green slope, and those inverted slopes are always good to have around.

The spider is nice, and I can use as many books as I can get. The sock-tile is fantastic, as well.

5279201662_aac30cf093.jpg

Dobby's head gets its own polybag. It's very rubbery, with great detailing to be had. I love those big pleading green eyes...:wub:

Minifigures

5279201724_047c7b7e39.jpg

Three really good minifigures. Lucius Malfoy, in spiffy business attire, Harry, in full Hogwarts uniform, minus the cape, and Dobby, in his pillow case rag.

All the torsos are very detailed, and the face prints are excellent.

5278595043_12762e3e5b.jpg

Harry and Dobby have a backprint, which both look very nice. Harry and Lucius both have back head prints. Lucias with his Death Eater face, and Harry with his Frustrated or Angry face. You may notice that Lucius' cape is very wrinkled in the back. That would be due to his hair. While being movie accurate, his long flowing mane isn't really cape-friendly.

Bonus

What's this? I thought we were done with the minifigures? No, dear reader. Here we have some bonus images!

5295483228_581eccba4f.jpg

Here we have a back-shot of Lucius Malfoy. His flowing locks really are nice, but they really screw up his cape mojo.

5294966009_a9c99cee26.jpg

Another back-shot of Dobby. This time, you can see what his head looks like! Good detailing, even on the back.

5303075346_52b4b73594.jpg

Here's a good shot of Malfoy's Torso.You can really see the flower on his collar here.

5295628918_ba996fa25e_m.jpg5295052051_1960d98935_m.jpg5295056909_2b3c524ee3_m.jpg

And here we have the comparasin to the previous two versions of Lucius Malfoy. I have to prefer the newer one. Its eyebrows aren't as cooky as the other twos, and the hair and torsos look a lot better and accurate.

The Build

Four steps in. The base has come together nicely.

5279201890_0bc4fa845b.jpg

At step 11, there are a few more details, and the structure is beginning to get a little taller.

5278595223_d4f56a753b.jpg

And, at 17 steps in, the structure has most of its details and structure, with just a little left on the top.

Set in Full

5278595259_df267dcdd4.jpg

Ah, the set is finished. Doesn't that Arched Door look lovely :wub:? The torches aren't bad, either. There is a random broom hanging on the wall, though :wacko:. Not sure what that's about, but I'm not complaining. A good broom is always welcome in my house. The spider is attached by a 1x1 brick with a stud on the side, along with the gold stud on the other side. The set isn't flimsy at all, even during building. I really enjoyed the arch technique of building the back first, then building the front part to make a stunning effect.

5303688287_cc2e121c55.jpg

And here the set is from the back. There's not much difference, except for the small platform is more defined back here.

Features

5278595287_cc8f591def.jpg

Oh, that's a peculiar looking button... I wonder what would happen if I were to...

5279202014_018364c076.jpg

...Give it a little push...

5279202052_5716d773b5.jpg

It would appear that Mr. Malfoy pops out and falls on his face! Neat little play feature, sure to keep children giggling.

5304282060_70d53060a7.jpg

Here's on last picture of the set without the minifigures from a different angle to round out the review.

The Final Verdict

Design: 9/10. I really enjoyed the design of the door, actually. That surprises me, seeing as this is such a small set, but it's a pleasant surprise.

Build: 7/10. Short, enjoyable build. It loses some points for being so short, but it's a small set. It had some interesting techniques, and I'll be sure to use that arched doorway again.

Playability: 8/10. It only has one feature of note. Sure, it's an interesting and funny feature, but it's just one feature. The three minifigures save this score, though.

Minifigures: 10/10. I could not be happier with the Minifigs. Two have backprints, two have double-sided faces, and Dobby's face is extremely detailed. Three for Eleven bucks isn't bad, either.

Price: 7/10. I can't really complain, seeing as I got this as a gift, but Eleven dollars is a dollar over what it would have been two years ago. I understand, inflation, but still, it was nice when it was an even Ten Bucks. You get your moneys worth, though, so that partially saves this score.

Overall: 8/10. A really enjoyable build, three highly detailed minifigures, a well-designed Arched Doorway, and an interesting play feature all make this set worth picking up. The price isn't all that bad, either. It makes a good gift! I'm glad to have two in my possession.

Parting Shot

5279202130_83e121f9a1.jpg

Lucius was a shoe-in for First Prize at the Halloween Party...

Nice review!

This is a set I actually like, but which I still probably will not get. Should I indeed happen to pick it up sometime, it will be an impulse purchase. 'Cause you know, the set, if pretty good, ain't outstanding and the funds are badly needed for Star Wars! Would be my first HP set, though. And I certainly would appreciate a Harry Potter fig, too.

Meh, let's see. At any rate, the set's above average for me.

Enpaz

Edited by Enpaz

Nice review, but I ain't interested. Dobby and Malfoy are nice though. The play feature doesn't seem like much, but the video of this by FBTB really demonstrates how fun this could be :tongue:

Nice review!

This is a set I actually like, but which I still probably will not get. Should I indeed happen to pick it up sometime, it will be an impulse purchase. 'Cause you know, the set, if pretty good, ain't outstanding and the funds are badly needed for Star Wars! Would be my first HP set, though. And I certainly would appreciate a Harry Potter fig, too.

Meh, let's see. At any rate, the set's above average for me.

Enpaz

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I bought it. I was just walking through Target, and I had a little spending money. I saw this, and decided on impulse to buy it. And here we are.

Nice review, but I ain't interested. Dobby and Malfoy are nice though. The play feature doesn't seem like much, but the video of this by FBTB really demonstrates how fun this could be :tongue:

:laugh:

Thanks for that video! I actually liked the minifigures, minus the hair and cape problem.

Nice review! I picked this set up this week, and I'm satisfied enough with it. It was a little pricey, since you get only three figures, but one is a special mold, so I can understand. The arch is nothing special though.

Basically, I had zero Harry Potter Lego, and I wanted to get one set. So, this is the cheapest way to get a Harry fig. Still tempted to get Diagon Alley though.

Nice review, but I didn't like this set much. The doorway is just not enough to be a real set, so it's more like a battle pack. The figs are good, though. Dobby is cute, and my kids love the sock tile inside the book. Lucius looks cool, except his hair doesn't want to stay on.

I guess it's good as an entry-level HP set, but there are much nicer sets at this price in just about every other theme.

Very nice review cralegoboy! This is definitely a very buyable small set - you get to the goodie (Harry), baddie (Malfoy), and the new Dobby plus a bunch of useful parts. I'm on the same page with def on this one, as I don't have any HP sets yet and this will be a good set to have for my first one in the HP line.

Edited by KielDaMan