rriggs

Model Team 5580 Minifig Scale

Hi

I have just designed this in LDD. It is based on the Model Team set 5580 Highway Rig but has been built using modern CITY parts and building techniques. The basic structure - chassis, wheels, 5th wheel, etc - is closely based on the cab from 7900. The design is clearly recognisable as related to 5580 though. It has a proper minifig cabin (2 seats, steering wheel, computer screen and bunk). Removable roof panels means you can get minifigs in and out easily. While it has no steering I have added the spare wheel to the rear for completeness and to make it less plain looking at the rear.

I have uploaded it to Factory but it will probably take a while to appear. It priced at £25 which I don't think is too bad.

Truck3.jpg

Truck2.jpg

Truck1.jpg

Just got to persuade the missus to let me buy it now :sweet:

Cheers

Rog

Awesomely done mate! :thumbup: However my only criticism would be that from the side on view it looks a little longh for its height.Otherwise though, very well done. :classic:

5580 was quite long for its height:

side.jpg

making that proportion true to the original. Is it a cute shrunken 5580 you have there. It is almost as if you have washed the original model too warm! :tongue:

It should be possible to make an engine for it as well to complete the model, and my only question is about the fuel tanks with steps. Are there no 1x2 slope bricks in gray in the current palette?

5580 was quite long for its height:

I actually extended the length after first completing it as it looked stumpy next to 5580. American rigs of the type 5580 was originally based on were also very long. I always thought they looked odd especially as they tended to have the trailers perched right on the back of the cab's chassis. European trucks and modern US trucks don't suffer from this. Because of this and the bonnet, it's actually 10 studs longer than the cab of 7900 that it's contruction was based on.

It should be possible to make an engine for it as well to complete the model

I have thought about it but my problem is bonnet access. As I tried to stick to modern truck building techniques, the grille and bumper section is a plate mounted vertically. This makes it tricky to do the bonnet hinge. It's on my to do list though!!

, and my only question is about the fuel tanks with steps. Are there no 1x2 slope bricks in gray in the current palette?

I had planned to use 1x2 slopes until I realised they weren't in the pallette so I used 1x2 plates and 1x2 tiles in grey to create the steps. The effect is reasonable (if less authentic) but does mean that the two grey sections under the cab aren't identical in shape and size. Makes it easier for minifigs to climb in using these steps too :wink:

Thanks for the positive comments!

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs

Looks great. In my opnion in minifig scale, truck should be 4 or 5 nops wide.

But again, it looks amazing what you've build.

Looks great. In my opnion in minifig scale, truck should be 4 or 5 nops wide.

If it's good enough for Lego, it's good enough for me! :tongue:

7900 Heavy Loader

I know what you mean though. It's so hard to integrate my previously large vehicles (4 wide) with those which are 6 wide or - in the case of 7900 - 8 wide. I am going to have a go at a 6 wide and maybe even a 4 wide version. Watch this space! :classic:

Cheers

Rog

Good work. I'll be waiting for the 4 wide's :thumbup:

Here ya go!

4Truck3.jpg

4Truck2.jpg

4Truck1.jpg

The overall proportions have had to change a little bit to keep in 4-wide scale and still fit a minifig inside but I think it works. Need to try and do something better with the exhausts and fuel tanks but I'm quite pleased as a first effort at this scale.

Cheers

Rog

The overall proportions have had to change a little bit to keep in 4-wide scale and still fit a minifig inside but I think it works. Need to try and do something better with the exhausts and fuel tanks but I'm quite pleased as a first effort at this scale.

Great first try. As you say the proportions are a bit ....

I'll also give it it a go tonight.

One of the things i will change is the length versus height.

Here is an example , real deal tonight.

you did it very well :thumbup: adapt a model team to minifig scale is not an easy task , and you did it very very well ! I love it! and now, I want it! GIMME ! :tongue:

I love it! and now, I want it! GIMME ! :tongue:

I've uploaded both on Factory if you really wanted the instructions! Big one approved and the 4 wide pedning approval. The prices are steep but tempting!! £25 for the biggie. £10 for the 4 wide version. I might even get both! :wink:

Cheers

Rog

I thought it was fun so i also tried the black cat:

5571ldd.jpg

Edited by FreeBee