Sign in to follow this  
Fygg Nuuton

WIP: Experimental Hull

I'm building a new ship, a pirate ship in fact. Basic dimensions and statistics include:

Wide hull w/ 3 middle sections

5 main cannon broadside on an internal track and turret system, so it carries 5 guns on the gun deck which can fire to the port and starboard (I lack enough guns to dedicate anything to one side and maintain a good broadside attack)

The problem may be that it is too tall. I've given mind to cargo space, figuring it is a very important part to the who piratical experience. the area is 3 bricks tall, much like on the BSB. Above that is the gun deck, which extends about 5 bricks up, and above that is the deck. Given that I'm not going for a very long ship, I think this may be too tall to look very realistic, let alone aesthetically pleasing.

Here is a bad picture i just took to show what it looks like as of right now:

prog1.jpg

Think it will be too tall? Any suggestions on how to fit a decent gun deck AND cargo area into a ship this size?

In this picture it doesn't look to tall, but you've almost taken the picture on an isometric angle from above which interferes with depth perception. Maybe if the image was taken in profile it would help form a better picture of how tall the hull is.

At the moment I think it looks too short for its width. I.e. Its a bit short and fat.

I wouldn't call this an experimental hull, but an experimental ship...

Think it will be too tall?

It's not too tall at all, I think it is too short... But for its length, it is a bit too high, I would make it a bit longer...

Any suggestions on how to fit a decent gun deck AND cargo area into a ship this size?

Well, I do know some ships had their guns on the same deck with the cargo...

Well, there was already a topic named experimental ship, and I made an effort not to obfuscate the two.

I could make it longer, but the only center hull sections I own are from the viking longship, and I don't want the color clash. Though I suppose it wouldnt be too bad.

Picture from a profile:

prog2.jpg

Also, on the subject of it not being long enough, it's the same length as the BSB, and any larger and it will not have a heavy enough broadside.

I like the brick built part, though I would suggest making the ship longer to counteract the added width...

God Bless,

Nathan

Also, on the subject of it not being long enough, it's the same length as the BSB, and any larger and it will not have a heavy enough broadside.

I don't think it looks too high, but I still stand by what I wrote about it not being long enough. The Black Seas Barracuda is also of a different structure, because your MOC here is much more "robust" so I think another hull section would balance its proportions better.

Well i'm adding another section but it's going to look funny since it's new brown. However, i'll just build something waterlike around the bottom maybe to mask it or something, since new brown is fugly. :-D

(EDIT) Lengthened it a spot, I knew it would look better, but the color and lack of cannons was an issue. I'll just add more deck guns.

prog3.jpg

I concur Imperator Viktor Napoleon!

Well i'm adding another section but it's going to look funny since it's new brown. However, i'll just build something waterlike around the bottom maybe to mask it or something, since new brown is fugly. :-D

(EDIT) Lengthened it a spot, I knew it would look better, but the color and lack of cannons was an issue. I'll just add more deck guns.

Once you build it up a bit the colour difference should be less noticable - from certain angles that is! But it doesn't look that bad but if you know what you're looking for it is noticeable.

i like the longer length also.

I have no problem with the mixing of diff colored hulls. They are pretty close in color to me (but then again i am color-blind)

i just try very hard to only mix the bleys and rown with the classic colors when using very large bricks like a hull. otherwise with the smaller bricks, i may forget that i mixed them in the construction and mix them up in my organizer-drawers.

...N-E-Wayz I look forward to the completed model! keep us posted.

Phred

I've given mind to cargo space, figuring it is a very important part to the who piratical experience.

Ahoy,

Don't forget, that in a real sailing vessel, the hull extends significantly below waterline, while lego hulls are effectively cut off of the waterline.

This means there is dramatically different volume available for 'below decks', and you're never going to be able to create a 'to scale' interior without a full depth brick built hull.

Cargo space, being essentially only 'space' (SPACE!) is an obvious thing to go in the selective compression which is neccessary when building models restricted to the waterline - and cargo space would generally be below the waterline anyway.

Check out a few full hull drawings or pictures of full hull models and you'll soon see how much space we lose building only to the waterline.

From what I gather quite a lot of space is lost.

If I'm not mistaken a real ship would have a couple (or more) decks beneath the waterline depending upon how big it is.

But maybe the blue in the image isn't exactly spot on to the blue Col. Whipstick will be using. Afterall, its only representational and traditional LEGO blue isn't that bright.

Cannons to be used, and may change in the future:

prog6.jpg

Basic cannon on a turret track for the gun deck. The ones with palm trees on the ends will be swivel guns filled with grapeshot. The tiny one will be sub-cannons on the main deck, and haven't been finished yet. And the big ones will be one on each side, though they started as carronades, they became too large so now they are just big guns!

Also not built yet are a long nine or two as stern chasers, and maybe a large mortar for the front, just to be different.

(EDIT) Thar be the Cap'n arrr. (complete with poorly made longcoat!)

prog7.jpg

prog6.jpg

You designed those yourself? Some look familiar...

(EDIT) Thar be the Cap'n arrr. (complete with poorly made longcoat!)

prog7.jpg

I actually kinda like the longcoat :-P What's wrong with it?

Oh, never said I designed them myself I don't think. I've thoroughly scoured the custom cannon thread and piratically stolen all of your designs. No reason to reinvent the wheel.

The longcoat would probably look better with a collar of some sort, but otherwise it's good.

Anyway, working on the bow as we speak, and it's a bit influenced by the BSB which is one of my favorite ships. The aft may also be based on it, but only time will tell. When i finish the bow I'll post an image.

(EDIT) Speak o' the devil.

prog8.jpg

And the figurehead:

prog9.jpg

Started the aft of the ship, placed guns on the gun deck and began thinking about deck arrangement.

prog10.jpg

She will probably be a two mast ship, but maybe a three, what do you all think?

Is there any particular significance to the arrows?

The original had one track system for each side, the arrows were so I didn't put them in backwards. This is no longer the case, but i was just being nostalgic I guess! In the final model they will be replaced with blanks.

Arrrrghhhhhh! Exciting times lie ahead for you Mr Nuuton!

Have you got a close-up picture of the figurehead where the focus is on it? It looks like you've got something interesting going on there.

prog9.jpg

I'll post an image of the figurehead, the aft cabin and the quarter deck in about 10 hours, after I wake up and eat my apple jacks and such. Thinking of a name for the ship, and i'm always bad at these things. Thus far it's 'The Black Wind'. I've got the masts mocked up, and three seems like too many to me, and for the sails I'm thinking black duck cloth.

See you all in the morning.

Couple new photos this morning:

An overall view of the ship, the black square on the quarterdeck is the future site of the mizzenmast.

prog14.jpg

Another view from a different angle.

prog13.jpg

The crows nest, which is still in progress.

prog12.jpg

The helm, looking pretty chunky but cool I think. Again, black box is the future site of the mizzen mast.

prog15.jpg

And at the request of Mister Phes, the figurehead.

prog11.jpg

Not bad, I like it. Although the mainmast is a bit too long, I suggest you should make it as long as the fore-mast... The overall look of the ship is very nice, a bit fat but that's okay...

Not bad, I like it. Although the mainmast is a bit too long, I suggest you should make it as long as the fore-mast...

Well yeah, this is my first expirimentation with three sails on one mast, so I totally agree.