Wrapping up my latest MOC, Beast Wars Dinobot. This one is a commission piece requested by a fellow Transformers fan, based on this guy below:

a002.jpg

Since I prefer to build LEGO TF inspired from G1 Transformers series (mostly cars or mechanical-looking beasts/animals), this MOC is a slightly different ballgame since the mode is organic-looking. I'm glad I got enough right parts in brown and similar tones to pull this through.

b8516.jpg

b8543.jpg

One of the advantages of building LEGO Transformers with beast mode is that the robot arms literally form themselves without complex transformation ... like this Dinobot (or G1 Grimlock) where the dino legs become the robot arms easily..

b8526.jpg

The raptor arms were the final components I built. Without knowing how they will blend in, in robot mode, I'm suprised they turn out to be one of my favorite design techniques in this MOC (besides the raptor head which took me a while to built).

c01.jpg

The original BW Dinobot toy is pretty simple actually so its not hard to improvise upon it. But I dislike partsforming in any form (huge chunk of tail becomes weapons, duh). I took BOTH liberties in replicating the tail-weapon thingy (its a commission piece anyway.. cannot detract too much from what's expected by the client) , and also continue my no-partsforming policy in designing (the tail can remain there in beast mode until it end up on the back of the robot mode when done transforming). Attempt to fulfil the latter compounded in extra 1 week of building efforts.

e8615.jpg

I build the raptor arms without considering how they will blend into the robot mode. To my suprise... they blended/tucked in perfectly without any form of redesigning. How I wish the back could be the front/chest instead compared to a raptor head .. but this is a commission piece.. so I gotta stay true to the original BW Dinobot toy =)

h301.jpg

Without dismantling the raptor tail , transformation to robot mode will cause the tail to end up at the back , facing up.

g8627.jpg

g8633.jpg

h8658.jpg

Dinobot once auditioned for 'V' but was rejected due to poor range (he don't have a human /Pretender mode)

Visit my blog in my signature to view the transformation sequence and even more photos of this guy. =)

Edited by alanyuppie

Very nice, especially the transformation feature! Unfortunately, whenever I click on the image in your signature, it doesn't lead me to your site but only to the image file...

Good work! You cannot tell it can transform from the first picture :wink:

Thanks!

One of the main query I get always is whether parts need to be removed to transform between modes. I usually posted a few photos of mid transformation to show them otherwise :)

Very nice, especially the transformation feature! Unfortunately, whenever I click on the image in your signature, it doesn't lead me to your site but only to the image file...

Opps... here you go :)

http://alanyuppie.blogspot.com/2014/10/lego-beast-wars-dinobot-part-1-dinosaur.html

nice one as usual! this is stunning. i showed this to my friend (also a transformers fan) and he said, colorwise it didn't really resembles dinobot, but this is an awesome one, and he want to have this in his colection if he can. and about the color, i guess you can't help it, since there's no lego piece that match up dinobot color. besides, if you compare this to the henkei version instead of the original one, the color is pretty spot on actually.