Sign in to follow this  
Dan the Brickman

How much are bricks worth per pound?

So, I have this friend, said friend is going to be going to college, and has a girlfriend. So, he has decided he is done with his lego.

This is actually a good thing, because he wants to sell it to me.

He was going to sell the lot for $100, but his mom wont let him sell it for "less then $500".

It is approximately 70 pounds, mostly classic star wars sets.

I will be offering to buy sections at a time from them, since obviously I dont have $500 on me.

It is also all unsorted, with no boxes or instructions. How much would be reasonable for a pound or two of unsorted bricks?

Comments or ideas?

Well, if we entertain the idea that the average price for a LEGO piece is $0.10, and the average LEGO piece weighs 3 grams, then 70 pounds would be...

$0.10 = 3 grams

70 pounds = 31,751 grams

31,751/3 = 10,583

$1,058.30 = 70 pounds.

Over a thousand bucks! Wow! If my calculations are correct, then this would probably be a good deal no matter how much you get it for.

Another fact you must consider though, is that who know what kind of sets he has in there! If it was bunch of Jack Stone sets, it would be worth dirt, while if it was early 2000s Star Wars, you've hit the jackpot! Theres no accurate way to determine the value without going through each individual set and seeing the going price for it on Bricklink...

Overall, my advice is: Go for it! But if you don't have all the dough, but some at a time like you mentioned.

Good luck and happy bricking!

~Flare :wink:

Instead of worrying about price per pound maybe you can negotiate a final price for all of it and then divide it into sixths or something and pay a portion of it to get a corresponding portion.

Your average price per pound on ebay for general bricks will typically range from 5-7 dollars, though for good lots, it may be 6 to 8. The best deals that you can typically find on great star wars lots are in the range of 8-12 dollars (most recent lot was 12 pounds (with a complete 7662 MTT :grin: ) for about $110 US dollars.

If i were you, i would Siriusly snatch that lot up as soon as possible!

Or you could just send me the address, and i would be willing to buy :grin: !

Siriusly, dont let an offer like this pass you by.

S.B.

Your average price per pound on ebay for general bricks will typically range from 5-7 dollars, though for good lots, it may be 6 to 8. The best deals that you can typically find on great star wars lots are in the range of 8-12 dollars (most recent lot was 12 pounds (with a complete 7662 MTT :grin: ) for about $110 US dollars.

If i were you, i would Siriusly snatch that lot up as soon as possible!

Or you could just send me the address, and i would be willing to buy :grin: !

Siriusly, dont let an offer like this pass you by.

S.B.

Good Post above. $100 is a rip off, odn't do that to your friend, or he may no longer be a friend. I would get the money somehow and buy the lot, offer $400. Once you get the lot sort out 3 or 4 of the larger Star-Wars sets and sell them to pay for the lot.

Well, if we entertain the idea that the average price for a LEGO piece is $0.10, and the average LEGO piece weighs 3 grams, then 70 pounds would be...

$0.10 = 3 grams

70 pounds = 31,751 grams

31,751/3 = 10,583

$1,058.30 = 70 pounds.

Over a thousand bucks! Wow! If my calculations are correct, then this would probably be a good deal no matter how much you get it for.

Another fact you must consider though, is that who know what kind of sets he has in there! If it was bunch of Jack Stone sets, it would be worth dirt, while if it was early 2000s Star Wars, you've hit the jackpot! Theres no accurate way to determine the value without going through each individual set and seeing the going price for it on Bricklink...

Overall, my advice is: Go for it! But if you don't have all the dough, but some at a time like you mentioned.

Good luck and happy bricking!

~Flare :wink:

You are comparing the price of new LEGO pieces in MISB sets with the price of a unsorted bulk of used LEGO. The sets may or may not be complete, etc. I think 500 may be a little expensive actually. Depends really on how easy is it to look that the pieces in the bulk are cool and that there are minifigs. Try to offer 300, really.

Edited by vexorian

Hmmm.... thanks for your input. I will let you all know how that deal goes later. If it does, there may be some large MOCs coming. :classic:

@Flare- thanks for the math.

@Sirius Black (off topic) Nice avatar! :thumbup:

Agree with Vexorian. I've bought bulk "Star Wars" LEGO on Ebay for $5-6/lb. Had to clean it, but it was in relatively good condition. Of course, it depends how the auction goes... sometimes it's a lot higher, but I wouldn't pay that much.

70 times $5 to $6 is going to be around $350 to $420, and that was an ebayer - someone selling their bulk LEGO in 5 to 10lb lots, at a substantial cost of time and effort and dealing with many separate sales and shipping (it was free shipping).

$300 is a fine offer.

Sign in to follow this