Sign in to follow this  
The Who

Key Chains

I have been trying to remove the key chains from minifigs and encountered two problems.

First, I break the metal hook off of the minifig's head and pry the head off. Then, there's the first problem; I have to break off the small ''rod'' driven through the minifig's torso. Is there any way to pull it out without severely damaging the fig?

Second, the heads are glued to their helmet/hair, like a stormtrooper for example. I think the legs are also glued to the torso. Is there something I could buy that could melt/liquify that glue?

Thanks

Booger540

Wouldn't it just be cheaper and less of a headache to purchase the figures on Bricklink? I know there are solvents for glues that can be purchased at local hobby shops, but I don't know what type was used on these figures. There are some glues that actually 'weld' the plastic together; in a sense making it one piece.

I have encountered similar problems and I don`t think it is really possible to remove for example a Stormtroopers head from the helmet.

Buying them on Bricklink can be a lot more expensive, for example with the new CW Commander Cody who only comes with very expensive RGS.

But for general information on keyring removal, there is that tutorial by Slyowl on brickshelf:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=283567

We've had a discussion similar to this before ~ here. There's a link to my tutorial somewhere in there; I hope it helps :classic:

First, I break the metal hook off of the minifig's head and pry the head off. Then, there's the first problem; I have to break off the small ''rod'' driven through the minifig's torso. Is there any way to pull it out without severely damaging the fig?

Using pliers, just pull hard and the rod should just come out. There'll be a small hole in the top of the "neck" of the torso, but this won't be visible when it's used in a minifig.

Second, the heads are glued to their helmet/hair, like a stormtrooper for example. I think the legs are also glued to the torso. Is there something I could buy that could melt/liquify that glue?

Not all heads are glued to the hats, and for stormtroopers it doesn't matter, surely? - You can't see the head underneath anyway...

I don't know of any un-glue, but using a craft knife to pry around the bottom of the legs can remove them. If the hips break, at least you've got the torso and legs.

:thumbup:

To give you more confidence, I have done the same via the "just pull" method and it works. I've done normal minifigs and Fabuland figs without any problem

I used pliers. They worked very well. Then I just painted over the metal bit.

J

Thanks, it also helped me.

Yikes, way to bump an old topic. Unless what you said is really relevant, I'm not sure if you should bump such an old topic.