Sign in to follow this  
greg3

Review: Ladybird Atlantis Books w/minifigs

Hi

Today I bought these Atlantis themed activity books by Ladybird from my local bookshop. I really wanted them for the minifigs but thought I'd post a quick review in case anyone else was considering getting them. (I hope I'm posting it in the right place - did a bit of a search and couldn't find a review on here already)

The Books

Each softback book has 32 pages and is approx. A4 sized

The Quest for the Lost City (ISBN 978-1-40930-627-6) This focuses on the divers and features character bios (Lance Spears and Ace Speedman) and information about their vehicles. It also features facts about real life undersea exploration, several puzzle pages and a double sided poster in the middle.

dsc01526.jpg

dsc01527.jpg

dsc01528.jpg

The Menace from the Deep (ISBN 978-1-40930-626-9) this one is based around the theme's underwater species and features bios of the warriors (and 2 of the divers; Sam Rhodes and Jeff Fisher) as well as info about the larger creatures (crab, shark etc). Like the other book it also features a range of puzzles and posters.

dsc01522.jpg

dsc01524.jpg

The Minifigs

Each book has a warrior minifig with a trident.

A Shark Warrior (Quest for the Lost City) and a Squid Warrior (Menace from the Deep). The minifigs are presented disassembled in a little plastic tray attached to the front cover and seem identical to the version in the larger sets. (I love the Squid one especially!!)

dsc01523.jpg

dsc01530.jpg

dsc01531.jpg

Overall

The books cost £4.99 each but as they were part of a 3 for 2 promotion, I got 3 for £9.98, which makes them pretty good value in my opinion (after comparing the Bricklink prices for the minifigs alone) The books themselves are geared towards kids and I can see the mixture of puzzles, real life facts and info on the toys proving quite popular. The only thing I would have liked to see would have been some building ideas in the books rather than just the official sets but I guess that'll have to wait for the Brickmaster book due out next month. Anyway, I hope my review has been of use... comments/questions are always welcome.

Cheers

Greg

Greg: thanks for sharing pictures. I always like these little book & brick combination sets. especially when they're Action/Adventure themed. These make nice introductory sets to the Atlantis theme and will certainly appeal to kids. Neat! :thumbup:

Thanks for the review 'greg3' - those books do seem interesting plus the minifig characters are very COOL indeed ! :grin:

Might have to try and get them for my son when they released in the land of Oz.

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Those are lovely purchases, really a great way to get the Atlantis creatures. The red octopus is the best! Sadly, this might not come in our part of the world. Thanks for sharing this greg!

I came home from work yesterday to find my son had bought both of these with his pocketmoney.

The figures have the soft chinese plastic feel to them, not a surprise really.

The books themselves are actually fantastic as they give a ton of play ideas for the theme, as well as a number of activities.

They could do with some alternative build ideas though.