wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Guys, not to mini-mod, but all discussion and wishlists for future LotR sets go here. This thread is already pretty cluttered, what with accuracy discussions and all, and I don't think that it needs wishlists in the mix as well. :wink:

Don't worry they will do battle packs for LOTR. They would be silly not to. No they will not be expensive. They will be the most cost efficient way of getting the army figures. I just hope to the LEGO gods they do not screw them up by putting individual characters, lots of brick, or multiple factions in the same pack.

We will see later this year. In the meantime the Uruk hai army set is our best bet for getting a decent sized army. A $30 set gives you 6 figs plus the horse. (I see horses as valuable as another figure) It averages out to $4.29 USD per fig/horse. Not too bad of a price overall and the included LEGO brick is a nice bonus!

I'm fine with the far more substantial 'battlepacks' (Uruk-Hai Army style) rather than half the figs, no horse, and a really crappy version of the crossbow siege weapon. If it's not fore adding on to a larger build, the price and perhaps a fig (or two) should be dropped, to perhaps around $20, since we won't need that wall.

(I see horses as valuable as another figure)

Especially since it is the new, posable mold! And I agree with the rest, too, in terms of value for money, the Uruk-Hai Army is really a standout set from this line.

I'm fine with the far more substantial 'battlepacks' (Uruk-Hai Army style) rather than half the figs, no horse, and a really crappy version of the crossbow siege weapon. If it's not fore adding on to a larger build, the price and perhaps a fig (or two) should be dropped, to perhaps around $20, since we won't need that wall.

Eh, you are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree with you. I have a really hard time seeing people being willing to buy more than one of the Uruk Hai army set because of the fact that you only get 6 minifigs, one of which is a hero, and a horse for $30. I CAN see people being willing to shell out $30 for 3 battlepacks, as that mony would get them double the number of minifigs, and maybe some bricks as well.

I for one will be buying only ONE Uruk Hai army, as I have no use for multiple Eomers, and if TLG does do BP's, then I can see myself buying at least 3 for each faction...if not more.

But, I am wishlisting again, so I really had better stop before I get mod-hammered.

~Dwarf

Eh, you are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree with you. I have a really hard time seeing people being willing to buy more than one of the Uruk Hai army set because of the fact that you only get 6 minifigs, one of which is a hero, and a horse for $30. I CAN see people being willing to shell out $30 for 3 battlepacks, as that mony would get them double the number of minifigs, and maybe some bricks as well.

I for one will be buying only ONE Uruk Hai army, as I have no use for multiple Eomers, and if TLG does do BP's, then I can see myself buying at least 3 for each faction...if not more.

I still hate this Eomer argument. Nobody seems to be complaining about the other Rohirrim, which they're going to end up having just as many heads as Eomer. It's not hard to switch them out. If anything, people should be glad they're not getting the same human head twice, as is usual in pretty much every SW battlepack.

The difference between SW battlepacks and this one is that this one is substantial. You're paying not just for minifigs, but a more epic Helm's Deep. There's more to this battlepack, basically.

But I suppose you're right about people having their own opinions. I'm going to try to get at least 2 of Uruk-Hai army myself.

I still hate this Eomer argument. Nobody seems to be complaining about the other Rohirrim, which they're going to end up having just as many heads as Eomer. It's not hard to switch them out. If anything, people should be glad they're not getting the same human head twice, as is usual in pretty much every SW battlepack.

The difference between SW battlepacks and this one is that this one is substantial. You're paying not just for minifigs, but a more epic Helm's Deep. There's more to this battlepack, basically.

But I suppose you're right about people having their own opinions. I'm going to try to get at least 2 of Uruk-Hai army myself.

My opinion on this matter mostly stems from the fact that I am cheap-if I was a millionaire, I would still have a hard time parting with my cash. :tongue:

For me, I guess, it boils down to this: two Uruk-Hai army sets would cost me $60. For that, I get 4 Rohirrim, Eomer, some bley bricks, and 8 Uruk-Hai. Now, if Lego did $10 SW style battlepacks, and if they did a Rohirrim one and an Uruk-Hai one, I could get 12 Rohirrim and 12 Uruk-Hai, as well as whatever small amount of bricks Lego would include with the sets. For me, I guess, the choice is obvious-I would go with the latter over the former any day.

I can definitely see where you are coming from with your argument, though!

~Dwarf

My opinion on this matter mostly stems from the fact that I am cheap-if I was a millionaire, I would still have a hard time parting with my cash. :tongue:

For me, I guess, it boils down to this: two Uruk-Hai army sets would cost me $60. For that, I get 4 Rohirrim, Eomer, some bley bricks, and 8 Uruk-Hai. Now, if Lego did $10 SW style battlepacks, and if they did a Rohirrim one and an Uruk-Hai one, I could get 12 Rohirrim and 12 Uruk-Hai, as well as whatever small amount of bricks Lego would include with the sets. For me, I guess, the choice is obvious-I would go with the latter over the former any day.

I can definitely see where you are coming from with your argument, though!

Oh, if they had minifig battlepacks like that, I'd probably get 3 of them over one more Uruk-Hai army. But again, it's not just a battlepack - it's an extension of Helm's Deep.

Think, if you had 24 more Uruks and 24 more Rohirrim, rather than 16 Uruks and 8 Rohirrim (though there's no way I'd be able to afford that :laugh: ) that's all well and good, but where are you going to put them? I think TLG did a good job of scaling the numbers so that each wall section had a few Uruks charging at them.

Furthermore...look at Gandalf's Cart. $12 for 2 figs, accessories, and a cart. $12! A SW-sized battlepack would cost at least $20. I think they're going to use this first wave to test out the market of a LoTR theme, and if it goes well, we might just get a few battlepacks.

I really hope so. I need more elves than just Haldir and Legolas. :grin:

To keep things on-topic...I really hope Shelob's Lair comes with white string. The mechanism's fantastic, but it would ice the cake in terms of realism. :wub:

To keep things on-topic...I really hope Shelob's Lair comes with white string. The mechanism's fantastic, but it would ice the cake in terms of realism. :wub:

I think it will. The box art shows white string, so I think that TLG'S just didn't have the white string ready for the toy fair, therefore the black one was used instead. Also, black string would make absolutely no sense to represent spider web. Then again, this is a function I am very seldom going to use, so it doesn't matter a huge amount to me. I just love the Shelob set because of Gollum and the fact that Shelob has been LEGO-fied so well. Oh, and Sam.

I think it will. The box art shows white string, so I think that TLG'S just didn't have the white string ready for the toy fair, therefore the black one was used instead. Also, black string would make absolutely no sense to represent spider web. Then again, this is a function I am very seldom going to use, so it doesn't matter a huge amount to me. I just love the Shelob set because of Gollum and the fact that Shelob has been LEGO-fied so well. Oh, and Sam.

Right. About Sam...does he have a double face? I've looked at pictures and I can't seen to find any.

Sting and the hobbits are what make the set for me. I know it was a ridiculous hope, but I'm still kind of sad they didn't do printed hobbit feet... in case you couldn't tell, I'm a die hard hobbit fan ;D

Anyway, I agree about the string. Even if they do use black string, it wouldn't really matter to me. I would barely use it. I mean, Shelob is not on my list of favorite scenes, even though it was great.

I'm wondering about the potential for extra weapons. Any of the pirate fans here remember how the potc sets always came with that extra cutlass? If they had extra highlander swords in these sets, I would practically die squealing!

Edited by Philip Robin

I'm wondering about the potential for extra weapons. Any of the pirate fans here remember how the potc sets always came with that extra cutlass? If they had extra highlander swords in these sets, I would practically die squealing!

There's 2 extra highlander swords and 2 Roman spears in the interior of Helm's Deep. :thumbup:

Right. About Sam...does he have a double face? I've looked at pictures and I can't seen to find any.

Yes he does:

LEGO Lord of the Rings 246

I think the face suits Sam well. It captures a mixture of anger and fear all encapsulated within a shell of bravery. It can effectively be used in any scene where Sam has to fight or is faced with some kind of danger. Yet, I do wish they make a less determined expression for Sam in the coming sets. Maybe a set based in the Shire or Rivendell could have a more calm and happy Sam, like the Frodo in Gandalf Arrives.

There's 2 extra highlander swords and 2 Roman spears in the interior of Helm's Deep. :thumbup:

Wow, that's awesome!!!!!! I'm off to die squealing!

Edit: nobody has posted anything since I edited this yesterday... Where is everone? ;)

Edited by Philip Robin

Edit: nobody has posted anything since I edited this yesterday... Where is everone? ;)

I think everyone has realised that there isn't much left to say now, until we start hearing more about the next wave.

It's better to have this silence than what they have on the superhero thread in the licensed forum, with people going on and on and on about "Where is Nick Fury?" :laugh:

Maybe it's time to get more into the rumours section for upcoming sets.

Keep in mind, and it's been said several times in the thread already, the sets on display at the toy shows may not be finalised yet so. Of course if your excited about what you see this can only be good news, because either you're getting what you see or they're place holders for something new and cool :D

Usually the products at the toy fairs a somewhat final. From the looks of the rest of the Helm's Deep set (and all the LOTR sets other than Orc Forge) it is the final version. The reason you can tell is because none of the new moulds or prints are stickers or grainy, unlike the ones shown for the Orc Forge. So, I think, over than Sting and the Uruk swords, this wave has no new weapons. But honestly, I like these weapons, because they are generic enough yet have enough detail to be used for numerous characters. I actually don't expect to see tons of new weapons from this theme. Probably we'll see some special Elven blades, orc swords, and probably Anduril and Orcrist. Most of the new moulds coming out of this theme with be special parts for chars terse, such as helmets and beards.

There are several things I am excited about for this theme:

-The highly ornate minifig parts.

-Uruk-kai shield.

-Gollum

-'Ring' accessory.

I went through all the FBTB pics again and noticed that every body and head is a new print! That's what shows me the LEGO company is putting their backs into making this theme good...

I'm really looking forward to Uruk Hai army. That'll probably be the first set I get.

I must say, looking at all of the figures, Theodin is the best looking. Those prints - amazing! :cry_happy:

Exactly! :D I was looking at him with my friend and we decided to buy a few on bricklink... That breastplate is incredible!

Okay, I've been pondering the cape situation for a while. Gandalf is the first fig to ever get a dark grey cape (in 2009, Lando Calrissian got a light grey cape), and the new short grey capes are only in the Shelob set. I have Lando's cape, which works for Legolas, but Aragorn and Gimli don't get capes. They should each have a grey cape to represent their elven cloaks. Back in 2008 I bout a Indiana Jones set and in the set was CW Anakin Skywalker's head instead of Indy's. I called LEGO, and received a replacement piece, and I got to keep the incorrect piece. So, to get to my point, would it be bad if I bought one Gandalf set and one Shelob set and called asking for replacements capes, even though it wouldn't be needed, so I could get extra capes? I know this makes me sound like a bad person, but it isn't worth buying two of each set just for some capes, and Bricklink seems silly for capes as well. I realize this is a matter of ethics, but what would others here do?

Seems to me that much like custom weapons and accessories, there might be a market for capes in different colors and shapes. They could be used across all themes.

Edited by Churchill

*Snip cape*

Gimli, it's very likely, cannot wear a cape, given his beard. Just get another Gandalf Attack's - that set, at least, is worth getting 2 of.

Gimli, it's very likely, cannot wear a cape, given his beard. Just get another Gandalf Attack's - that set, at least, is worth getting 2 of.

I suppose so.

Also, I didn't realize we were getting a Gandalf Attacks set.