On a scale of 1 to 5  

76 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding!

A couple of LEGO car air horns, gold chrome horns, or even a few tap/spicket pieces would have made a nice addition rather than binoculars in that case.

A couple of LEGO car air horns, gold chrome horns, or even a few tap/spicket pieces would have made a nice addition rather than binoculars in that case.

I think most of those parts you just mentioned (besides the tap) haven't been seen in sets for a long time, especially the chrome ones. For all we know, they've been discontinued. Personally, I applaud TLG for their creative part use, and think the binocular pieces work just as well as the traditional tap pieces might have (and at a less exaggerated scale relative to the boat).

Personally, I applaud TLG for their creative part use and think the binocular pieces work just as well as the traditional tap pieces might have (and at a less exaggerated scale relative to the boat).

You have a point, but that's why some are referring to them as binoculars, myself included.

OK, So I'll admit it. I took a bath with my boat and it floats. It stays about half a brick above the water line. However, If you get a little bit of water in the cabin area it rolls over very easily.

The speedboat however floats quite well. The rear end does stay considerably lower and swamps out the passenger area to waist deep for the minifig.

Most fun bath I've taken in some time.

~LCM

I finally got my first floating Lego boat. I tried it in the sink. You're right, it is very low in the water.

Picture11786.jpg

Thanks for the detailed review. I would get this set on sale as I do not have a floating boat in my collection.

I'll get this set for the same reason. And for "jaws" of course)

I finally got my first floating Lego boat. I tried it in the sink. You're right, it is very low in the water.

That is extremely low in the water. Is the base piece just as low in the water without the rest of the boat's pieces attached to it? If so, that's a bit of a disappointment, because I seem to remember the floating boats from my childhood floating a lot higher.

Picture11786.jpg

Throw away the rescue jackets, it could be helpful.... :D

The Shark head I found in the box

post-1574-13069044468.jpg

Edited by weelean

That is extremely low in the water. Is the base piece just as low in the water without the rest of the boat's pieces attached to it? If so, that's a bit of a disappointment, because I seem to remember the floating boats from my childhood floating a lot higher.

The hull seems to be front heavy without the rest of the pieces attached.

Picture11859.jpg

weelan, your shark head seems a bit different than the one from my box. Rescue jackets do prevent you from being swallowed whole. :classic:

Picture11785.jpg

Well I tried it out in our Arizona swimming pool. It should have been named the "Minnow" as in "...the Minnow would be lost..."

The two inch rollers were enough to swamp the hapless craft in mere seconds. The life jackets were of very little help. Fortunately, the shark was in the deep end and didn't pay alot of attention to the hapless floaters...

I never invested in the Coast Guard sets. More's the pity. They could have used the rescue chopper. Gilligan and Son's fishing trip ended tragically I'm afraid. Now they are relegated to the "Book Shelf Navy" aka every Lego pirate ship ever made...

It could be possible. My brand new seaplane set came with different shaped propellers than what was pictured on the box.

I have this set, but the minifigures have another tipe of jacket, maybe I could put a photo.

EDIT: Here is the photo:

fishing_boat.jpg

Edited by Bluebricks