Sign in to follow this  
LEGO Train 12 Volts

Is there a better set than 8880?

Yeah, 8455 is the best overall set imo, but it's not very technical with is simple steering setup, no 4wd and no suspension. I understand they made these choices to keep parts count down, or to make it easier to build. The playability is 100%, so that's a huge plus.

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

I have just looked at the manual for the 8455 and I must say, now I think it might well be more complex, I mean it has working HO steering, and 12 pneumatic cylinders as well as a working 3 cylinder engine and rear differential/driven wheels. it has rear outriggers, a two pivot (or is or 3?) rear digger arm, and a two pivot front loader and don't forget how much smaller the set is compared to the 8880, there's even a lego document released that helps correct some errors that might have been caused by building it, and lego themselves say in that document that the set is very technical. I bet it can be motorized too, but then again the 24009 is very complex too.

Edited by SNIPE

Yeah, 8455 is the best overall set imo, but it's not very technical with is simple steering setup, no 4wd and no suspension. I understand they made these choices to keep parts count down, or to make it easier to build. The playability is 100%, so that's a huge plus.

When did u ever see a backhoe with suspension ?i agree 8455 is a great set.

there's even a lego document released that helps correct some errors that might have been caused by building it, and lego themselves say in that document that the set is very technical.

Can you share more details here? Which document you are talking about?