Sign in to follow this  
DasMatze

4-4-0 PF Steam Locomotive

After my WDW Roger E Broggie which is impossible to build, I decided to create another steam locomotive from scratch - one that is powered and you can actually build:

14368416274_020f1019d6_b.jpg

14182761480_740ecf62a7.jpg14365992341_5e53cc6745.jpg

Unlike other MOCs with big wheels, this one does not use a technic motor to bring it into motion. A regular PF train motor is used here (built using bricks). As can be seen, the reciever is inside the cab and battery box (also built using bricks) is hidden beneath a lid in the tender. It's on Rebrickable.com: http://rebrickable.com/mocs/DasMatze/4-4-0-pf-steam-locomotive

I might actually buy the parts and build this one. I already got 70% of the parts.

Edited by DasMatze

That's a cute steam engine. It reminds me of the old Thatcher Perkins. I'm not sure using the train motor is a good idea though. It's gonna make your train very fast...

What's the yellow bar running along the bottom of the boiler? Is it meant to be a pipe, or handrail? If the latter I'd suggest making it so it's near the top rather than the bottom of the boiler. Otherwise that looks really nice.

All that bothers me is that it has buffers. Though it is nice, and with the pf motor, it will be fast. My General had it and it was fast and hard to control.

I didn't think the speed was such a big problem. Thanks for clearing that up.

All that bothers me is that it has buffers

Didn't tenders have buffers back then? I'm not a railroad expert. At least you can easily remove them.

What's the yellow bar running along the bottom of the boiler? Is it meant to be a pipe, or handrail? If the latter I'd suggest making it so it's near the top rather than the bottom of the boiler. Otherwise that looks really nice.

It looks like it could be the water injector line to the check valve.

I didn't think the speed was such a big problem. Thanks for clearing that up.

Didn't tenders have buffers back then? I'm not a railroad expert. At least you can easily remove them.

Nope. None. Even before America adopted the knuckle coupler, all the inter car forces were through the drawbar.

Looking good, like your previous version it has some nice detailing. One small suggestion, perhaps replace the 3x4 plates that is serving as the hatch in the cab roof with tiles to get rid of those studs.