Sign in to follow this  
ScotNick

PF Motor with BBB XL Wheels

Hi,

I am currently working on a 4-4-2 steam engine and need some help. The base looks like this:

img_2701.jpg

I know that I can fit a 88002 PF Motor here, but the engine would run muuch too fast and wouldn't have much hauling power, so I wondered what I would have to do to get it to the same speed as the other PF trains, if possible.

Is there a possibility, and how would I have to do that???

Could you fit an XL motor and gearing in the locomotive? I dont see any way to decrease the speed of the PF bogie in the way you want.

There is no good way to change the gearing on a PF motor, and I have been unsatisfied in the past with the pulling power of the PF motor with Large drivers. I imagine you'd run out of power even faster with XL drivers, so I wouldn't recommend this approach if you're wanting to pull anything substantial. Not know what you're building, I will suggest the possibility of instead using the train motor for your lead truck or putting it in the tender, or if you're storing the batteries and receiver in the tender anyways, try using a geared-down M-Motor for your drivers. It will take a little more work, but I can say with reasonable certainty the resulting locomotive will preform much more satisfactorily.

i personally would have the wagons/coaches push the loco. I did this with my flying Scotsman and it works well, as long as you remove all O rings off all the wheels on the loco.

My experience even with geared medium and XL motors is that it is just easier and more satisfactory to have proper train motors in the tender pushing the engine. I know others have had great results with multiple M motors but for me I have nothing quite that big so cannot say.