Falconer

LOTR Army-building

Sorry to dig this up but I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to increase a mrdor orc army?

I resolved that I bought multiple times Orc Forge and warg Attack and rest of bricks and figures I sold.

Some mordor orc i buy in BL for good price 5-6usd.

I would like to built MOC battle on pellenor fields, so I need more and more:-)

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=519442

Very interesting topic , I got 10 uruk-hai minifigs and I don't have any weapon for them I am afraid. The pike and crossbow looks great (got only one I am afraid) but I thinks the Hawkeye's bow can be used as Lurtz's bow too , what are you lads think ?

What other weapons do you think will work for my unarmed army ? :)

I resolved that I bought multiple times Orc Forge and warg Attack and rest of bricks and figures I sold.

Some mordor orc i buy in BL for good price 5-6usd.

I would like to built MOC battle on pellenor fields, so I need more and more:-)

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=519442

Nice Mordor Orc army. I have seen a lot of people with huge Uruk-hai armies, but not much in the way of Mordor Orcs until now. I myself plan on getting around 30 from the current assortment and then keep building from future sets till I have 150-200. I am pretty much set with my Uruk-hai army which is 110 strong. I also would like to build up a small-ish Moria Orc army. I will probably just use the "goblins" from the Goblin King Battle set as Morodor Orcs since they look so similar...

I made some more apropiate spears , Ihope you like it

http://www.flickr.co...N06/8343629834/

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Nice! I like them, too bad they aren't just a teensy bit longer...

Nice Mordor Orc army. I have seen a lot of people with huge Uruk-hai armies, but not much in the way of Mordor Orcs until now. I myself plan on getting around 30 from the current assortment and then keep building from future sets till I have 150-200. I am pretty much set with my Uruk-hai army which is 110 strong. I also would like to build up a small-ish Moria Orc army. I will probably just use the "goblins" from the Goblin King Battle set as Morodor Orcs since they look so similar...

who has the biggest uruk-hai army you've seen? and where can i see it?

This would be how I'd make an improved uruk pike. Prefferably the connector pin would be the 1,5 one with a stud on it, but that doesen't exist in black.

63965.gif2780.gif4497.jpg6du07p.png

How come noones putting the gobin bald-eared head caps on their orcs? it looks brilliant!

_____

If you are collecting orcs to build a pelennor fields battle you really should wait for the new armored orcs, the "mordor orcs" lego has provided are the worker orcs from isengard.

http://fotogalerie.herr-der-ringe-film.de/data/4060/15681gothmog1.jpg

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121127120507/lotr/images/4/4b/Crew_of_Guritz.png

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/557594_435709059798748_945825191_n.jpg

All armored. Im guessing the orcs we got so far works great as filler orcs though.

Edited by deskp

Does anyone remember what the Orc Forge was originally retailing for? I eyeballed it briefly up on Amazon but I'm pretty sure it wasn't selling for $60+ when it was in the stores.

Orc Forge was $39.99. I bought my copy at the lego store for $25 with a damaged box.

This would be how I'd make an improved uruk pike. Prefferably the connector pin would be the 1,5 one with a stud on it, but that doesen't exist in black.

I tried this and it seems there's not enough grip with normal-length connector pin, either the stick or the spear is very close to loose. 1,5 pin works well, but as you said it's an eyesore.

It'll be interesting to if the LotR sets stay in production if army building gets bigegr and bigger. I'd hate ot see it end prematurely

For my pikes, I use the longer stick with the knob, put on a black telescope so the fat end is up, and then put in a black spear. Hope that was helpful!

I tried this and it seems there's not enough grip with normal-length connector pin, either the stick or the spear is very close to loose. 1,5 pin works well, but as you said it's an eyesore.

I was also disaffected with the halberds. I think, this is the easiest solution for Uruk-Hai pikemen:

pikemen.jpg

This works very good. Piece on bricklink

Edited by Jacob Nion

who has the biggest uruk-hai army you've seen? and where can i see it?

Some guy was building a huge Helm's Deep MOC and had around 150 Uruk-hai. He supposedly was a Lego Store employee or used to work there or something, but at any rate he claimed he got like 20-50 of the Uruk-hai cheap. They were the display ones with flesh hands and such. The rest he bought with some employee discount. Details were kind of sketchy.

I am sure there are people out there with a LOT more Uruk-hai than that. People in the U.K. could of gotten them for around $1 during the Sun promotion. If I had that opportunity I would of gotten around 200+, lol :laugh:

The thing that kills army building for Uruk Hai is the cost of "white hand" helmets and shields, or the minifig (as listed on bricklink) from Orc Forge. Its far easier to buy multiples of Uruk Hai army or buy individual Uruks (Hair, helmet w/no armor, helmet and armor) at the cost of variety.

I kind of feel like once you get to a certain point, adding a few more minifigs doesn't make much difference. I have about 90 Uruks and while I wouldn't complain about having more, I'm not actively trying to get them. Any MOC that I would want to make that needs 100, can do just fine with 90. My current goal is to get a combined 100 minifigs between all of the orc and goblin variations. At the current distribution levels, it just seems impractical to try to get a large quantity of any one type.

I have roughly 40 Uruks, and with my recent keychain purchases, my Orc army is close to 35-40 as well. What I'm upset about is the lack of Wargs. I only have the White Warg and the grey one (only bought Warg Attack once). I would search for relatively cheap ways of getting more grey ones, but I feel like, if LEGO decides to make a Warg set from The Two Towers, the Wargs will likely be brown, which would overall look much better.

I also find it kinda funny. I have a decent sized army of Evil, all grunts pretty much, yet my Good forces are almost exclusively made up of heroes. Other than the small Rohirrim force I've collected due to multiple Uruk Army purchases, my Forces of Good are either Elves with names, the Fellowship, or Thorin and Co. It would be nice to receive a set similar to Uruk Army, but it has more good guys than bad. It would help balance out a lot of people's armies.

^ Nice avatar. :)

I won't be army building as my LOTR sets are all for my collection rather than MOCs.

But hey, maybe I'll bricklink enough parts/figs to start doing LOTR mocs. I am currently working on a castle MOC featuring the forestmen/bandits, so I'm looking for cheap ways to build up a bunch of them... They're kind of expensive any more.

Edited by el_cortman

I have roughly 40 Uruks, and with my recent keychain purchases, my Orc army is close to 35-40 as well. What I'm upset about is the lack of Wargs. I only have the White Warg and the grey one (only bought Warg Attack once). I would search for relatively cheap ways of getting more grey ones, but I feel like, if LEGO decides to make a Warg set from The Two Towers, the Wargs will likely be brown, which would overall look much better.

I agree, and that is why I am a little hesitant to purchase more. I don't think they will do any more Uruk-hai sets so I got an even 100 of those, plus 10 more White Hand armored ones so 110 total. I am pretty much done with my Uruk-hai force as I see no reason to get any more and I don't think more will be released in any future sets. With the Moria Orcs though, it seems they will be included in a LOT of sets and I am sure we will get tons of Goblins as well with the Hobbit theme (and the Battle of the Five Armies which all have goblins that work as Mordor Orcs). Because of this I am currently only at 30 Mordor Orcs (10 Orc hunter, 10 "actual" Mordor Orcs, and 10 Goblin King goblins, plus 20 Moria Orcs). I want to have enough that I can field a decent army, but also leave room for the inevitable future sets (and hopefully a Uruk-hai Army like set featuring Gondor Soldiers and Mordor Orcs which I am banking on happening). If no sets are eve released I will prolly go back and try to pick some up from older sets but won't be too bummed if I am left with what I currently have. Ideally I would like to have around 150 when all said and done though.

I also find it kinda funny. I have a decent sized army of Evil, all grunts pretty much, yet my Good forces are almost exclusively made up of heroes. Other than the small Rohirrim force I've collected due to multiple Uruk Army purchases, my Forces of Good are either Elves with names, the Fellowship, or Thorin and Co. It would be nice to receive a set similar to Uruk Army, but it has more good guys than bad. It would help balance out a lot of people's armies.

I have 22 Mirkwood Elves, 30 Rohan Soldiers, and 20 Eomer's that are make shift Rohan Soldiers. I am fine with there being a lot less good guys than bad since that is how it is in the movies anyways. In the book I believe Helm's Deep was 2000-3000 total Rohan vs 10,000 Uruk-hai so if you scale that down that's like 20-30 Rohan vs 100 Uruks! The only thing I want now is some Gondor Soldiers, which I would love to get around 40-50 of as well.

I'm up to about 70ish, in 4 variations. I only have 1 Orc Forge set for white hand gear so there are only a few using that. The white hand gear is just too expensive to get ahold of en masse.