wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Are you upset because you miss your own kind? Quit "trolling" this thread with your complaints about trolls... :wacko:

Not trolling, I'm posting my damn opinion until someone quits replying. I just want to leave my opinion without a thousand of YOU trolls shooting it down.

Don't even reply to me please.

Having one troll mold with three different face printings would not have been Too difficult for Lego to handle. They even could have used the cave troll in a different color. Think of the money they saved with reusing the old mordor ocs and just adding thongs to them.

Goes a bit off topic, but Bard is played by Luke Evans and a picture has even been released of him in costume chatting with Legolas. That's from the third film.

That's going to be awesome!

Not trolling, I'm posting my damn opinion until someone quits replying. I just want to leave my opinion without a thousand of YOU trolls shooting it down.

I understand it can be bothersome when one's opinion is targeted by many, but these boards are meant for conversation and we all have opinions, often differing. If you don't want anyone to comment on your opinions, don't post them.

When it comes to the troll scene, I too think it's rather ill-fitting for a Lego set. Three Moria cave trolls with different face prints would be rather dull, and newly molded individual trolls would drive up the price but not the brick count. There's not much to build in that scene, and that's already one of the more valid criticisms against Lego LotR/Hobbit line as a whole, that the minifigs are the main draw and builds themselves sometimes more like afterthoughts (though that certainly doesn't apply to all the sets).

Would anybody be able to give me some measurements (in inches, preferably) of the height of the tallest point, and the footprint of the following sets; Helm's Deep, An Unexpected Gathering, Goblin King Battle, Warg Attack, and Barrel Escape? I'm building shelves, and I only have Uruk-hai Army and Gandalf Arrives so far, but I want to have all the Middle-earth sets to be able to fit on it. :wink: Thanks in advance!

Helms deep is 10.5 inches to the tower with the horn on it. I have the other ones but unfortunately i was waiting until christmas to put them all together (kind of a tradition) so i cant get the measurements off those. I wouldnt think that any of the other sets you mentioned would be taller than 13 inches but im not sure how tall the tree in warg attack actually is. I made my shelves adjustable so i can shift my themes around between my room and basement. Its funny you made this post though because i was just clearing out some space on my shelves in my room so that i could make room for the new hobbit sets when i get to put them together. Ive studied the sets online so much and the boxes that i feel like i have already built them a hundred times lol Its sort of an obcession and now i cant wait for any news from the 2013 sets. LOTR and The Hobbit has been my favorite licensed them so far and i cant wait to get into some more iconic sets from the story.

Would anybody be able to give me some measurements (in inches, preferably) of the height of the tallest point, and the footprint of the following sets; Helm's Deep, An Unexpected Gathering, Goblin King Battle, Warg Attack, and Barrel Escape? I'm building shelves, and I only have Uruk-hai Army and Gandalf Arrives so far, but I want to have all the Middle-earth sets to be able to fit on it. :wink: Thanks in advance!

Helm's Deep is a hair over 11"

Goblin King is 9"

Attack of the Worg's is 9" maybe a hair more if you stand a fig on top. (Call it 11" for margin of error)

Not sure on the other two as I haven't built them yet.

Not sure if this is a big spoiler but,

It strikes me that we should have gotten the 'Pale Orc' in the wargs set instead of Yazneg who didn't appear in that scene.

Great movie, by the way.

Not sure if this is a big spoiler but,

It strikes me that we should have gotten the 'Pale Orc' in the wargs set instead of Yazneg who didn't appear in that scene.

Great movie, by the way.

It's already been discussed to death - Lego got prelim info/pics of the Hobbit and couldn't change things after production already began. This is nothing new.

Hawkman - Leave the moderating to the moderators. There are going to be repetitive posts and people who may have missed early posts, but this is a friendly forum and this is not a big deal.

Durins Bane - If you're going to make very strong comments about sets, you have to be prepared to have a civil discussion about it. This is a discussion thread, and if you don't want to continue a conversation with someone, you have the option of not responding to them, but they have every right to post their opinion, just as you have.

Hawkman - Leave the moderating to the moderators. There are going to be repetitive posts and people who may have missed early posts, but this is a friendly forum and this is not a big deal.

I don't see how calling someone on repeatitive and overly negative posts is "moderating". If a person is trolling just for the point of being negative, then that's not friendly.

I don't see how calling someone on repeatitive and overly negative posts is "moderating". If a person is trolling just for the point of being negative, then that's not friendly.

Yes, but we are the ones who enforce it not you, just report the posts in future and we would be happy to look into it.

Hawkman and Durin's Bane you both need to cool down. As rogue has already mentioned people's opinions will differ on the Internet, if you can't handle someone's comments then a forum isn't the place to post your own opinions. I am willing to let it slide at he moment if you can both get back to constructive posting, like I see you both attempting in the majority of your posts. If either of you wish to discuss it further you can of course pm me. If people think a member is being disrespectful or trolling, I encourage them to report the post so we can intervene before arguments breakout.

Cheers

ISC.

Here's a rather funny video with Sir Ian McKellen playing with his Lego alter-ego Gandalf for the promotion of the videogame:

That's a great little video. I wonder if he prefers his Gandalf or his Magneto incarnation in tiny minifigure form. I wonder what it's like to have that kind of dilemma! It'll get worse when Gandalf the White is released.

Ha ha! Nice video! He should have had a battle between minifig Mangeto and minifig Gandalf. :tongue:

That's a great little video. I wonder if he prefers his Gandalf or his Magneto incarnation in tiny minifigure form. I wonder what it's like to have that kind of dilemma! It'll get worse when Gandalf the White is released.

Technically the Magneto minifig isn't based on McKellen's likeness, since it's not based on the films. He sure seems to appreciate his Gandalf minifig, though!

Helms deep is 10.5 inches to the tower with the horn on it. I have the other ones but unfortunately i was waiting until christmas to put them all together (kind of a tradition) so i cant get the measurements off those. I wouldnt think that any of the other sets you mentioned would be taller than 13 inches but im not sure how tall the tree in warg attack actually is. I made my shelves adjustable so i can shift my themes around between my room and basement. Its funny you made this post though because i was just clearing out some space on my shelves in my room so that i could make room for the new hobbit sets when i get to put them together. Ive studied the sets online so much and the boxes that i feel like i have already built them a hundred times lol Its sort of an obcession and now i cant wait for any news from the 2013 sets. LOTR and The Hobbit has been my favorite licensed them so far and i cant wait to get into some more iconic sets from the story.

Thank you very much! I assumed it wouldn't be any bigger than one foot, and now I can see it's not! I'm only really worried about future possible sets, like Orthanc, Barad-Dur, and maybe Minas Tirith not fitting, but I think a little more than one foot will be enough. :wink: Adjustable shelves is a good idea, I'll have to think on that! Thanks!

Helm's Deep is a hair over 11"

Goblin King is 9"

Attack of the Worg's is 9" maybe a hair more if you stand a fig on top. (Call it 11" for margin of error)

Not sure on the other two as I haven't built them yet.

Thank you! :classic:

Technically the Magneto minifig isn't based on McKellen's likeness, since it's not based on the films. He sure seems to appreciate his Gandalf minifig, though!

That and Ian has always said he prefers Gandalf over Magneto in interviews.

Did anybody think that they would find a way to make a better staff for gandalf or is that kind of being picky? I ve been trying to come up with a way to make the top of it look like the twisted roots but i havent yet. Are there any other lego themes where characters have a customized stafff rather than just the simple one used for flags. On a similiar note are Tauriels daggers from the mirwood set new molds/colors or have they been in previous sets?

Edited by jhc2nmfn

Did anybody think that they would find a way to make a better staff for gandalf or is that kind of being picky? [...] On a similiar note are Tauriels daggers from the mirwood set new molds/colors or have they been in previous sets?

Many have found Gandalf's staff disappointing and opinioned that they should have used a unique mold. Personally I think it's quite fine as it is, a more exact reproduction would have made the piece look too detailed for Lego aesthetics (which, of course, are entirely subjective standards and defy definition). So that's just my opinion.

Tauriel's daggers are Daggers of Time from Prince of Persia theme.

Did anybody think that they would find a way to make a better staff for gandalf or is that kind of being picky? I ve been trying to come up with a way to make the top of it look like the twisted roots but i havent yet. Are there any other lego themes where characters have a customized stafff rather than just the simple one used for flags. On a similiar note are Tauriels daggers from the mirwood set new molds/colors or have they been in previous sets?

Here is a super easy and quick change I made. I think it gives Gandalf's staff a similar shape to the movie staff and looks more like it. Not exactly the same details but you at least get something a little more interesting:

DSCN1669.jpg

Edited by Deathleech

Well, Tauriel's daggers are just the Prince of Persia Daggers of Time. I've cut the cross guards off mine to give them more of an Elvish look.

As for staffs, I don't believe LEGO has ever done a special wizards staff mold. Usually they have just been sticks or made up of smaller bits, like the Castle Skeleton Wizard. For Gandalf, I've become quite happy with the basic stick LEGO gave him. While a bit boring, it keeps a classic LEGO feel that seems to be diminished with new molds. In the past, I've just put a reddish brown cylindrical cone at the top to make it look a bit better, with a clear stud at the top to represent the stone he has in LOTR.

As for staffs, I don't believe LEGO has ever done a special wizards staff mold.

Don't forget the ugly staff of the Dragon Knight Wizzard, and the Fright Knight Witch.... :grin:

I think it's nice we see a couple of new weapons in the Hobbit/LOTR line that were not in the last castle themes (correct me if I'm wrong): Short sword (Hobbits), Longsword (Eomer, Aragorn etc) and Elven bows (Elves obviously).

I hope they will create a cool mold for the Witch Kings weapon, although it would be easier for LEGO to use the small chain that Dori uses.

Don't forget the ugly staff of the Dragon Knight Wizzard, and the Fright Knight Witch.... :grin:

I think it's nice we see a couple of new weapons in the Hobbit/LOTR line that were not in the last castle themes (correct me if I'm wrong): Short sword (Hobbits), Longsword (Eomer, Aragorn etc) and Elven bows (Elves obviously).

I hope they will create a cool mold for the Witch Kings weapon, although it would be easier for LEGO to use the small chain that Dori uses.

For the Witch-King's flail, using the short chain would be fine, but they need to make a special mold for the actual flail head. I've tried before, and there is no way that you can make a decent Witch-King flail using current parts.

i wonder what they will do with sarumans, if i remember correctly its a white stafff with a black jewel at the top but i may be mistaken. For those that have seen the movie, are there any swords already released that are a closer fit to orcsist? The movie has it with only one side having the handguard part (i guess thats what they are called).

For the Witch-King's flail, using the short chain would be fine, but they need to make a special mold for the actual flail head. I've tried before, and there is no way that you can make a decent Witch-King flail using current parts.

Yes, and a head piece as well. So since they have two unique molds, why not create a whole new weapon? :grin: Really looking forward to that minifig, no matter how they create it. But I guess this belongs in the 2013 topic.