Sign in to follow this  
Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #28: The Breakthrough

En Sabah Nur finally saw the trouble his spells had caused to the team. Their visibility was obstructed by the flying debris and the dust wasn't doing any good for the lungs either. He often lost sight of his teammates in combat when focused on a target but he sought to change this. He would remember to try harder to keep the entire battle field in his mind at all times in future encounters. Nur drew his dagger and attacked from the front row.

Results of Round Ten of the Battle with the Bear:

>Bartholomew Docken vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Aura

Lord Lawrence Boomingham vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Special Damage transfered to Bartholomew (Maw of the Beast)

En Sabah Nur vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Hit Mirror Damage

En Sabah Nur vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Hit Magnetic Mojo

Haldor Skovgaard vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Meditate

Jess Islanti vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Critical Hit (No Assassination)

The battle rages on as Docken continues to hold himself in a defensible position. As Boomingham is about to be swallowed by the beast, Docken heroically pushes him out of the way and is swallowed for the second time. Thankfully due to his strategic positioning within the rug he is able to endure the blows of his companions as Nur comes in quick with his dagger scoring a solid hit and rending a tear in the beasts neck from which pours a small stream of Gold briefly stunning the enchanted rug. Haldor preparing himself for his next round of attacks focuses his mind meditating as he regains 1 ether. Jess sinks her blade once again into the beast's hide seeking desperately to bring the battle to a close.

THE BATTLE CONTINUES!

The Enemy:

6939701416_0d1c5d0e60_m.jpg

Enchanted Bear Skin Rug
Stunned

Type:
Beast

Level:

Health:
265/1250

Defense:

Special:

I. Maw of the Beast- The enchanted rug actually swallows its attacker. The Party member will remain there until the rug is defeated or another party member pulls them free, sacrificing both of their own turns to do so. Up to 3 members can be swallowed at a time. Swallowed players may not attack/heal while swallowed. However, swallowed players will take half the damage received by the rug while they are Swallowed (i.e. rug takes 30 damage, swallowed player(s) will take 15 damage).

II. Rage of the Beast - The enchanted rug does 15 damage to its attacker regardless of row and imparts the
Afraid
effect to its attacker.

*Special will alternate one after another.

Drop:
Bear Claw Gloves, 35 Gold

*Note that as an enchanted enemy, scrolls have a 1/4 chance of working upon it.

The Party:

ava-bartholomew_warden.png

Bartholomew Docken
, Level 20.33 Warden (Brick Doctor) *Party Leader* *
Scary
Afraid
Swallowed

Power: 29

Health: 76/39

Defense: 15

Gold: 16 (50 Gold loaned to Arthur Justus Regulus VII [Flipz])

Inventory: Briar Bow (WP: 9; Wood Elemental), Mockthril Longbow (WP: 5), Mythril Shield (SP: 15), Dread Hat (enemies lower than half of wearer's Level won't attack directly), Bedroll, Mead, Venom, Smoke Bomb, Potions (5)

shaman_haldor.jpg

Haldor Skovgaard
, Level 16.5 Shaman (Scorpiox)

Power: 29,

Health: 33/33

Ether: 20/24

Gold: 124

Inventory: Heavy Metal Rod (WP:12), Lesser Ethereal Cloak (SP:+1, +3 Ether), Paper Doll (Hexed immunity)

Spike Coller (+1 power), Diamond of Thoric (Light Elemental), Frying Pan (WP:1+1 health), Shovel, Pickaxe, Potion (x2), Remedy, Tonic, Mead, Venom, and a fur-lined Bedroll, Scroll of Blindness

6042579809_6e41d8c052_t.jpg

Jess Islanti
, Level 16.5 Assassin (Sisco)

Power: 26 (+2)

Health: 27/27(+1)

Gold: 236

Inventory: Blohdhurm (WP: 9)(Fire elemental), Mercutio's Dagger of Mugging (WP:5, Mug Ability +5), 2 Venoms, Mead, Smelling Salts, 2 Remedies

IMG_1583-1.jpg

Lord Lawrence Boomingham
, Level 15.5 Paladin (Zepher)

Power: 27 (+3)

Health: 29/29 (-6)

Ether: 16/16

Gold: 3

Inventory: King of the Desert (Longsword) (WP: 9, Fire Darkness), Frozen Saber (WP: 9, stunned effect, Light) Shaduex Shield (SP: 5), Thorny Diadem (+3 to power, but -6 to maximum health) 3 Potions, 1 Grand Potion, Bedroll, 5 Bones, 2 Holy bombs, 2 Meads, 1 Nostrum, 1 Phoenix essence, Pick-axe, 1 Jo-no Tree seed

esn_q10_00.jpg

En Sabah Nur, Level 15.5 Sorcerer (Jebediahs) *
Lucky

Power: 27

Health: 24/24 (23+1)

Ether: 10/20

Gold: 115

Equipped:

Inventory: Stealth Dagger (WP: 12), Helmet (+1 HP), Loaded Die (
Lucky
effect),Garnet Gem (Earth), Aquamarine (Water), En, Sabah, Nur (Shurikens 3/3, WP: 5), 4 Potions, Grand Tonic, 2 Phoenix Essence, Remedy, Smoke Bomb, Bedroll, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Confusion, Sangriste Dagger (WP: 5)

Party Leader, choose the order of action.

All of you, choose your targets and the row you want to fight in. Also mention if you want to try to flee, heal or cast a magic spell, or if you want to use an item instead of attacking.

Any enemy not targeted will get a Free Hit on the party after everyone have acted.

Edited by Waterbrick Down

I cry out from within the beast, hoping that my fellow heroes can hear me.

"I'll take the hits! Don't bother pulling me out!"

Order of Actions:

1. Lord Lawrence Boomingham
  2. En Sabah Nur
  3. Jess Islanti
  4. Haldor Skovgaard

Boomingham and Barty share a rare moment of admiration for the same person.

"Your wish is my command!" hollers Boomingham, praying that his commander had as much strength as he seemed to think he had. Boomingham wailed on the beast from the front row once more.

"You're a brave soul, Bart!" Jess hollers as she once again leaps on the rug.

Same Actions

"I will not forget your courage, friend. Hopefully we have this thing down before too long. Jess! Good to see you up and running again." Haldor climbs up on a bannister and leaps down, elbow outstreched, onto the rug. You know, like they do in WWE.

Results of Round Eleven of the Battle with the Bear:

Lord Lawrence Boomingham vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Hit

En Sabah Nur vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Mirror Damage Magnetic Mojo

En Sabah Nur vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Mirror Damage Special Damage (Roar of the Beast) (Enemy is Stunned)

Jess Islanti vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Gold Reaper (No Assassination)

Haldor Skovgaard vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Damage (Enemy is Stunned)

Boomingham leads the rest of the party in a charge, wailing blow upon blow with the King of the Desert ono the rug while Nur and Jess both rend holes in the beasts hide exposing more gold for each of them. Nur casts another earthquake keeping the bear in its semi-conscious state while Haldor for lack of a banister, prepares to jump off the desk, but is unable to retain his footing and rolls to safety before hurting himself. Docken remains trapped within the rug, but still cheers his team mates on as he does his best to avoid their blows.

THE BATTLE CONTINUES!

The Enemy:

Enchanted Bear Skin Rug
Stunned

Type:
Beast

Level:

Health:
213/1250

Defense:

Special:

I. Maw of the Beast- The enchanted rug actually swallows its attacker. The Party member will remain there until the rug is defeated or another party member pulls them free, sacrificing both of their own turns to do so. Up to 3 members can be swallowed at a time. Swallowed players may not attack/heal while swallowed. However, swallowed players will take half the damage received by the rug while they are Swallowed (i.e. rug takes 30 damage, swallowed player(s) will take 15 damage).

II. Rage of the Beast - The enchanted rug does 15 damage to its attacker regardless of row and imparts the
Afraid
effect to its attacker.

Drop:

The Party:

Bartholomew Docken
Scary
Afraid
Swallowed

Health: 39/39

Inventory: Briar Bow (WP: 9; Wood Elemental), Mockthril Longbow (WP: 5), Mythril Shield (SP: 15), Dread Hat (enemies lower than half of wearer's Level won't attack directly), Bedroll, Mead, Venom, Smoke Bomb, Potions (5)

shaman_haldor.jpg

Haldor Skovgaard

Inventory: Heavy Metal Rod (WP:12), Lesser Ethereal Cloak (SP:+1, +3 Ether), Paper Doll (Hexed immunity)

Spike Coller (+1 power), Diamond of Thoric (Light Elemental), Frying Pan (WP:1+1 health), Shovel, Pickaxe, Potion (x2), Remedy, Tonic, Mead, Venom, and a fur-lined Bedroll, Scroll of Blindness

Jess Islanti

Gold: 256

Inventory: Blohdhurm (WP: 9)(Fire elemental), Mercutio's Dagger of Mugging (WP:5, Mug Ability +5), 2 Venoms, Mead, Smelling Salts, 2 Remedies

IMG_1583-1.jpg

Lord Lawrence Boomingham

Inventory: King of the Desert (Longsword) (WP: 9, Fire Darkness), Frozen Saber (WP: 9, stunned effect, Light) Shaduex Shield (SP: 5), Thorny Diadem (+3 to power, but -6 to maximum health) 3 Potions, 1 Grand Potion, Bedroll, 5 Bones, 2 Holy bombs, 2 Meads, 1 Nostrum, 1 Phoenix essence, Pick-axe, 1 Jo-no Tree seed

esn_q10_00.jpg

Lucky

Ether: 10/20

Gold: 135

Equipped:

Lucky
effect),Garnet Gem (Earth), Aquamarine (Water), En, Sabah, Nur (Shurikens 3/3, WP: 5), 4 Potions, Grand Tonic, 2 Phoenix Essence, Remedy, Smoke Bomb, Bedroll, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Confusion, Sangriste Dagger (WP: 5)

Party Leader, choose the order of action.

All of you, choose your targets and the row you want to fight in. Also mention if you want to try to flee, heal or cast a magic spell, or if you want to use an item instead of attacking.

Any enemy not targeted will get a Free Hit on the party after everyone have acted.

QM Note: Brick Doctor if you're fine with Docken remaining in the bear for the next round, I can auto-play it. Seeing as how you're back to normal health however, I thought I'd give you the option.

OoC: Yeah, at normal Health, I'd prefer not to take the chance. I'll post the order once I know which player's pulling me out.

Seeing the bear still going fairly strong, I struggle into a position from which my teammates can hear me.

"That didn't go as well as I'd hoped. You'd best pull me out this Round, lest I take your blows without the benefit of Aura."

Nur rushes to pull his party leader free then covers their retreat by attacking the rug with his dagger from the front row.

Boomingham nods as Nur pulls Docken free. He cuts in close behind Nur as he backs up and swings his sword wildly at the creature's still open mouth.

Same row, same attack.

Order of Actions:

1. En Sabah Nur
  2. Bartholomew Docken
  3. Lord Lawrence Boomingham
  4. En Sabah Nur
  5. Jess Islanti
  6. Haldor Skovgaard

"D'oh! It looked so realistic when they did it!Time to try something else, lest I just attack like any old person. How about this?" Haldor tries another move. This time, he leans back on the ropes walls, waving his fist about for the fans, he then rushes forward and jumps into a sort of slide tackle kick thing on the rug's head. They called it a 'Corkscrew Axekick' at WWE, well, Haldor wants to do one of those.

Edited by Scorpiox

Results of Round Twelve of the Battle with the Bear:

En Sabah Nur Frees Docken from the Enchanted Bear Skin Rug

Bartholomew Docken Freed by En Sabah Nur from the Enchanted Bear Skin Rug

Lord Lawrence Boomingham vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Damage (Enemy is Stunned)

En Sabah Nur vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Confuse Special Damage (Roar of the Beast)

Jess Islanti vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Special Damage (Maw of the Beast) (Enemy is Stunned)

Haldor Skovgaard vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Extra Critical Hit

Nur quickly frees Docken yet again from the belly of the bear and drags him to the back of the Party's line. Boomingham and Jess both ready strikes with their fire imbued blads but are unable to find an opening in the rug's defenses. Nur remembering the problem with the dust, collects the moisture from the air, which is prevalent in the shop which lies across from the harbor, and condenses it in front of the bear's face creating an impenetrable confounding mist. Haldor takes off running in the opposite direction from the enemy and crashes through the unexpectedly flimsy wood paneling. Picking himself up he jumps through the hole with a cry of "Super Haldor :dumb: " and delivers a devastating kick to the rug reminiscent of a bottle opener and pole-arm.

THE BATTLE CONTINUES!

The Enemy:

Enchanted Bear Skin Rug
Confused

Type:
Beast

Level:

Health:
163/1250

Defense:

Special:

Afraid
effect to its attacker.

Drop:

The Party:

Bartholomew Docken
Scary
Afraid

shaman_haldor.jpg

Haldor Skovgaard

Jess Islanti

Gold: 256

IMG_1583-1.jpg

Lord Lawrence Boomingham

esn_q10_00.jpg

Lucky

Ether: 9/20

Gold: 135

Equipped:

Lucky

QM Note: As the party is nearly all at full health, and the bear is confused, and you all are probably growing tired of this fight, I will auto-play the next round with the battle order I'm sure to get from Brick Doctor. Let me know if you disagree with this.

Results of Round Thirteen of the Battle with the Bear:

Bartholomew Docken Freed vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Hit

Lord Lawrence Boomingham vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Hit

En Sabah Nur vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Confuse Special Damage (Maw of the Beast)

Sabah Nur vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Special Damage (Maw of the Beast) Magnetic Mojo

Jess Islanti vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Gold Reaper (Assinate)

Haldor Skovgaard vs. Enchanted Bear Skin Rug - Blood Ritual

Sick and tired of being swallowed multiple times and failing to find an opening in the beast's vital areas, Docken unleashes a merciless shot at the beast's nose while Boomingham slashes at where its gaping mouth hides within the surrounding mist. Nur continues to condense more vapor before deciding to literally drench the beast in a miniature downpour, which while doing so he collects a small pile of gold that spills forth from underneath the rug. Jess, Blohdhurm in hand sinks her blade into the beasts neck ending its existence as steam forms around the fiery sword and the gleam of gold is exposed twinkling in the blue light of the bioluminescent desklamp.

THE BATTLE IS VICTORIUS!

The Party:

Bartholomew Docken
, Level 20.67 Warden (Brick Doctor) *Party Leader* *
Scary

shaman_haldor.jpg

Haldor Skovgaard
, Level 17 Shaman (Scorpiox)

Health: 34/34

Jess Islanti
, Level 17 Assassin (Sisco)

Health: 28/28(+1)

Gold: 276

IMG_1583-1.jpg

Lord Lawrence Boomingham
, Level 16 Paladin (Zepher)

Health: 30/30 (-6)

esn_q10_00.jpg

En Sabah Nur, Level 16 Sorcerer (Jebediahs) *
Lucky

Power: 28

Health: 25/25 (23+1)

Ether: 9/20

Gold: 155

Equipped:

Lucky

Party Leader, how will the spoils of the battle be divided?

6924101442_f61a9d893d_m.jpg

Bear Claw Gloves:
(WP: 7, SP: 2; Suitable for Barbarians and their advanced classes, SP may not be upgraded) - Gloves made from the paws of a rather large planes bear, its claws are perpetually sharp and are suited for close up encounters.

heroica-gold.jpg

35 Gold

The bear has stopped moving and the faint calls for help can once again be heard from inside the rug. What shall the Party do?

"Ha harr! We have dominated the furniture at last! That was a very expert shot Jess, I guess that was his 'special spot'. Would anyone be horribly affronted if I were to take the claws? I was really in wanting of a back-up weapon so I can imbue my Heavy Rod. Haldor hears a muffled cry.Ah, I think it is time that we got Mister Bluehood out of there. "Haldor runs back, then dives through the bear's mouth into it's stomach. There is a cry of 'Ow!' as Haldor collides with something. After a few minutes of rummaging, The Nord returns, or rather crawls, with the shop-owner on his broad shoulders.

Haldor stood to his feet as the older man slumped against his desk, bruises on his hands and face.

6894110484_080cf2fceb.jpg

6894110392_d9327d08af_m.jpg

"You have my thanks young man, I thought I was going to rot to death in there. I had just finished a meeting with a valued customer and well, tis the last time I forget to feed Cristoph... but where are my manners." The elderly man bowed to the heroes, "Balthazar Bluehood, hydromancer consultant at your service. Say weren't you at the expo earlier today? Dreadful bit of business that was..."

"Yes, we were there. We couldn't prevent the explosion, and now poor Szalinski is badly injured. We believe that a malfunction was created in the machine... deliberatly. We think that someone had cause to want to hurt him and thus rigged the contraption to go boom. Sorry, but we have to pursue all lines of inquiry, your name was on the list. Would you know anything about how to cause a malfunction in such a machine? Have you been having any arguments with Mister Szlanski over anything lately?"

"Is Szalinski going to be okay? Do you mean sabotage? But who... Yes I can answer any question you wish. Arguments? Never! Szalinski and I were what made the machine possible. I came up with the theory of the transmogrification process and he made it into a reality. As far as malfunctions, it was a very delicate instrument, there could have been at least several dozen reasons that it went off like that."

OoC: Go ahead and continue with any questions you have, it's 3am here so I'll update later on today.

Boomingham shakes his head and sags into a corner, sitting on the ground, wiping his sword on his pants. The rug didn't bleed, but the sword is scuffed up. "Mages... they're insane. All of them. Dangerous..." Boomingham spits.

"Tell us about the other investors. What do you know about them?" he bellows at the older man.

Nice moves, Haldor. "The space where Szalinski set up his machines for presentation, what is it normally used for?"

I breathe a sigh of relief as I watch Haldor emerge with Master Bluehood seemingly unharmed.

"Master Bluehood, could you possible explain the process and what made it possible? You say that there are several dozen reasons that it could've malfunctioned. Could you explain some of those? Were there any parts that might have been weak spots or which you weren't completely confident in before the demonstration? And how easy would it have been to sabotage the machine?"

Can I have the claws then Doc?

Haldor noticed the impolite manner in which his friends addressed the man. "Easy fellows, be kind to the man. Mister, do know of any love lost between Mister Szalinski and the other investors?"

OoC: It's been too long since I've been Party Leader. Totally forgot about the loot. :laugh:

I hand the Bear Claws to Haldor, 8 Gold to Nur, 9 Gold to Jess, 9 Gold to Lawrence, and keep 9 Gold for myself.

"Tell us about the other investors. What do you know about them?" he bellows at the older man.

"Reginald Swisshopper is an entrepreneur he started up one of the most successful garment making shops in all of Eubric Freeport. Given his success, he has quite a bit of capital and as I have directed some of my own clientèle to his business before he was willing to raise up some support for Szalinski and my venture in hopes that his investment might prove good. There are two scientists from Carthago that aided us in the development of the technology, I believe they said they were staying at some inn. Sem's Sensible Investments gave us a loan that covered more than a third of our expenses. Oh and there's that Gurnam chap, not particularly a nice individual, but sharklings rarely are, Szalinski and I don't know where he gets the funding but he has supported over a 1/4 or our cause."

Nice moves, Haldor. "The space where Szalinski set up his machines for presentation, what is it normally used for?"

"The Eubric Common House is a general meeting hall, almost anyone can rent out the space and it is populated by everything from confrences to round-table discussions to traveling jesters."

I breathe a sigh of relief as I watch Haldor emerge with Master Bluehood seemingly unharmed.

"Master Bluehood, could you possible explain the process and what made it possible? You say that there are several dozen reasons that it could've malfunctioned. Could you explain some of those? Were there any parts that might have been weak spots or which you weren't completely confident in before the demonstration? And how easy would it have been to sabotage the machine?"

"Well the machine as you may have been informed runs off of alchemical batteries which by their very nature are unstable and thus require specific tuning of their frequency output when utilized if their spacial parameters are slightly off level the frequency generated may undergo deconstructive interference causing static in the transmission lines leading to power surges. The alchemical batteries supply the static transmogrifiers by which the power is transmuted to a scanning beam of tiny particles which interact with the supplied test specimen that after transform the specimen into an intermediate transubtle state by which the conducer generator can alter the outgoing frequency of particle in tune with the desired "magical" properties of the materials structure. All of the transmission steps must occur in an airless system to prevent contamination of the signal. A single leak in the lines can lead to corruption of the signal leading to transmogrification in situ during which extraordinary quantities of heat may be generated. These are but a few of the delicacies of the instrument, in all it would be fairly easy to sabotage as it was built for simply demonstration purposes and not for commercial viability at the moment. I'd compare it to a magic user, powerful on the inside but processing a frailty on the outside."

Haldor looked baffled by the constant stream of technical vocabulary from the older man."Um, ok. Yeah, so anyone with the knowledge, oppertunity and motive could have done it?"