Sign in to follow this  
Bob

Which Clone Wars was better?

So far, there have been two Clone Wars series. The newer one is more advertized, but the one that started the entire "Clone Wars craze", was this one.

Now today there is a new clone wars series, and I doubt that you need a link to that but, here.

Which one of these series do you like better? I didn't see any other topic about this, so I figured why not ask others what their favorite is.

I'd have to say the new one.

The CG is much better than standard animation, in my opinion, and also the stories are much better.

Although I liked the old one, the new one is much better.

The new one is by far better, and it gave Lego a good excuse to release some awesome new star wars sets! (Plus some new clone minifigs! :wub: )

I have to agree with Flatfoot Thompsen , the clonewars ruined starwars .Because of the clone wars series i've lost all intrest in starwars .

Good excuse for more SW lego sets though :classic:

They are both pretty good, but I think the first one was better. It connected Ep. II and Ep. III very nicely and had a good continuity, whereas the new one is simply a random collection of stories from somewhere in the middle of the clone wars. The first series was much more innovative in many ways than the new one. It had a very original style which the new show tries to copy by adapting it into 3D. Also, it introduced a lot of new characters (Durge, Grievous, Ventress, etc.) whereas the new show only took those characters from the first show and just keeps adding stories to them and only introduces a lame, new Neimodian General/Captain every now and then. And the only new good guys that the new series has produced (Ahsoka, Rota, the Lurmen, etc.) aren't half as popular with fans than any of the characters from the first cartoon were. The first series even had some new costume (Obi's half-clone-armor-half-jedi-robe outfit, ARC Troopers, SCUBA Trooper, etc.) and vehicle designs (Azure Angel, CR-20 troop carrier, Seismic tank, Fanblade starfighter, etc.) which are also simply being copied (if used at all) by the new show. And even though the new show has introduced some new vehicles and ships as well, most of them are nothing all that new and are only redesigns of already existing ships. As for storytelling, the first show had some very good character development, especially with Anakin, who went from good-hearted Padawan to angsty Jedi Knight. But the only character development I have seen in the new show is the individualization of the clones and Ahsoka learning a few lessons in becoming a responsible Jedi. The worst part is that the new show creates canon that often contradicts with the canon set by the first show and other EU, resulting in inaccuracy and confusion. The action of the first show is kind of debatable as it was over-the-top and could be considered unrealistic, whereas the new show has relatively realistic action. However, since they both are cartoons (which are never completely realistic!) and since over-the-top action is more fun than "realistic" action in my opinion, I find the old show more enjoyable.

Plus, the old show didn't have Jar Jar! :tongue:

In conclusion, Genndy Tartakovsky's SW: Clone Wars was much more innovative, had much more intense action, and much better character development. And considering that it achieved all that in a series that is only two hours long in total, I think that it's a true masterpiece and rather superior to the new The Clone Wars! :thumbup:

The new series is quite enjoyable nevertheless, though. :wink:

PS: Somebody should add a poll for this! :sweet:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

I was waiting for someone to say they liked the first one. I figured that everyone liked the new one, except me.

I don't like the new one, as it make the battledroids look like they couldn't defend their way out of a paperbag. I recently rewatched all of the movies, and in all of the Ep1-3 films the droids looked like they could do a pretty good job defending everything.

It childrenizes everything, Case In Point of the Battledroids here with this quote(Not the Actual Quote):

Battledroid Commander: Hey you! Fire there!

Battledroid: Yes Sir- wait uh, where?

Battledroid Commander: There, there fire!

Battledroid: Are you sure?

Battledroid Commander: Shut Up you! I'm in control here!

and another:

Captain Rex: Well, we outnumber you

Battledroid1: Really?

Battledroid2: Hmmm, let me count. 1-2- AHHH (Battledroid is destroyed)

Now those two similar quotes from the clones wars movie both prove my point. It is a bit nuts that they make the battledroids that well, stupid. In the first one, the battledroids were at least smart about firing the Seismic tank in the right spot.

I don't like the new one, as it make the battledroids look like they couldn't defend their way out of a paperbag. I recently rewatched all of the movies, and in all of the Ep1-3 films the droids looked like they could do a pretty good job defending everything.

Agreed! :sadnew: I can tolerate some silliness, but these BDs are just taking it too far. :hmpf: It takes the whole menace out of them.

What also really bothers me is that, the BDs in The Clone Wars don't act like droids at all. They express feelings, which is a very illogical thing for a robot to do. There are many examples for this. Sometimes, they express sorrow for their fellow BDs, and sometimes they express fear for their own life. I could accept the fact that these droids are so advanced that they developed emotions and personalities if it wouldn't make any sense for the CIS to produce such useless droids.

But in the old cartoon, they didn't say a word and were quite efficient. Of course, they were a bit stupid from time to time as well (for example, they ignored an explosive that landed in their midst and ended up being blown up), but that's OK because they are droids after all. So, while remaining the naivety of a droid, they were still an enemy that was hard to beat.

One more reason why Tartakovsky's cartoon was better. :thumbup:

I like the 3D aspect and good graphics of the new series, but the stories of the old series. The new stories are pretty bad.

Agreed! :sadnew: I can tolerate some silliness, but these BDs are just taking it too far. :hmpf: It takes the whole menace out of them.

What also really bothers me is that, the BDs in The Clone Wars don't act like droids at all. They express feelings, which is a very illogical thing for a robot to do. There are many examples for this. Sometimes, they express sorrow for their fellow BDs, and sometimes they express fear for their own life. I could accept the fact that these droids are so advanced that they developed emotions and personalities if it wouldn't make any sense for the CIS to produce such useless droids.

But in the old cartoon, they didn't say a word and were quite efficient. Of course, they were a bit stupid from time to time as well (for example, they ignored an explosive that landed in their midst and ended up being blown up), but that's OK because they are droids after all. So, while remaining the naivety of a droid, they were still an enemy that was hard to beat.

One more reason why Tartakovsky's cartoon was better. :thumbup:

I agree the battle droids are a bit stupid at times (most of the time), but there has to be some comedy element to keep kids entertained. The show is for them too, not just older fans. The new series, as the director admitted, is supposed to explore the nature of the clones much more. Making the battle droids stupid made the clones seem much more intelligent, which is why the Republic chose them over droids. I do agree the droids in the old series were better at their job, but I like the new droids' comedy.

Also, with reference to your statement about how droids shouldn't express feelings like that, do you say C-3PO and R2-D2 never showed feelings, because that is not true at all! :tongue:

The first one was action packed and awesome, but then new one has so much more of a real plot.

But you know, I really can't decide. I guess I'd say the new one but only because it has a Lego line to go with it. :tongue:

I have to agree with Flatfoot Thompsen , the clonewars ruined starwars .Because of the clone wars series i've lost all intrest in starwars .

Same for me. I still like the proper Star Wars films, but the Clone Wars should have stayed in comic book form, which is the best form for them. :thumbup:

:skull:

Even though the animation and design are not as good as it succesor is, the original 2D series had much better action, story, and villains. In the original series, the episodes were well edited and paced, while the battles were chaotic, and the clones actually moved and acted like real soldiers during the battle scenes. Each episode of the 2D series involves a large, important battle in the war, not just a bunch of small skirmishes like the new series mostly is. Anakins trials on Nelvaan during the second half of the series were also a good insight into Anakins personality, and the cruelty of war, not to mention some of :vader: . The actions that made Greivous seem like a monster in the eyes of the Republic's citizens, and the exploits of Anakin and Kenobi that made them seem like heroes inthe there eyes are also seen, and once the show is over, we have the same feeling that the citizens of the galaxy probably had hearing about this on the news, excuse me, holonet :wink: . Speaking about Grievous, he actually comes off as cold, powerful, and most of all, intelligent leader; not just an asthmatic cyborg who gets awesome battleships flown into moons, hangs up on his superiors, and spends his home-alone time swing around like a monkey. The CIS is actually shown winning a lot of battles (compared to the 3 victories new show), and being a real threat to the Republic, and battle droids are actually plausible soldiers, as all they do in the series is follow orders and kill (as any robot soldier should). The only problems i had with it was that the clones and there personalities weren't explored at all (as the new series tries to do), that there wasn't the blue and grey CIS color scheme, and that it was too short-lived.

With the new series, the reason it actually exists is enough to show what the show is like; the original was to show audiences the "doings" of Anakin and Obi-Wan between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith; while the new show seems to exist purely for Lucas and Hasbro to make money (TLC doesn't count as they are not evil). As for the show itself, while the animation is incredible, the actual character design seems wooden and odd to look at (poor Obi-Wan and his wooden beard). We are also subjected to Ahsoka's habit of forming nicknames for her inner circle. Also, the high quality of the animation limits the amount and length of action scenes in the show, most large battle scenes lasting no longer than a few minutes. The 3D series does have high points though, its depiction of the clones, and several episodes (Malevolence, Rookies, Tresspass, Ryloth). However, when compared to parts in the old show such as the scenes with the ARC troopers, and the Battle of Coruscant, no Lucas-made money earner can compare.

Edited by vulture droid

The old one by a country mile. It acutally made General Grevious a cool villain after his craptacular Episode III role. For that alone it is better. Also the droids as mentioned before, there is comedy, and then there is wannabe comedy, the new series does the latter quite a bit.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

I wholeheartedly agree with you, vulture droid! You make some very good points there! :thumbup:

Speaking about Grievous, he actually comes off as cold, powerful, and most of all, intelligent leader; not just an asthmatic cyborg who gets awesome battleships flown into moons, hangs up on his superiors, and spends his home-alone time swing around like a monkey.

Don't get me started on the new Grievous! :hmpf: He was sooo badass in the old cartoon, but now he's just a little b***h who runs away a lot! :hmpf_bad: The creators of the new show even attempted to rob him of the "grievous" part of his personality by claiming that he actually chose to be an asthmatic cyborg. :thumbdown: At least there is an explanation for him saying that (repression); otherwise I would be really angry.

when compared to parts in the old show such as the scenes with the ARC troopers, and the Battle of Coruscant, no Lucas-made money earner can compare.

Words of wisdom! :thumbup: This new show will never be able to achieve a scene that is as beautifully awesome as this:

860531990_m.gif

:cry_happy:

with reference to your statement about how droids shouldn't express feelings like that, do you say C-3PO and R2-D2 never showed feelings, because that is not true at all! :tongue:

:laugh: Of course I don't! As I said, I can understand that, under circumstances, a droid can develop feelings. Artoo & Threepio have been "living" for a long time now and have made a lot of experiences, so they have all reason to have feelings. :wink: Besides, they are droids that were made to interact with living beings, unlike the BDs who are meant to be metal soldiers without emotions or personality.

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Easily the new one. When you look at the space battles, they actually look like regular films. The movie was meh, with some good battles at first, then kerplunk. The TV series, however, has good plot, some unneaded repitition, and clone :wub: . The old TV series had a few good scenes, and then was filled with crap.

But thats just my opinion.

jifel

In my opinion the old CW were better :thumbup: . Here are my points:

- The new CW have longer and SOMETIMES better stories but as a whole I don´t feel that the stories have a lot of continuity or even as relevant as the ones of the old serie.

- I still can´t undestand how the CW last 3 years seeing how different both armies are :hmpf: . The clones have special tactical training and are intelligent soldiers while the BDs are just trash put together for shooting everything they see and what is even worse is that they don´t even hit the target :grin: .

- The older serie created the three most memorable villians of the PT (At least in my opinion) and in a way I still can´t understand, managed to explain some complicate backstory of each and the new one with just two of them, don´t achieve the same task with a lot more time :angry: .

- It seems that in the new series they have such a big character library that they can even kill each new one in the same episode they introduce it :hmpf: .

- The other one really showed the feel of the word "WAR" while the new one show the feel of the word "MONEY".

- The battles of the old one were really well done and show some great tactical plans while the new ones are just a bunch of destroyed ships and thousands of laser cannons.

I think these are all of them but I need to clarify that I don´t hate the new CW, in fact, I really like them but they just can´t beat what the older one manage to do in less than 2 hours as the entire series :wink: .

Ah yes, I also forgot two other reasons why the 2D series was better:

1. Durge

2. Ventress

Plus, the new series clashes with continuity so much that I get a headache trying to figure out when this or that happened, or when him or her died, or who did or did not have a padawan, etc.

Edited by vulture droid

Ah yes, I also forgot two other reasons why the 2D series was better:

1. Durge

2. Ventress

1. Yes i am too disapointed that Durge isnt in it. But they still have time to put him in!

2. Uhh Ventress is in the new one and in the new one she doesnt have eyes that make her look like shes on crack and she doesnt sound like shes lost her voice and she doesnt get completely mullered in her first battle with a jedi.

Right now thats over my favourite is the new one because of great animation, great storyline, great characters, great action scenes and unlike the old one no over exagerrated fighting styles.

EDIT: oh and for those of you who say that George Lucas ruined star wars with the clone wars. It's George Lucas's film. You can't ruin your own film.

Edited by Captain REX

2. Uhh Ventress is in the new one and in the new one she doesnt have eyes that make her look like shes on crack and she doesnt sound like shes lost her voice and she doesnt get completely mullered in her first battle with a jedi.

Good point, however, I feel that she was best used as a character during the Clone Wars: Obsession comic book series, as in the old series, she was only in the show for several episodes, and she was just a tool and it didn't really show her as an important character, and the only reason i felt she was good in the old series was because of the awesome lightsaber duel with Anakin.

EDIT: oh and for those of you who say that George Lucas ruined star wars with the clone wars. It's George Lucas's film. You can't ruin your own film.

Uhh, yes, you can. In fact, most people ruin their own films, and the big names in Hollywood tend to ruin a film through franchising. I don't know what you were stabbing at, but I think you just cut your own artery.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

- It seems that in the new series they have such a big character library that they can even kill each new one in the same episode they introduce it :hmpf: .

Aha! That's what I had forgotten in my first post. The Clone Commander and Mon Calamarian Jedi from the new episode both looked like interesting characters, and both of them were killed off. Not to mention the "New Commander Every Episode" thing. It seem's like we've seen more Commander's then actual troopers! Well, that is a bit of an exaggeration, but still...

I love both but if had to rank them than the newest one would be better. Simply because it has beter graphics and a good storylibe. Although the old one was good, it was only famous because it was shown after episode 2 and it helped fill in many gaps which the new one failed too.

Another thing I don't like about the new show too much is that all jedi are almost kind of the same. In the old cartoon, they all demonstrated individual powers, strengths, and weaknesses. In the new show, they all seem to be capable of the same things, except for Mace Windu who appears to be a bit more skilled. In both series, there are episodes focused on certain jedi, but in the new one, it could be any jedi most of the time. For example, the episodes focused on Kit Fisto were quite different. In the old show, we saw him using unique force powers such as force bubble, but in the new one, he does everything any other jedi would do. Of course, it's hard to have him using unique force powers outside of the water, but still.

Also, even though Yoda and Mace Windu seem stronger than the other jedi in the new show, they aren't much different from them, whereas they did awesome things in the old cartoon that clearly differentiated them from all other jedi such as moving a whole separatist landing craft with the force or taking out a whole army of SBDs with bare hands! Now that's the kind of stuff I'd like to see in the new CW series!

Thats because the fighting styles in the old one were WAY too over exaggerated. Just look at the live action films. You dont see the Jedi doing anything like those crazy and just ridiculous (not saying the styles are ridiculous just the fact that they can do those styles is) fighting styles in all 6 episodes