Just how cool is the CCB?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• I'm sorry I can't seem to decide just how cool it is
    • soooooo cool
    • Outstanding
    • Truly amazing, best idea ever!
    • I truly can't live life without it!

to describe it better, that's one way how a beweathered old cardboard roof could look:

Of course it also can be just built with brown plates and tiles, so it looks lke a normal wooden roof, or also for example with red/white bricks to let it look like a tent. But that should everybody decide for himseld, just a few ideas from me. :classic:

dsc00420yv6.jpg

w800.png

dsc00421jc0.jpg

w800.png

dsc00422mo2.jpg

w800.png

looking good so far MA!

Strawberry, as far as roofing vs not, thats the beauty you can do what ever you want, surprise us. If you want to incorporate the wall thats fine too as long as both ends of the plate can connect to another section its fine.

I wasn't too happy with the roof, it was kinda too colorful for what i like, so i changed it up to the following. Tell me what you think about it! :classic:

dsc00424ci2.jpg

w800.png

dsc00426bh9.jpg

w800.png

dsc00427zu1.jpg

w800.png

Great to see that the build has begun.

I've created topics on the blacksmith build and the stables build.

Links are in the first post of this topic.

At the top in the Community Build Index. - more usefull links will follow

I think the idea of a 3 studs wide wall is great.

But I think a 4 stud distance from wall to the edge of the baseplate would be more suitable and allow "breaking" the wall and build outwards and closer to the edge.

Which would be very usefull when building a tower for example:

modular051.jpg

how did I miss this topic, that's a really great Idea, but I don't have a lot of castle part :/ maybe I'll be able to make something like a little house .

how did I miss this topic, that's a really great Idea, but I don't have a lot of castle part :/ maybe I'll be able to make something like a little house .

Your the last applicant Guss :thumbup: , welcome aboard! You can sit back on the first 2 builds or join up for Stable or Blacksmith, just let me know how you feel.

Cheers

ISC

I'm going to wait for the end of the PTV, so I'll be sitting back , actually this entry ate the majority of my bricks^^

I "might" be interested in building a stable but what is the size limit ? 16x16 like in blacksmith?? That would be too small. The image in this page shows a 16x32 basepalte I think, if that's the limit it would make things easier.

I think cagri makes a valid point here.

Perhaps we should consider switching the baseplate size to the 16x32?

And I still think we should move the wall "back", having at least 4 studs from wall to baseplate edge.

(one can always put corners in the wall and move it outwards - still fighting time, I'll hopefully make an example of my idea later today)

I agree with the stable, 16x16 would be too small. But i think making every module 16x32 is a problem. For example the blacksmith area that would be way too big, in my opinion. It would be no problem to have 16x16 along with some 16x32, one bigger plate could always be on the opposite side of 2 smaller ones, imo. Also we shouldn't move the wall more inwards, that leaves too less space to build inside on the baseplate. Why move it inwards? Everything is happenng inside, so i don't see the point of having 4 studs free on the outside of the wall, since there's basically nothing to be built.

But i think making every module 16x32 is a problem. For example the blacksmith area that would be way too big, in my opinion.

I disagree. If the area is too big for your blacksmith, then you could consider building it in the left part of the baseplate and then just have a regular wall in the right part of it. Or perhaps a small fenced area with pigs or chickens or whatever. Use your imagination.

Also we shouldn't move the wall more inwards, that leaves too less space to build inside on the baseplate. Why move it inwards? Everything is happenng inside, so i don't see the point of having 4 studs free on the outside of the wall, since there's basically nothing to be built.

Moving the beginning of the wall on each baseplate inwards would allow a build to move outwards. This will become handy when building a corner. And again, if the space between the wall's starting point on the baseplate and the edge of the baseplate is deemed neccesary for a build. Then use your imagination and build outwards.

Are we going to have a rule on the design of the catwalk (if any)?

I think the only rules should be:

1. The wall has to be 3 studs wide.

2. The wall's "ends" are situated 4 studs from the edge of the baseplate.

3. The wall has a 1x2 brick with technic pin hole at 1st and 6th space counting from the baseplate.

4. When cornering the same 4 studs from the edge rule applies.

5. The wall is to be built primarily in light grey (adding other colours in a controlled manner is allowed)

See the below pics for clarification (yes I know I've used yellow. Strangely it's the only colour at my workspace right now)

The Wall height and 1x2 bricks with technic pin hole:(you are allowed to build higher than this)

ccb04.jpg

Straight wall section:

ccb05.jpg

Cornering:

ccb06.jpg

ccb07.jpg

How'd ya like them apples?

I agree with the stable, 16x16 would be too small. But i think making every module 16x32 is a problem. For example the blacksmith area that would be way too big, in my opinion. It would be no problem to have 16x16 along with some 16x32, one bigger plate could always be on the opposite side of 2 smaller ones, imo.

I completely agree. We should have two sizes, 16x16 for smaller "rooms" and 16x32 for bigger creations. This way we could bring then toegther without a problem and it gives us more opportunity to create.

Also we shouldn't move the wall more inwards, that leaves too less space to build inside on the baseplate. Why move it inwards? Everything is happenng inside, so i don't see the point of having 4 studs free on the outside of the wall, since there's basically nothing to be built.

I'm sorry Kim but I'm with metalandi here, we don't need to build the wall inside the creations. Wall will limit the space we have, besides it would be better to focus on the interior design rather than working on the wall. Here's my idea:

29.jpg

Every 16x16/16x32 section should have two walls. One (white wall) will lean on the great outer wall and the other one (red wall) will lean on the neighbour section. This way outer wall will not take room in our creations and every creation will automatically have three walls (not counting the one on the last left/right, depending on where we decide the place one wall) covering it. Then we can build the great wall over the light gray plates. This should work fine enough with interior modules. For exterior models such as bazaar, stables etc we may remove one wall (red wall) so they will actually be exterior.

30.jpg

And it will be modular when it comes to building them together. Brown Technic bricks shall connect the outer wall sections and each module will connect to the outer wall by the yellow Technic bricks. Besides we can have a standart outer wall if everybody doesn't build a wall by him/herself..

Edited by cagri

I completely agree. We should have two sizes, 16x16 for smaller "rooms" and 16x32 for bigger creations. This way we could bring then toegther without a problem and it gives us more opportunity to create.

I still think we should stick to one baseplate size.

Just integrate your smaller (16x16) design within a 16x32 baseplate or is that too difficult :tongue::wink:

As for the discussion on where to place the wall, I'd willingly give that up.

But I'll be damned if I gave this 16x32 discussion up :devil:

C'mon guys - it's waay too small and how can it be too big for you?

I still think we should stick to one baseplate size. Just integrate your smaller (16x16) design within a 16x32 baseplate or is that too difficult :tongue::wink:

Wouldn't that leave free space in the castle?? Rats will reproduce there quickly, you don't think deep enough :)

As for the discussion on where to place the wall, I'd willingly give that up. But I'll be damned if I gave this 16x32 discussion up :devil: ,C'mon guys - it's waay too small and how can it be too big for you?

There is never enough room for what I want to build. But bigger creations require more parts and I myself can't always afford it. And doN't give up, not many people came up with ideas for the module system :)

Wouldn't that leave free space in the castle?? Rats will reproduce there quickly, you don't think deep enough :)

:laugh::laugh:

Actually you don't think deep enough :tongue:

If the blacksmith is too small, then have an orc pull a wheel for some kind of mechanincal powering of a hammer. Just like the donkey does in Pirates of the Carribean. - Remember the fencing scene within the blacksmith? :grin:

I think that all questions should be posted as an FAQ of sorts in the first post- that way, they won't be asked again and again, and people wouldn't have to search between 5 some pages to find a specific answer. :tongue: Anyway, is a tavern up for grabs? I wouldn't mind doing that...

I still think that some parts should be 16 x 16 and others should be 16 x 32. I'm a bit confused though by that wall idea you had Cagri. I don't understand what you do with that grey area. I do the the idea of having 3 enclosed walls.

All I know, is the whatever we end up doing, it shouldn't be too confusing. Should I rebuild my blacksmith area once we decide on a new format?

I think it should everybody's own decision on how many walls to make and if he needs a 16x16 or a 16x32 baseplate. I have the feeling that otherwise the imagionation would be too limited. For example, i don't want to build side walls for my blacksmith's area as thrn the wooden roof would make no sense. it is thought to be an open room, at least the version i built. I think following guidlines would be enough to left enough for everyones personal imagination aswell as the fitting together to other modules:

- 3 studs thick outside walls that are built stud into the baseplate

- using a 16x16 OR 16x32 baseplate, depending on what is built on it

- if the wall is only a catwalk wall without a tower, 6 bricks high wall with one 2x2 hole-brick on the ground and one 5 bricks higher

I think with these guilines everybody should be able to build something creative and it would fit togethe rin the end. That's just my opinion.

Dear all,

sorry for not replying for a while, but my computer crashed on me friday.

I've managed to get it running again, but fingers crossed...

Here are some of my considerations for the community build:

In my current modular castle I've used a mixture of 20x20, 16x20, 22x20 and 16x16 sections.

The 20x20 was to allow for slightly more room when making a tower.

specifically a gate tower, since 16 studs deep is just a little too tight...

At least in my experience. That was also my main reason to abandon the 16x16 standard.

Or would that result in a 32x32 block for the community build?

Might it be an idea to agree on a castle layout and devide from there? Instead of holding on to standard baseplates?

And should we build some scenery as well?

For my castle I use a sandardised wall height.

Should we deside on a standard wall height for the community build as well?

<Edit> I see Metalandi is proposing a 6 brick heigh wall. Personally I think that is a little too low. Especially if one wants to make a two story high interior building?

Just some thoughts.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Edited by Teddy

A tavern would definitely great and belongs to a castle not less than a stable or blacksmith shop! :thumbup:

Uh, no it doesn't! :tongue:

Taverns are located in villages, not inside castles. And I'm under the impression that we are building a castle here, not a medieval village. But some sort of barracks for the guards and a dining room for the nobility should be in order.

cagri, I have a question about your wall-system: in your model, you have two walls against each other (the outer wall and the "white wall", which seems a bit redundant to me. Also, if every room is against the outer wall, where would windows go? What about upper floors?

I'm still not seeing the "big picture" here. You guys are all just talking about things that go on the yard of the castle - stables, blacksmith, chicken pen - but what about the actual castle building? It can't be just different things surrounded by a wall, can it?

Taverns can be located in castles- the soldiers have to eat, don't they? :tongue:

Taverns can be located in castles- the soldiers have to eat, don't they? :tongue:

That's why castles have kitchens. :hmpf:

Tavern is an old name for a bar or a pub, so it's a public building. As nice as I'd imagine it would to have your own pub inside your house, it's just not realistic for a medieval castle. But if the majority of you guys want a tavern to this castle, I can't really argue with you. :wink:

Well, if we don't include a tavern, i'd have an alternative. What if anyone builds a hall of knights? no Castle TLG ever made had that, and i also didn't see much moc's of something lke that yet. Here are a few pictures from "real life" halls:

Rittersaal_Eingang_mit_Cheminee.JPG

3634_kronborg_rittersaal_jo.jpg

rittersaal1_01.jpg

rittersaal3.jpg

Im happy for larger 16 x 32 baseplates or even 32 x 32 in future as well.

I would like to see some more people keen on stables too, I feel it will be a very challenging topic.

Making hay (loose or in bales) fencing, loft space perhaps, hey even brick built horses :tongue:

Here are some pics

New%20Stable%20084.jpg

stable%201s.jpg

stable-2.jpg

stable-idea.jpg

Lets get crackin!