Sign in to follow this  
Pego

[MOC] LWB Suzuki Samurai Rock Crawler

Hello 

Here's another Samurai, but this time a long wheelbase version. Even if it looks similar, it is not at all related to my previous Samurai, as this one has completely new axles and an XL motor to power it, while an M motor steers it via linear actuator. This one even has room for a midifigure! 

It has leaf spring suspension, and relatively little flex, but I like it, as it eliminates torque-twist too. The gearing is also very slow, an XL geared 5:1, but this makes it very controllable, and I enjoyed diving it much more like this than with faster gearing. I did try to make a gearbox work, and it did fit, but it just didn't hold up to abuse that well, so I took it out. 

I'm very happy with the front axle, as it uses the wheel hubs, but still has lots of clearance and doesn't have much camber. It has very precise steering too, thanks to the mini linear actuator. 

It has lights in the front too. 

35193991881_c9d28c4056.jpgLWB Suzuki Samurai rock crawler by Pego's Legos, on Flickr

35193988961_b0480ed86d.jpgLWB Suzuki Samurai rock crawler by Pego's Legos, on Flickr

35193995921_78f3e62f52.jpgLWB Suzuki Samurai rock crawler by Pego's Legos, on Flickr

34513527083_1c94660e6a.jpgLWB Suzuki Samurai rock crawler by Pego's Legos, on Flickr

34936301100_b89e496ecf.jpgLWB Suzuki Samurai rock crawler by Pego's Legos, on Flickr

34936312910_f6427696b0.jpgLWB Suzuki Samurai rock crawler by Pego's Legos, on Flickr

You did it again: smallest crawling cars by PEGO:classic::thumbup:

10 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Great performance, I live the simplicity of the design. I think a bit more flex in the suspension would be nice, but it is an awesome truck. :thumbup:

Thanks!
Sure, a little more flex could work, but I personally think suspension flex is over-hyped, you don't need 45 degrees of flex for it to be good. Mine is arguably however a tad too stiff, but there isn't much I can do. The front leafs are how they are, but the back has some tuneability. I wouldn't loosen it up, as that would sacrifice stability greatly, and to be fair, driving skill can almost always compensate for the flex, but it can't when you are hillclimbing. Still, feel free to argue with me on this one.

4 minutes ago, rm8 said:

You did it again: smallest crawling cars by PEGO:classic::thumbup:

Haha, I wouldn't call this one small, there's almost room for a smaller rock crawler under the seats :laugh:

Hello Pego, you built an awesome Suzuki samurai, I love the design and the functions, do you gonna make an LXF file for the samurai because I'm a big fan of the Samurai and I'm looking for building my 1/1 samurai in lego

I Am spending an immense amount of my limited free time rebuilding my unimog to be a great trial truck crawler and have stuffed around with different shocks and trying a thousand ways to fit them for best crawlability, and it now seems that I have totally wasted my time after seeing this awesome build.