Sign in to follow this  
Richard Dower

8880 alternate parts?

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=8880-1

Did this set come part mold/part revisions?....wa there like a 1st and 2nd edition released or something?

I see the Steering Arm were released in two different molds (pin vs. axle hole) and two colours (White vs. old Light Gray)

6540b.jpg

6540a.gif

If you have this set, what did you get?....which version/clour od the ORIGINAL released version?

Bricklink says 8880 came with both parts,

Part No: 6540b  Name: Technic, Steering Arm Large with Wheel Hub Holder - Axle Connection and Part No: 6540a  Name: Technic, Steering Arm Large with Wheel Hub Holder - Pin Connection

in also two different color variants. My 8880 came with WHITE parts, with PIN (round) holes.

Though, you can make both work by using either of these two pins.

Part No: 6628  Name: Technic, Pin with Friction Ridges Lengthwise and Towball and Part No: 2736  Name: Technic, Axle Towball

But of course, you already knew that :)

My first one came with white steering arms with the + holes for the grey towballs and black 16t clutch gears and an added amendment sheet for the instructions. My newer one came with white steering arms with O hole for the black tow balls with dark grey clutch gears.

Edited by allanp

I was thinking there was an edition with black clutch gears, i am trying to part out this set but trying to get the parts that proginally came with the first edition released etc.

Buying second hand you dont know what parts you're gonna get though. Could you scan that adendment part sheet?

Edited by Richard Dower

Like @allanp, I also have both the steering arms with + and with o holes. Both arms are indeed with, I've never seen the grey ones. I think mine also had the black clutch gears, although I should double check that.

I'll check if I have the amendment... I think it had instructions on it for the alignment (90 degrees of the lift arms before connecting the gears). I thought both my copies (+ version and o version) had the amendment sheet, but I'd need to check that to be sure.

I have no recollection of which version came first: my own copy came with the o version, and the second copy I got many years later had the + arms. I'm tempted to say that the o arms belong to the second revision.

1 hour ago, Richard Dower said:

I was thinking there was an edition with black clutch gears, i am trying to part out this set but trying to get the parts that proginally came with the first edition released etc.

Buying second hand you dont know what parts you're gonna get though. Could you scan that adendment part sheet?

019.jpg

This version seems to have been included with the instructions whereas mine came on a separate sheet.