I'm going to rebuild my first car, the 42029, and I'm starting with the wheels. LEGO Technic Claas Xerion 5000 TRAC VC - 42054 has the biggest wheels  I can find. (10.7cm x 10.7cm x 4.4cm)...Any tips?

I'm going to build the 42039 B so I should have a lot of extra parts which i can use for the 42029.

33 minutes ago, itoero said:

Any tips?

Do you have enough parts to make a model that will be aproximetally 50% bigger than 42039B?

3 minutes ago, itoero said:

Why bigger?

I thought those wheels fit on the same pins as on the 42029?

Ah, you are going to make something like a monster truck? With same size of the cab, but different chassis for bigger wheels?

4 minutes ago, M_longer said:

Ah, you are going to make something like a monster truck? With same size of the cab, but different chassis for bigger wheels?

Yes and I'll remove the parts used for the trunk and hook. I want to build a storage like in a SUV. And it has to be very sturdy.

The big tractor wheels have not arrived yet.

Edited by itoero

I saw a video were they removed the V6 engine and placed 2 XL motors at the differential that leads to the engine.

But then there is a lot of gear between the XL motors and the wheels...doesn't that reduce the power of the two XL motors?

Isn't it a lot better to put the XL motor in the chassis, close to the wheels?

How do I connect two XL motors? Do I put a gear on each motor and then connect the 2 gears with another gear that drives the wheels?

I don't want to start a new topic regarding rebuilding the 42029 but I decided to build a second one using spare parts and modify it a little.

Now I am at a crossroad and would like your imput. Should I put on the wheels from 42039, lower the suspension and do a lowrider truck:

OlFvQlK.jpg

OR put the wheels from 8297 and create a sort of monster truck?

7VTl4dh.jpg

Personally I was leaning towards the first option but after putting on those big wheels I kind of want to do both :sceptic:

Later I will RC it for some additional fun factor :classic:

For monster truck is more suitable to have live axles and not independent suspension which is bettet for lowrider pickup but they also have rear live suspension :wink: and wheels from 42000 set , specially if you can chrome them

So after a few days I came up with a little mod of the 42029 like below. The suspension is lowered but retains a travel of 1,5-2 studs. In the bottom out position the frame is on the ground. The doors and the hood open but not the bed cover (not yet). Nor is it RC yet. I am not happy with the way the front looks like and will recreate it in the future.

sNgp6NL.jpg

h8bA4pU.jpg

qjKHDUM.jpg

And a height comparison between the two.

lzeJmcv.jpg

Also a little mod of the 8292 B-model with a better dumper

SI7nTvm.jpg

Edited by Qukie
typo and 8292

2 hours ago, Qukie said:

So after a few days I came up with a little mod of the 42029 like below. The suspension is lowered but retains a travel of 1,5-2 studs. In the bottom out position the frame is on the ground. The doors and the hood open but not the bed cover (not yet). Nor is it RC yet. I am not happy with the way the front looks like and will recreate it in the future.

It looks really great! Looking forward to see the final result, but the only thing that I'd changed is a "double-layered" hood. So far it's an interesting combination of 42029 and 42039-B :sweet:

Thank you @Void_S the 'double layered' hood is a result of trying to create totally covering the wheel well/ inner fenders. A bit like the black curved panels at the sides of the engine of 42070, even though they imitate engine covers. I just moved the curved pannel two studs back and believe it looks better and less like two layers of hood. I hope to share more progress once I improve on the front.