15 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate 41587 Robin?

• 1997's Batman & Robin
    • Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Holy Spectacular Set Batman!

33039939432_ab6c6990b7_c.jpg

BrickHeadz is an exciting new Lego theme that depicts our favorite characters from movies, TV shows, games, and comics into fun and stylized collectible forms.  Each set contains a brick built figure with a build-able base, that includes a printed tile piece denoting the figure's wave number. Wave one consists of twelve unique and colorful characters based on The Lego Batman Movie, the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Disney's Beauty and the Beast and Pirates of the Caribbean. BrickHeadz is an exclusive theme from Lego, which means that you can only find the BrickHeadz sets at Lego brand retail stores and online from Lego Shop.

Before I begin this review, I would like to give my sincerest thanks to The LEGO Group (TLG) who have provided this set, and other wave one BrickHeadz sets, to Eurobricks making this review possible. The opinions expressed in this review are my own. 

Introduction

Oh Dick…that boy is all over the place. I’ll be honest in saying I’m not a big fan of the character (Batman works alone!), but I was very much impressed with the latest version depicted in the Lego Batman Movie. Granted there wasn’t much competition, but Michael Cera did a spectacular job nonetheless. That said, on a related note and sorry for the spoilers, but I do find that 41587 Robin is perhaps the weakest figure from this first wave of BrickHeadz. Want to know why? Read on! 

Set Stats

Name: 41587 Robin
Theme:  Licensed / BrickHeadz
Year: 2017
Pieces: 101
Minifigs: N/A
Price: USD $9.99, CA $12.99, DE 9.99€, UK £9.99
Resources: Brickset, BricklinkLego Shop

Packaging 

The BrickHeadz sets all come in the same size box (3.6 x 4.8 x 3.1), and 41587 Robin is no exception. As with all BrickHeadz sets, the box also includes a image of its source material, in this case an excited and roaring-to-go Robin minifigure. Inside the box is one instruction booklet, two part bags--one small and one large--and a loose 4x6 black plate which is used for the base.  

33196298435_6ed2d0e4af_z.jpg33156605226_fe88367f37_z.jpg

Interesting Parts 

As with all BrickHeadz, 41587 Robin comes with a number of useful printed and uncommon pieces. He comes of course with the printed 2x4 black wave indication tile and the standardized BrickHeadz eyes, but he also comes with a nicely printed, sharply detailed, Robin costume on a 1x4 red brick. Robin also makes use of some BrickHeadz standards, such as fourteen 1x2x2 modified bricks in Light Bley, which is a relatively new piece and one that's sure to become the Lego equivalent of penny candy after a few months of BrickHeadz being on the market. 

32352114954_ec0832f8d2_c.jpg

But on the less common side, Robin also comes with two reddish brown modified plates, with side studs. For the color, this is a rather new piece that's only in a few sets--one of which being 41595 Belle. But most notably, Robin comes with two life preserver pieces in black--a piece which in that color is rare and has most often shown up only in modular buildings, as well as the recent Arkham Asylum set.  

Build

I will note that as I'm reviewing the first wave of BrickHeadz, I'm doing so in numerical order. With that in mind, Robin does appear to have an above average build process. Granted I've just constructed Batman and Batgirl, who are particularly similar to each other in that regard. Still, Robin is fun to construct because of his use of bright colors and part variations. 

32352114024_409af047e2_z.jpg33156187456_8af22d752e.jpg

Like Batgirl, you'll find that Robin too uses a simple yellow 1x4 plate to give the suggestion of a utility belt. Here they technique works just as good, if not better, on Robin than Batgirl--Robin's belt now also alludes to the fact that his shirt continues underneath the belt, which is particularly accurate. Speaking of accuracy, when building Robin you'll also see a leg/hip variation. Using two additional tan plates, with a 2x2 green plate instead of the standardized 2x4 size, the aforementioned combinations create an enhanced emphasis on his um...open uncovered hips.     

Completed Figure

I just have to say it. It’s the glasses, I don't like them. I understand the intent behind them, and I love the use of the life preservers, but they just don’t work in combination with the standardized (black) BrickHeadz eye tiles. Robin’s goggles in the film have green lenses—why are they not green here? The 1x2 tile linking the lenses together doesn’t translate into anything other than a giant block on his face. The whole thing; the eyes, the ears, the hair, to me just comes off looking like a monkey. There I said it!

33198518765_7de660dc23_z.jpg33198518785_b7ed37a9af_z.jpg33198518755_96c409493b_z.jpg

Still, I will note that my initial impressions of Robin have soften. Having him in hand, I do find him vastly more appealing. His colorful getup is welcomed, and I do particularly like his cape which looks appropriately child like. 

Conclusion 

41587 Robin is indeed a nice figure. But when compared to other BrickHeadz, he doesn't hold up as well in the design department. Still, he would make a wonderful addition to one's collection, if given the chance. 

Score 

• Design: 3/5 - There's some questionable choices going on here. The glasses haven't translated very well.  
  • Parts: 5/5 - Speaking of glasses, those life preservers are particularly desirable.  
  • Build: 5/5 - Robin stands out from his Bat-family with variation in construction and color.  
  • Value for Price: 3/5 - Considering the quality of characters like Joker and Batgirl, Robin comes up at the back of the pack for overall desirability. 

My Score: (16/20)      B-

33175606666_a4c63eb8c6_z.jpg

Eurobricks BrickHeadz Reviews:

41585 Batman, 41586 Batgirl, 41587 Robin, 41588 The Joker41595 Belle, 41596 Beast41589 Captain America, 41590 Iron Man, 41591 Black Widow, 41592 The Hulk

On 3/2/2017 at 10:14 AM, Captain Nemo said:

The whole thing; the eyes, the ears, the hair, to me just comes off looking like a monkey. There I said it!

So I'm not the only one who thinks that! :laugh_hard: