FLP

The Resurrection of a LEGO Train (#4564)

Hey Lego Fans,

i am a proud owner of the classical 9V train #4564, it's the yellow freight train. I got it for christmas, if i remember correctly in 1994 (or maybe 1995?) so it's over 20 years old. After a long time i want to reconstruct the set and other train related Lego sets like #4555.

The big problem: All parts are in a big box, so i have to dig for the correct parts. Luckily manuals still exists. Today i started with the yellow locomotive, but i finished only the first few steps. Also i tried to look for parts from other sets and put them into another box.

As i tested the power car, i thougt it was broken, but the main problem was the worn out connection cable between the rails and the transformator. So i bought a new one on eBay. Also on eBay i bought some switches (because i want some as children) and some other rails.

The power car works good, i opened and cleaned it.

I really looking forward finishing the train, but it's not a fast job and will take some time, but it's ideal for long cold winter evenings :classic:

On my youtube channel i uploaded a video from the start situation. It is in german but has english subtitles.

Video

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

cheers

FLP

Edited by FLP

What a mess in that box! :laugh: There are even old gears from 70ies technics sets in there. Will you keep us posted when you build along? I'd like to watch your progress. Digging through old boxes, looking for parts and trying to complete some lost-in-time sets hase been what I have been doing for the last 3 months as well.

Btw, what is that modification on your track switches? Looks like a simple 1x2 block with a tile on top? I don't know if you have mentioned it in the video, don't have any sound here :(

Hey, thank you for your posts.

Yeah, in that box are some really old parts. I also found two of that electric light bricks, one with one light in the middle and one with two lights outside. I guess you know what i mean, and also that little sound module.

For sure, i will keep you updated with the progress.

The named switch modification was made by the eBay seller, he wrote that he had some troubles with the original levers, so he replaced them with the bricks, but it's okay for me.

Ah, the "Light & Sound" modules. If you have that small battery box for the 9V battery too, the set is complete and you are ready to go! The modification is interesting, I'll try that one if it is doable without any other modifications to the switches :thumbup:

Yes, Light and Sound. I tested it today and it still works, also the police siren. :classic:

It appears that you have a major sorting job ahead of you.  It could help with the rebuild.  :wink: 

Right now, i don't sort the parts. I just dig deeeeeeeep into the box and search for the right parts. Because the small parts sinks to the bottom, i help myself with two street tiles as retaining walls. The difficult part is not finding very small parts, the difficult part is finding very rare parts.

So the yellow train and the container truck and from set #4549 the grey waggon are nearly done.

Oh nice, set 4549 :) I have one at home, going to pick up another one in mint condition next week. Still one of my favourites from the 9V era. Have some pictures to share? :wink:

Seriously, I do think when you start to built old stuff again and you've to dig... it brings back childhood memories.
So have fun in and with the mess! Haha.

Looking forward to the next video ;)

On 21.10.2016 at 11:33 AM, connyx said:

Seriously, I do think when you start to built old stuff again and you've to dig... it brings back childhood memories.

Exactly this!

So, now an update.

The train is complete, also the waggons. From the blue closed waggon one of the roof parts is still missing. The containers are also done, but none of the buildings at the moment. I also built some not train-related vehicles like the amublance (#6666).

The video is here: To the video Its in german but with english subtitles.

To find some parts, i really searched long. For example the black handles for the train or the blue ones for the closed waggon. To find the last one of this parts, it was hard. Also these black LEGO heads for the power car. Stumbled across them at random.

But one part i never found until now is the red 2x8 technic plate from the red truck with the 7 holes in it. I think it's a part which you can't oversee but... it is not in any of my boxes. That's why i am curious if i will find all parts for the two vehicles of #4549

Edited by FLP

Bricklink is probably your best bet for your missing parts.  The red technic 2 x 8 plate is a common part and should be easy to get.  As for the roof part ( Slope 33 6 x 6 Double or Slope 33 3 x 4 ) they are also easy to get but be aware that LEGO changed a few colors in the early 2000's.  Make sure you get Light Gray and not Light Bluish Gray.  

Good luck with the rest of your ressurection project!

Dan-147

The light gray pieces are rising in price. Like Dan said, this colour has been abandoned by Lego somewhen in the past. That means supply of new parts is nearly non-existent and supply of used parts is drying up. The roof pieces are somewhere between 2,50 to 5,00 Euros a piece... the base for the Double Stack Container waggon is even worth around 7,00 to 12,00 Euros!

The rubber band for the truck can be substituted easily by normal rubber bands from your local super market.

Looking forward to the next update :classic:

PS: Äpfel mit Biss aus der Mark, sehr lecker !!! :thumbup:

So i found the red technic plate and also a black rubber band. So it's just the wire, that i need. I'd tried some from a hotel sewing kit, but this one was too thin.

And now the funny thing: I read the post from Dan-147 again and googled right now for the parts. I was irritated about the Slope 33 3 x 4  and thought that this is wrong because it has to be also one double part like the other two.

So i checked the manual again and... yes, i need two of the slopes, so i think there aren't any missing parts, i just have to find the two slopes.

The truck from #4549 is finished, just the round black tile is missing. But i have a question here: In which hole of the truck comes the kingpin of the trailer? Because when the black tile is placed at the end of the truck, you can usefully connect the trailer only to one hole of the truck but then the truck has a kilometre-wide turning circle...

Edited by FLP

I actually picked this up as my first 9v train set a couple years ago, and I was really impressed by it. The design seems simple, but it's probably the most fun I've had with play features in a LEGO set in a very long time. Cool to see that you're piecing it back together - good luck with the final stretch!

After long time an update. The reason this project took a break is, that i don't have the space in my small flat to keep the lego stuff built-on on the floor.

At first, i finished 4532, the railway crossing. Then, i tried to build 4555, the cargo crane, but i couldn't find the windows for the upper room. Strange. 

Around December 2016, i bought some old wagon sets on ebay, for example 4536, 4552 and 2126, which was errrm... a little bit costlier than expected :wink:

The 4553 Train Wash would be a nice addition, but when i look at the ebay prices... :thumbdown:

4541 and 4533 is also on my wishlist.

I modified my 4564 train a bit with Power Function LED lights and a self-made 9V battery adapter. Instructions on youtube. It works pretty good, even the space is very limited in that train. I made a video how it looks: 

As i remeber correctly with the B-model of that train, you can use Lego Light&Sound light bricks to get this light effect.