Cecilie

[MOC] Sebulba's podracer (Microfighter)

Built for the first round of the Imperium der Steine MOC Olympics, which tasks us to build a vehicle in the style of Lego's Microfighter series.

I like to build in strong colors, so I picked Sebulba's podracer. This also provided a lot of challenges because of the format of a podracer being quite different than what exists in the Microfighter series, but I'm quite happy with how it turned out. :sweet: Sebulba does not look too comfortable in his cockpit though! :tongue:

28178898532_b7b8c64ee5_c.jpg

Microfighter: Sebulba's podracer by Cecilie Fritzvold, on Flickr

28204416391_642f3cae2e.jpg

Microfighter: Sebulba's podracer (details) by Cecilie Fritzvold, on Flickr

Wonderful! I've always loved Sebulba's podracer, and I think you've captured its shape very well, even in such a small scale! In fact, your micro cockpit looks better than that of the 2011 minifig-scale set :laugh: I think that Sebulba looking unconfortable is not an issue, on the contrary, that's in the very spirit of microfighters :classic: And indeed, I think you could even shorten the anterior part of the cockpit by 1 stud, to make it a little more proportionate towards the engines (but i'm not sure, I would need to try and see the result).

Anyway, again, fantastic work!

Edited by Arthur Schopenhauer

If only Lego could sell a model as good as yours... Nice job by the way ! Do you know how much pieces did you use ?

Wow, you've made it so small, yet it looks as if a perfect scale for Sebulba! Wonderful job.

Thank you! :sweet: It could be a perfect scale for a "toy podracing for kids" maybe :laugh:

NPU on the pineapple. :laugh::thumbup:

:grin:

Wonderful! I've always loved Sebulba's podracer, and I think you've captured its shape very well, even in such a small scale! In fact, your micro cockpit looks better than that of the 2011 minifig-scale set :laugh: I think that Sebulba looking unconfortable is not an issue, on the contrary, that's in the very spirit of microfighters :classic: And indeed, I think you could even shorten the anterior part of the cockpit by 1 stud, to make it a little more proportionate towards the engines (but i'm not sure, I would need to try and see the result).

Anyway, again, fantastic work!

Thanks! :sweet: Haha, yeah the 2011 set cockpit is rather strange looking :laugh:. I don't think shortening the cockpit by 1 stud would have made it more proportionate, given that the size of the entire cockpit is already on the large size compared to the engines, which I guess is in the spirit of the Microfighters' somewhat deformed look :wink:

If only Lego could sell a model as good as yours... Nice job by the way ! Do you know how much pieces did you use ?

Thanks :sweet: Sadly my model is not very suitable as a set, given my use of some rather unstable techniques :wink:. I did not count the pieces, but I'd estimate there to be between 100 and 150 parts in there, probably closer to 150.

I think it looks great and you did a great job to get it looking correct in that scale.

Awesome! Your creation is so cute yet so sophisticated! I love how you made it chiby by making the engines more lumpy. The amount of detail is exceptional for a microfighter. The engines look genuinely greebly and have all of the right lines and shapes (even the slope at the back of those protrusions!). The structures on the sides of the pod give a lot of texture on a small scale, which makes the model look pretty big. The use of the pineapple is great as well as the clever use of the rubber band to cover up the gap and give some extra detailing. I find it really inspiring how you could apply the microfighter aesthetic to such an unlikely candidate (aw, Sebulba looks so cute and harmless now...) and at the same time show how detailed creations in that genre can actually be. That's a lot of skill expressed through only a couple of bricks!

Congratulations, and good luck in the further rounds of the IDSMO! When you're done there, I expect a full microfighter rendition of the Mos Espa race because this is just too good! :grin:

9223072399_3ef10becf7_o.png

super cool, maybe a little too big for Microfighter scale which is usually no bigger than 12 studs in any direction but a really build nonetheless. Would love to see if you can shrink it even further :)

Thank you everyone :sweet:

Awesome! Your creation is so cute yet so sophisticated! I love how you made it chiby by making the engines more lumpy. The amount of detail is exceptional for a microfighter. The engines look genuinely greebly and have all of the right lines and shapes (even the slope at the back of those protrusions!). The structures on the sides of the pod give a lot of texture on a small scale, which makes the model look pretty big. The use of the pineapple is great as well as the clever use of the rubber band to cover up the gap and give some extra detailing. I find it really inspiring how you could apply the microfighter aesthetic to such an unlikely candidate (aw, Sebulba looks so cute and harmless now...) and at the same time show how detailed creations in that genre can actually be. That's a lot of skill expressed through only a couple of bricks!

Congratulations, and good luck in the further rounds of the IDSMO! When you're done there, I expect a full microfighter rendition of the Mos Espa race because this is just too good! :grin:

Wow, thank you! :sweet:

Haha, I don't have any immediate plans for a full race, but I do like this enough that I will probably keep it around for a while, so who knows if I suddenly get the urge to flesh out a bigger scene and add another pod or two :wink:

super cool, maybe a little too big for Microfighter scale which is usually no bigger than 12 studs in any direction but a really build nonetheless. Would love to see if you can shrink it even further :)

I know it's not within Lego's usual Microfighter size, but given the nature of a pod's shape, I think this is the best way to represent it in a chibi way. I'd be interested to see Lego tackle the podracers in their Microfighter series to see how they would do it, but I am personally happy with this, and do not intend to try and shrink it any further. :wink:

Cute microfighter with some interesting techniques. I love how you implemented the pineapple decorated heads! :laugh:

Haha, thank you! Pineapple heads is totally my new favourite piece :laugh: